Vandersteen 1Cs - initial impressions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Vandersteen 1Cs - initial impressions

dean_martin
04-20-2005, 02:39 PM
I heard these speakers in Marietta, GA for the first time yesterday. I've been waiting for an oppurtunity to hear some Vandersteens since I stumbled upon this site several years ago. My preconceptions were that the Vandersteens were more or less an "organic" speaker. They would present music in a natural, pleasing way but might lack some audiophile attributes that may or may not be realistic like pinpoint imaging, extreme detail, holographic 3-D presentation, etc.

I didn't have a choice in associated components because I walked in after taking care of business in Atlanta. The speakers were driven by a NAD C320BEE integrated with a NAD cd player, probably the current BEE model but I'm not sure. I was a little skeptical because of what I've read here about the 320BEE's tendency to mess up the soundstage. I'm not even sure if the 1Cs were set up properly. They were on their Vandy stands, though which I understand are necessary for best performance. These small stands lift the front of the speaker off the floor no more than about 4". Thus, the speakers are tilted back slightly. The 1Cs were slighly towed in. Since I'm not a good judge of distance, I would guess the speakers were about 6-8' apart measured from the middle of each - probably closer to 6'. I was not in a dedicated listening room, but in the front of the store with a wall about 2 1/2 ft behind the speakers and a glass window about 3 ft behind me. Side walls were a considerable distance from the setup. I listened from about 6ft, then nearfield at about 2ft. Here's what I heard:

I was surprised at the detail these speakers revealed. The cd was not familiar to me, but it was drenched in reverb. The instruments included sax, bass, guitar, keyboard, drums etc. It was kinda jazzy with a funk beat. As I said it was drenched in reverb. You could hear the notes linger from the reverb even when another note would begin. Rests during and the endings of each track were uncanny in that every drop of reverb and decay could be heard. But, this didn't intefere with the attack of the next note. In fact, attacks had impact. This was particularly noticeable on bass solos and staccotos. The aforementioned bass was impressive. I thought the 1C would be a small floorstander, but it was taller and a little wider than I expected. The bass repsonse in volume and extension was more than adequate in relation to size. Being accustomed to bookshelf speakers, I had no issues with the quantity of bass. I was only mildly concerned about the quality. The midbass was slightly pronounced compared to the low bass and the midbass may have been a little fatter than what I would consider natural. The lowest bass notes were audible and succinct, but seemed to be presented a little more cohesively than the midbass. This may have been a product of setup. But, this was not a major issue at the time and my mind may be emphasizing it more now than is appropriate. Overall, I was impressed with the bass performance.

Again, the treble output I thought was incredibly detailed without being nasty. Details were plentiful. Cymbals sounded like cymbals and not a tinny haze of white noise.

The soundstage was there between the speakers. You could tell where instruments were located in the mix (or on the stage). But, their positions weren't overly pronounced. The soundstage began at the plane of the speakers, but didn't seem to go very deep. The presentation was almost 2-D where instruments are spread across the stage but at the same depth. I don't know whether this was attributable to the recording, the setup or the 320BEE. This simply reminded me that next time I should come prepared with my own music and a little more time.

My initial impression is that the 1C is an excellent speaker overall. I was impressed with the treble response because it really dug into the recording and revealed what I would consider to be all the detail there was to reveal without spitting it in your face or grating your ears. The bass extension was impressive for a manufacturer's entry-level speaker. The bass quality was good too, but I would like to experiment a little more to see if the midbass hump could be eliminated. I understand that Vandersteen includes an excellent manual with very specific setup guidance that might be helpful in this regard. Finally, I would also like to experiment a little more to see if the 1Cs can present a sound stage with some depth. I don't mind that the soundstage begins at the front plane of the speakers instead of being thrown out into the room. On my on system, I enjoy that sensation because it pulls me in; however, I'm used to the soundstage going all the way to the back wall and sometimes apparently beyond it with certain sources and recordings. As a result, I wasn't ready to walk out of the store with them, but I was intrigued enough to want to give them another chance.

These can be had with stands for between $800 and $900. I didn't press for the absolute lowest price because I wasn't going to buy - maybe next time.

Buzz Roll
04-20-2005, 03:41 PM
I remember the first time I heard a pair of 1Cs, my impressions were very similar. I really gravitate towards time coherent designs and Richard Vandersteen has been doing it longer than anyone - he has it down. It's true that they are in the laid-back camp if you want to call it that, but many think that sounds more like real music. You get detail, mid-range resolution and soundstage through good design and not hyped frequencies.

Anyway, that's my thing and I know there are others out there who can't stand Vandersteens (sometimes I wonder if they were set up properly in some of these instinces). I would like to hear your comments afer giving your ears a rest and listening with your own material. Although I am a Vandy fan, I ended with a pair of Ohm MicroWalsh Talls due to space and placement issues in my home. They share some similar qualities to the Vandys.

Woochifer
04-20-2005, 06:01 PM
It will be interesting to see how your impression holds up when you play your own music through the Vandys. More so than most speakers, Vandys split the listeners right down the middle -- a lot of people love 'em, others hate 'em. I had very mixed impressions when I tried out the 1C and 2Ce. The Vandys imaged better than just about any other conventional driver speaker I've ever heard, but they also did some bizarre things to the music that I played through them. It was frustrating because the Vandys did some things exceptionally well, and did other things that left me puzzled.

The design of the Vandys is definitely unique, and even though they look large, the Vandys actually use a minimal amount of cabinetry. Most of what you see is basically a fabric wrapped frame with the drivers mounted on an angled bracket.

dean_martin
04-20-2005, 07:11 PM
It will be interesting to see how your impression holds up when you play your own music through the Vandys. More so than most speakers, Vandys split the listeners right down the middle -- a lot of people love 'em, others hate 'em. I had very mixed impressions when I tried out the 1C and 2Ce. The Vandys imaged better than just about any other conventional driver speaker I've ever heard, but they also did some bizarre things to the music that I played through them. It was frustrating because the Vandys did some things exceptionally well, and did other things that left me puzzled.

The design of the Vandys is definitely unique, and even though they look large, the Vandys actually use a minimal amount of cabinetry. Most of what you see is basically a fabric wrapped frame with the drivers mounted on an angled bracket.

Trying to fit in a speaker auditioning session when I'm on a business trip is tough. I can't call ahead because I can't commit to a "personal" appointment. The last time I went to Atlanta I was able to listen to some Meadow Lark speakers. I'm still looking for something in the $1000 range that makes me say "Yes, these are definitely better than what I have now." I've listenend to some Revel Performa F32s that impressed me, but they were well out of my price range. I still intend to listen to the Von Schweikert VR-1s. I found a dealer on the MS coast. I just need to find the time to make the trip. I would like to listen to the Dynaudio Audience 42s or 52s, but haven't located a dealer within a reasonable distance. Next on my list is the Paradigm Studio series. I've located 2 dealers within an hour's drive (opposite directions) that carry both B&W and Paradigm. I've listened to some B&Ws and some Paradigm monitor series and Titans. I haven't heard anything that was head and shoulders over my Acoustic Energy Aegis Ones except for the Revels. The B&W CDM-1NTs were good with an amazing tweeter, but they didn't surpass my AEs in my listening room for balance - not enough low end. If I had the room for a good sub, I might have gone with them. I'm trying to improve my music only stereo system. I listen mainly to LPs and FM on this system, so I thought the Vandys just might fit my old school listening habits. I've visited the Vandy website and the pictures do show the speakers' interior and basic frame w/a "sock" - no traditional cabinet. The money must be spent mainly on the parts that count then, right?

I remember when the Vandys got a lot of love around here. In fact, there was a member whose moniker was Vandy before all the changes to this site. He was very knowledgeable and helpful about all kinds of speaker designs. He and others helped me choose a design for my family room. The speakers had to be placed in the built-in speaker cabinets of an entertainment center according to the wife. Those guys suggested an acoustic suspension design - no port. The NHT SuperOnes fit the bill. They're not my favorite music speakers, though they do well enough. But, they kick butt with movies and blend well with our Velodyne sub. Anyhow, I'm almost done with the walk down memory lane - were you here when the Nohr fad hit? Man, that's about all that was discussed with several pics of these pod shaped speakers made out of gourds! Finally, I think some folks got a little tired of reading about Nohr everyday and started dissing them. It turned into a full scale Nohr revolt.

dean_martin
04-20-2005, 07:24 PM
I remember the first time I heard a pair of 1Cs, my impressions were very similar. I really gravitate towards time coherent designs and Richard Vandersteen has been doing it longer than anyone - he has it down. It's true that they are in the laid-back camp if you want to call it that, but many think that sounds more like real music. You get detail, mid-range resolution and soundstage through good design and not hyped frequencies.

Anyway, that's my thing and I know there are others out there who can't stand Vandersteens (sometimes I wonder if they were set up properly in some of these instinces). I would like to hear your comments afer giving your ears a rest and listening with your own material. Although I am a Vandy fan, I ended with a pair of Ohm MicroWalsh Talls due to space and placement issues in my home. They share some similar qualities to the Vandys.

I did a little research on the Ohm speakers a while back. I was looking for something with a similar design to Energy's former top of the line Audissey series. The Ohms were recommended by someone here as having a similar design. I don't think the design was quite the same but the effects seemed to be similar. The Audissey used front and back tweeters.

Buzz Roll
04-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Sounds like you have a pretty good list of speakers to try. Another company to check out is Green Mountain Audio - the Europa is about a grand and it's time coherent. RGA recommends Audio Note and he says they are also time aligned.

I'm not familiar with the Energys, but I think you're right about the designs being different. The thing to remember with the Ohms is that they are not true omnis. They are diffused in the back so as not to have another image conflicting off of the back wall. They do have an amazing soundstage in all directions (they disappear), but my favorite aspect is the neutral sound. The tweeter kicks in around 8k, so the critical mids are unaffected and the crossover is a simple 1st order. With the tweeter perched on top of their funky mid-range, you have a point source similar the Vandersteens.
Review:
http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/walsh/micro.html

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/ohm/ohm.html

I asked the reviewer if the Ohm's sound is gimmicky and if I'll tire of it over time. He assured me that's not the case - I've had them a month over the 4-month trial period and I'm not sending them back - I've compared them to a lot of speakers.

dean_martin
04-20-2005, 08:23 PM
Sounds like you have a pretty good list of speakers to try. Another company to check out is Green Mountain Audio - the Europa is about a grand and it's time coherent. RGA recommends Audio Note and he says they are also time aligned.

I'm not familiar with the Energys, but I think you're right about the designs being different. The thing to remember with the Ohms is that they are not true omnis. They are diffused in the back so as not to have another image conflicting off of the back wall. They do have an amazing soundstage in all directions (they disappear), but my favorite aspect is the neutral sound. The tweeter kicks in around 8k, so the critical mids are unaffected and the crossover is a simple 1st order. With the tweeter perched on top of their funky mid-range, you have a point source similar the Vandersteens.
Review:
http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/walsh/micro.html

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/ohm/ohm.html

I asked the reviewer if the Ohm's sound is gimmicky and if I'll tire of it over time. He assured me that's not the case - I've had them a month over the 4-month trial period and I'm not sending them back - I've compared them to a lot of speakers.

The 120 day trial period for the Ohms suggests a very confident manufacturer. They must not have many returns.

Thanks to RGA, I feel like I've known AN speakers all my life. Seriously, I've kept up with comments on Green Mountain, AN and de Cappo speakers hoping that one day I might be able to audition them. I've thought about trying the Magneplanar MMGs also.

Buzz Roll
04-20-2005, 08:46 PM
Come on, you know you want to try the ANs.
I really liked the deCapos. I haven't heard the MMGs, but I finally heard the 1.6, and I think the other was a 3.6. I'd like to go back and hear them again. I like the sound, but they'd never fit properly into my living room. Coming from the Ohms and their really big sweet spot, the Maggies sound changed drastically if I moved, especially standing up. The 3.6s were huge speakers. It was a little weird hearing a hi-hat 7 feet in the air. I've heard people say that Maggies are rolled off, but I found them very bright. After about an hour I went into the room next door and I will say that all of the floorstanders sounded pretty boxy.

Jimmy C
04-21-2005, 05:52 AM
I heard these speakers in Marietta, GA for the first time yesterday. I've been waiting for an oppurtunity to hear some Vandersteens since I stumbled upon this site several years ago. My preconceptions were that the Vandersteens were more or less an "organic" speaker. They would present music in a natural, pleasing way but might lack some audiophile attributes that may or may not be realistic like pinpoint imaging, extreme detail, holographic 3-D presentation, etc.

I didn't have a choice in associated components because I walked in after taking care of business in Atlanta. The speakers were driven by a NAD C320BEE integrated with a NAD cd player, probably the current BEE model but I'm not sure. I was a little skeptical because of what I've read here about the 320BEE's tendency to mess up the soundstage. I'm not even sure if the 1Cs were set up properly. They were on their Vandy stands, though which I understand are necessary for best performance. These small stands lift the front of the speaker off the floor no more than about 4". Thus, the speakers are tilted back slightly. The 1Cs were slighly towed in. Since I'm not a good judge of distance, I would guess the speakers were about 6-8' apart measured from the middle of each - probably closer to 6'. I was not in a dedicated listening room, but in the front of the store with a wall about 2 1/2 ft behind the speakers and a glass window about 3 ft behind me. Side walls were a considerable distance from the setup. I listened from about 6ft, then nearfield at about 2ft. Here's what I heard:

I was surprised at the detail these speakers revealed. The cd was not familiar to me, but it was drenched in reverb. The instruments included sax, bass, guitar, keyboard, drums etc. It was kinda jazzy with a funk beat. As I said it was drenched in reverb. You could hear the notes linger from the reverb even when another note would begin. Rests during and the endings of each track were uncanny in that every drop of reverb and decay could be heard. But, this didn't intefere with the attack of the next note. In fact, attacks had impact. This was particularly noticeable on bass solos and staccotos. The aforementioned bass was impressive. I thought the 1C would be a small floorstander, but it was taller and a little wider than I expected. The bass repsonse in volume and extension was more than adequate in relation to size. Being accustomed to bookshelf speakers, I had no issues with the quantity of bass. I was only mildly concerned about the quality. The midbass was slightly pronounced compared to the low bass and the midbass may have been a little fatter than what I would consider natural. The lowest bass notes were audible and succinct, but seemed to be presented a little more cohesively than the midbass. This may have been a product of setup. But, this was not a major issue at the time and my mind may be emphasizing it more now than is appropriate. Overall, I was impressed with the bass performance.

Again, the treble output I thought was incredibly detailed without being nasty. Details were plentiful. Cymbals sounded like cymbals and not a tinny haze of white noise.

The soundstage was there between the speakers. You could tell where instruments were located in the mix (or on the stage). But, their positions weren't overly pronounced. The soundstage began at the plane of the speakers, but didn't seem to go very deep. The presentation was almost 2-D where instruments are spread across the stage but at the same depth. I don't know whether this was attributable to the recording, the setup or the 320BEE. This simply reminded me that next time I should come prepared with my own music and a little more time.

My initial impression is that the 1C is an excellent speaker overall. I was impressed with the treble response because it really dug into the recording and revealed what I would consider to be all the detail there was to reveal without spitting it in your face or grating your ears. The bass extension was impressive for a manufacturer's entry-level speaker. The bass quality was good too, but I would like to experiment a little more to see if the midbass hump could be eliminated. I understand that Vandersteen includes an excellent manual with very specific setup guidance that might be helpful in this regard. Finally, I would also like to experiment a little more to see if the 1Cs can present a sound stage with some depth. I don't mind that the soundstage begins at the front plane of the speakers instead of being thrown out into the room. On my on system, I enjoy that sensation because it pulls me in; however, I'm used to the soundstage going all the way to the back wall and sometimes apparently beyond it with certain sources and recordings. As a result, I wasn't ready to walk out of the store with them, but I was intrigued enough to want to give them another chance.

These can be had with stands for between $800 and $900. I didn't press for the absolute lowest price because I wasn't going to buy - maybe next time.

...most of your impressions. For me, I could never get around that mid or upper bass hump - it was very pronounced to these here ears. The 2CE doesn't seem to have this trait.

If you liked the Revels, (I have the M20s) a used pair can be had for almost half price.

The de Capos are also nice. They have a slight elevation similar to the Vandies, but nowhere near as pronounced. They're efficient, dynamic, and can soundstage very well. Again, these can be had for half retail, used.

The Paradigm Studios are at least "good", and sometimes seem better than that, (I have a pair of 60s), but not at the Revel or de Capo level.

IMO, the Dynaudios are a safe bet if you want new, and under a grand.

Keep us posted...

topspeed
04-21-2005, 11:08 AM
I did a little research on the Ohm speakers a while back. I was looking for something with a similar design to Energy's former top of the line Audissey series. The Ohms were recommended by someone here as having a similar design. I don't think the design was quite the same but the effects seemed to be similar. The Audissey used front and back tweeters.

Dino, my friend, if you like the sound and design of Audissey's, why not buy these? (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1118506152) The seller is a good friend of mine and he takes meticulous care of his equipment. The lucky dog has his own music room where these resided, right down to dedicated power lines for the built-in subs. Most of the time, he had them biamped with either CJ and/or Stratos amps and based on our listening sessions, he rarely exceeds 82-84dB's so rest assured they weren't overdriven. Excellent sounding speakers provided you have the space for bi-polar speakers (although the rear signal is intentionally out of phase on the Audissey's for near-wall placement). A word of caution, the built-in subs can overpower a room if you don't have the space or properly treat it, but boy howdy are they dynamic! I prefer the sound of the Audissey's to Energy's succeeding Veritas line.

PM me if you want more info.

Duds
04-21-2005, 11:28 AM
I plan on ordering my VR-1's next month. I found a dealer in Connecticut who is giving me an insane price on them with the stand, and is willing to let me listen to them for a couple of weeks to decide if I want to keep them. Everything I have heard about them has been very positive, but you know how ears can be different on every person...

Woochifer
04-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Trying to fit in a speaker auditioning session when I'm on a business trip is tough. I can't call ahead because I can't commit to a "personal" appointment. The last time I went to Atlanta I was able to listen to some Meadow Lark speakers. I'm still looking for something in the $1000 range that makes me say "Yes, these are definitely better than what I have now." I've listenend to some Revel Performa F32s that impressed me, but they were well out of my price range. I still intend to listen to the Von Schweikert VR-1s. I found a dealer on the MS coast. I just need to find the time to make the trip. I would like to listen to the Dynaudio Audience 42s or 52s, but haven't located a dealer within a reasonable distance. Next on my list is the Paradigm Studio series. I've located 2 dealers within an hour's drive (opposite directions) that carry both B&W and Paradigm. I've listened to some B&Ws and some Paradigm monitor series and Titans. I haven't heard anything that was head and shoulders over my Acoustic Energy Aegis Ones except for the Revels. The B&W CDM-1NTs were good with an amazing tweeter, but they didn't surpass my AEs in my listening room for balance - not enough low end. If I had the room for a good sub, I might have gone with them. I'm trying to improve my music only stereo system. I listen mainly to LPs and FM on this system, so I thought the Vandys just might fit my old school listening habits. I've visited the Vandy website and the pictures do show the speakers' interior and basic frame w/a "sock" - no traditional cabinet. The money must be spent mainly on the parts that count then, right?

Wow, sounds like you clock a lot of mileage just to hear things. The unfortunate part of this is that the idea of borrowing speakers for home comparisons is not quite as feasible when your dealers are so far apart. Vandersteen claims that their design minimizes the cabinetry costs, and they can apply the cost savings to obtaining better drivers. The irony is that Vandersteens are made in a rural town in Central Cali. (topspeed lives that general area), and there aren't any Vandy dealers within a two-hour drive of that town!

I remember when the Vandys got a lot of love around here. In fact, there was a member whose moniker was Vandy before all the changes to this site. He was very knowledgeable and helpful about all kinds of speaker designs. He and others helped me choose a design for my family room. The speakers had to be placed in the built-in speaker cabinets of an entertainment center according to the wife. Those guys suggested an acoustic suspension design - no port. The NHT SuperOnes fit the bill. They're not my favorite music speakers, though they do well enough. But, they kick butt with movies and blend well with our Velodyne sub. Anyhow, I'm almost done with the walk down memory lane - were you here when the Nohr fad hit? Man, that's about all that was discussed with several pics of these pod shaped speakers made out of gourds! Finally, I think some folks got a little tired of reading about Nohr everyday and started dissing them. It turned into a full scale Nohr revolt.

I remember some of the old school guys. The Vandys though I always remember having more of a love-hate kind of dynamic, and I can see why those speakers are so polarizing.

I was also around when the nOhrs came out. That was quite an intriguing phenomenon. I think the nOhrs got so much run because they were one of the first internet-direct speakers. Other factory-direct speakers have been around for years, and sold through catalogs and magazine ads (i.e. Cambridge Soundworks and Ohm), but the nOhrs were born online and for whatever reason, a lot of people gravitated to that. I still remember one of the nOhr flamebaiting threads talking about how nOhrs were made out of human skulls. It was a lame joke, but for some reason, a couple of the nOhr fanboys did not appreciate that insinuation and that sparked one of the all time meltdowns on this board. That whole flame war was pretty hilarious, until the trolls came in and started making up fake screen names and repetititve threads.

I think the nOhr fad died out when other internet-direct speakers came onto the market, and the fanboys moved onto the new flavor of the month. That revolt on this board I think occurred because a lot of the regulars did not appreciate the incessant hype that accompanied these internet-direct speakers that you could only try out if you bought them first. The Swan Divas also got a lot of hype (and flak), but the nOhr's novel design made them more of a ripe target. Even now, there's the same kind of fanboy devotion to the internet-direct speakers, but it with so many more choices, it's more spread out between different brands, and seemingly less annoying than when it was all about the nOhrs and the Divas.

JoeE SP9
04-21-2005, 05:23 PM
A friend once replaced a pair of Maggy MG3's with some Vandy's. As a planar lover I was apalled. Actually they were less boxy than most other boxes I've heard. All in all they sounded quite good.

dean_martin
04-22-2005, 08:02 AM
Dino, my friend, if you like the sound and design of Audissey's, why not buy these? (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1118506152) The seller is a good friend of mine and he takes meticulous care of his equipment. The lucky dog has his own music room where these resided, right down to dedicated power lines for the built-in subs. Most of the time, he had them biamped with either CJ and/or Stratos amps and based on our listening sessions, he rarely exceeds 82-84dB's so rest assured they weren't overdriven. Excellent sounding speakers provided you have the space for bi-polar speakers (although the rear signal is intentionally out of phase on the Audissey's for near-wall placement). A word of caution, the built-in subs can overpower a room if you don't have the space or properly treat it, but boy howdy are they dynamic! I prefer the sound of the Audissey's to Energy's succeeding Veritas line.

PM me if you want more info.

Thanks, Speedy. I don't see the Audisseys on ebay or audiogon very often - maybe once every 3 or 4 months. I was going through some back issues of Sound & Vision last year looking for some floorstanders that might do well in a large game/music room for my teenage boys and their friends (and for me too of course). S&V used to have a series where they would hold listening session with different musicians. They had the members of Phish listening to pairs of JBLs, NHTs and the Audisseys (the same model as your friend's, I think). The Audisseys seemed to be the clear winner with every track they listened to. They were comparing these speakers in a large barn that Phish had turned into a studio. Of course by the time I reviewed the article, the Audissey line was replaced by the Veritas.

Unfortunately, I don't have the large room yet. I've got the plans and have discussed them with a builder. I just have to cough up the dough. BTW, if that article is on S&V's website your friend might be able to add a link to beef up his pitch.

jocko_nc
04-23-2005, 07:37 AM
I am a big Vandy fan...

If I were in the market, I would look for a lovingly-cared for used set. I would go right past the 1C's and go to the 2Ce's. Check them out. Crank them up a bit. There is no comparison, IMO, the 1C's are too small to get the job done. These speakers really need high power and high current to make them come alive.

Woochiefer, I think, always says these are love 'em / hate 'em speakers. Find someone with 2Ce or 2Ce signatures who fell into the hate 'em category and offer to relieve him from them. Check the used sites.

Good luck.

Geoffcin
04-23-2005, 09:57 AM
I am a big Vandy fan...

If I were in the market, I would look for a lovingly-cared for used set. I would go right past the 1C's and go to the 2Ce's. Check them out. Crank them up a bit. There is no comparison, IMO, the 1C's are too small to get the job done. These speakers really need high power and high current to make them come alive.

Woochiefer, I think, always says these are love 'em / hate 'em speakers. Find someone with 2Ce or 2Ce signatures who fell into the hate 'em category and offer to relieve him from them. Check the used sites.

Good luck.

He's pretty happy with them too.