Is this a good buy? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good buy?

Holmes_19
04-22-2005, 12:55 AM
Hi viewers, i am 16, i have £100 and i am going to buy a second hand system off my dads friend, the system is 2 years old, in good condition and i have heard is worth well over £500 new.
The system compiles of a pioneer vsx808 RDS AV receiver, a yamaha yst-sw90 subwoofer which has got good reveiws and unsure about the model number 5 B&W speakers. It is going to be used in a 15ft x 14ft room. I am using this system instead of a pioneer VSXD514 some rubbish aiwa speaker and a set of sony bookshelfs and centre speakers.
reply A.S.A.P
DAN

paul_pci
04-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Hi viewers, i am 16, i have £100 and i am going to buy a second hand system off my dads friend, the system is 2 years old, in good condition and i have heard is worth well over £500 new.
The system compiles of a pioneer vsx808 RDS AV receiver, a yamaha yst-sw90 subwoofer which has got good reveiws and unsure about the model number 5 B&W speakers. It is going to be used in a 15ft x 14ft room. I am using this system instead of a pioneer VSXD514 some rubbish aiwa speaker and a set of sony bookshelfs and centre speakers.
reply A.S.A.P
DAN

Unless the equipment doesn't function properly it sounds like a great deal. But beyond the myopic question of whether or not it's a sound financial transaction, the more significant question is whether this set of equipment fits your needs. If it doesn't at all, for instance, even it the guy were giving it all away, what use would it be to you?

Holmes_19
04-27-2005, 12:39 AM
Unless the equipment doesn't function properly it sounds like a great deal. But beyond the myopic question of whether or not it's a sound financial transaction, the more significant question is whether this set of equipment fits your needs. If it doesn't at all, for instance, even it the guy were giving it all away, what use would it be to you?

I bought the system and for the size of the room the pioneer amp and the yamaha sub are a superb match, i can really feel the bass pumping inside my body, i will be setting up the surround and speakers this weekend to really try it out.
Oh yeah the speakers were 4 B&W 601 speakers, and a B&W centre, one of the tweeters was totally gone but i e-mailed B&W and the price was £20-£23 so i am very pleased with the lot.
Reply to thoughts about the speakers and i will get back to you on the performance of the whole set up when ready
DAN