Favorite Comebacks? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Comebacks?

nobody
04-22-2005, 08:14 AM
The last few days, I've listened to a pair of records that served as comebacks of sorts for a couple female artists with storied careers that had fallen by the way side of late. Of course, while enjoying these, I began to wonder what comebacks other people have enjoyed as much as I was enjoying the following records...

<b>Wanda Jackson - Heart Trouble</b>
The Queen of Rock-a-Billy made this fantastic album in 2003, after over 20 years away from the recording business. It features a mix of classics, new material and a couple covers. One of the amazing things to me is that even though the record is filled with guests from Dave Alvin, to the Cramps, to Elvis Costello, Wanda stands front and center at all times. Most of the tunes trade on her classic rock-a-billy sound, although a few country ballads and a spiritual are highlights. I just hope she doesn't wait another 20 years before she puts something out again. (Oh...and the tour was great too...she absolutely had the crowd in her hands the whole time.)

<b>Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose</b>
Well, there's not much I can say about this one that hasn't already been said, but it sure was nice of that Jack White fella to get in there and bring out the best in ol' Ms Lynn. She hadn't been away from working nearly as long as Wanda, but she had pretty steadily fallen off the radar of most folks. Now, I'm curious if she'll keep on putting more out in a similar vein, much as Johnny Cash did with Rick Rubin, or if this was a one shot deal.

So...there are two that got me thinking...what are your favorite comebacks?