New Yamaha YSP-1 Digital Sound projector [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Yamaha YSP-1 Digital Sound projector

amarmistry
04-21-2005, 07:14 AM
Has anyone actually demo this in a store or if anyone own it? The following link is for a review done in sound and vision magazine.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=807&page_number=1

If it is nearly as good as described in this review, I'd rather get this one than the Bose if the room space, wiring and connection was an issue. Whats your take?

paul_pci
04-21-2005, 09:51 AM
Has anyone actually demo this in a store or if anyone own it? The following link is for a review done in sound and vision magazine.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=807&page_number=1

If it is nearly as good as described in this review, I'd rather get this one than the Bose if the room space, wiring and connection was an issue. Whats your take?

www.audioholics.com has an indepth review of this product. If I remember correctly, they were duly impressed, given their expectations for such a device. To me it seems that it would be perfect alternative to the HTIB in a bedroom where a person or persons don't want a bunch of speakers run around the room and care not for audio quality in the way that most of us do.

edtyct
04-21-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm replying off the cuff, since I've never heard one of these, but I have read other reviews of it that give it its due. I can certainly see the appeal that it might have in situations that the S&V article mentions. But I can't help but think that those who have a little flexibility in space, and might benefit from a little flexibility in their hardware, might do well to consider other options at $1500. Three small unobtrusive speaker systems that come to mind immediately are Gallo's Nucleus, Energy's Take 5.2 or Act 6, and Hsu's Ventriloquist. Each would allow you to add a decent receiver to the mix and still be near the $1500 mark, although the Gallos would be inching toward $2000. Another thing to consider, relevant to the Yamaha YSP-1, is that full-complement self-powered speaker systems (five sats and a sub) based on DSP technology aren't far from the market now. For those who are cable-phobic, some of them may even have wireless capability. A couple of the companies to watch are Phase Technology and NHT. As impressive as a multi-driver DSP-driven single-chassis unit might be, a more traditional speaker array would be a better bet for sound quality, unless space really was an incontrovertible issue.

Ed

Woochifer
04-21-2005, 10:31 AM
It seems like the real deal as far as creating a better simulated surround effect without surround speakers. But, I would be kinda skeptical about the sound quality with two channel sources, and its overall performance with surround sources. There's simply no substitute for properly placed speakers and discrete channels.

That said, Yamaha seems to have taken a lot of the technologies that have been floating around (e.g. DSP-based self-powered speakers, digital crossovers, single-unit surround speaker systems, etc.) and packaged them together in a new way. We're talking about 40+ drivers on this unit, with individual digital amps for each driver. At the moment, this is a pretty unique component. Here's an earlier thread along with pics of the Yamaha and a single-unit speaker that M&K sells.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=10487

Woochifer
04-21-2005, 10:54 AM
I'm replying off the cuff, since I've never heard one of these, but I have read other reviews of it that give it its due. I can certainly see the appeal that it might have in situations that the S&V article mentions. But I can't help but think that those who have a little flexibility in space, and might benefit from a little flexibility in their hardware, might do well to consider other options at $1500. Three small unobtrusive speaker systems that come to mind immediately are Gallo's Nucleus, Energy's Take 5.2 or Act 6, and Hsu's Ventriloquist. Each would allow you to add a decent receiver to the mix and still be near the $1500 mark, although the Gallos would be inching toward $2000. Another thing to consider, relevant to the Yamaha YSP-1, is that full-complement self-powered speaker systems (five sats and a sub) based on DSP technology aren't far from the market now. For those who are cable-phobic, some of them may even have wireless capability. A couple of the companies to watch are Phase Technology and NHT. As impressive as a multi-driver DSP-driven single-chassis unit might be, a more traditional speaker array would be a better bet for sound quality, unless space really was an incontrovertible issue.

Ed

I agree that other small sub/sat systems could very well provide much better performance for the money, but I look at the YSP-1 as a unique product for a very specific market niche. The appeal of the YSP-1 is that you just plug in one digital audio cable, mount the unit on the wall, and you're good to go. This is simpler than even an integrated HTIB, because you don't have multiple speakers and cabling to account for. I see a market for this with people who bought a large flat panel TV, and want better sound than the TV speakers provide, but don't want a full blown home theater setup. This is not really for the audio enthusiasts, but more for the HGTV crowd.

The only other single-unit surround speaker that I'm aware of is the M&K MP-4512. But, that product still needs a separate receiver/processor and does not incorporate the DSP functionality or the self-powered digital amplification used in the YSP-1.

http://www.mksound.com/mp4512.htm

I don't know anything about what Phase Technology's doing, but I've read a lot about NHT's new self-powered DSP-based monitors. Seems like a more affordable version of what Meridian's been producing for the past decade, but even NHT's new line will still cost upwards of $5k+ for a two-channel system. I agree that traditional speaker arrays are the way to go for optimal performance, but consumers who consider wall-mounted or all-in-one systems obviously weigh other considerations.

edtyct
04-21-2005, 11:16 AM
Yeah, I suppose that certain people will simply jump at the chance to get it all in one simple package. And who can blame them, given the complexity, expense, and geography of home theater? For them, the convenience factor, or other less elective constraints, may well outweigh any compromises in sound quality, large or small.

Then, there's the other crowd, who'd love to get it all done easily but have the space and possibly the funds for more, as well as the lingering desire not to shortchange sound quality, within certain limits. The more these people find out, the less interested in the simple solution they may become. Or maybe not. It's nice to know that the Yamaha YSP-1s are out there, but also to know what their competition on various fronts is. I saw something about the NHT line, but not much, and nothing about Phase Technology except that something's in the works. Who knows how long trickle-down will take, but I suppose if sales at the mid-fi level are what generate the most revenue, sometime in the not too distant future self-powered DSPs will be all over the place. But those kinds of prediction are well beyond me.

Ed

Geoffcin
04-21-2005, 03:11 PM

There's a lot of people with plasma TV's in the bedroom and no way to run a full 5.1 system. Yamaha scoops the industry with this one.

Woochifer
04-21-2005, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I suppose that certain people will simply jump at the chance to get it all in one simple package. And who can blame them, given the complexity, expense, and geography of home theater? For them, the convenience factor, or other less elective constraints, may well outweigh any compromises in sound quality, large or small.

I think this is simply a follow-on with the growth in the flat panel TV market. The on-wall speaker segment is the fastest growing market right now, and Yamaha has simply taken that concept and combined it with the HTIB/integrated approach. If Bose is selling as many of those Lifestyle systems as they are, this sound projector looks like it will be even simpler to use than that one (just plug in a DVD player with one audio cable, and it's done).

Then, there's the other crowd, who'd love to get it all done easily but have the space and possibly the funds for more, as well as the lingering desire not to shortchange sound quality, within certain limits. The more these people find out, the less interested in the simple solution they may become. Or maybe not. It's nice to know that the Yamaha YSP-1s are out there, but also to know what their competition on various fronts is. I saw something about the NHT line, but not much, and nothing about Phase Technology except that something's in the works. Who knows how long trickle-down will take, but I suppose if sales at the mid-fi level are what generate the most revenue, sometime in the not too distant future self-powered DSPs will be all over the place. But those kinds of prediction are well beyond me.

I think the barrier to self-powered DSP speakers is pretty much the same problem that all active speakers have had in the U.S. consumer market. Consumers simply don't want to let go of their amplifiers, and going with active monitors means junking whatever investment one might have made in amplifiers or receivers. There are plenty of compelling reasons to go with DSP self-powered monitors -- adaptive EQ, line level digital crossovers, driver level time alignment, etc. -- but there's also a lot of ingrained resistance to overcome before consumers will transition to self-powered monitors.