OT: Any of you have a wireless router for your... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any of you have a wireless router for your...

Swish
04-20-2005, 02:05 PM
broadband internet? I've been using one made by Belkan for about 2 years but I think I need to replace it. I have Comcast cable but keep losing my connection, and I don't think the problem is Comcast. We can't run cables throughtout the house, so the wireless router is the way to go. When it works, it's great, but it's been causing more trouble than it's worth lately. I was just wondering if anyone else has one and what your experience with them has been.

Much obliged,
Swish

Mr MidFi
04-20-2005, 02:13 PM
I have one at home. Don't know much about it; it's really my wife's thing. But I do know this...the 2.4 GHz cordless phone was messing with it. We had to get another phone.

Just a thought.

N. Abstentia
04-20-2005, 07:39 PM
Yes, a 2.4ghz phone will kill it in an instant.

dean_martin
04-20-2005, 08:02 PM
We use wireless routers for DSL at home and at my office. Both are made by Linksys. I've had to reset the one at the office twice - very simple process. Ours at both locations is the Wireless - G Broadband Router. Linksys can be found just about anywhere. I guess they would have a model for cable tv?

Swish
04-21-2005, 03:03 AM
We use wireless routers for DSL at home and at my office. Both are made by Linksys. I've had to reset the one at the office twice - very simple process. Ours at both locations is the Wireless - G Broadband Router. Linksys can be found just about anywhere. I guess they would have a model for cable tv?

so I guess I need to check them out. You mention having to reset it twice? Crap, I've had to reset the Belkin as many as 20-30 time in one day! I thought my cable connection was flawed, but after bypassing the Belkin, I quickly found out that it was the problem as my internet connection hasn't been lost even once since then. Problem is, with the Belkin off, my wife can't use the internet in her office down the hall. I guess I need to get that Linksys ASAP!

Thanks for the info,

Swish

KEXPMF
04-21-2005, 10:11 AM
just for kicks, you might also trying getting a new cable.
I had that problem once and that fixed it. Turned out there was a problem in the splitter.

If you or a neighbor has a new cordless phone, that also could be the problem.

Swish
04-21-2005, 01:23 PM
just for kicks, you might also trying getting a new cable.
I had that problem once and that fixed it. Turned out there was a problem in the splitter.

If you or a neighbor has a new cordless phone, that also could be the problem.

I plugged the cable modem directly into my cpu, bypassing the wireless router, and everything worked perfectly for two days running. It has to be the wireless router, but your phone theory could be right on. Heck, it could be my own cordless phone causing the problem. I guess I'll need to do lots of research before I buy another router.

Swish

MomurdA
04-22-2005, 06:33 AM
or you could use the 5 ghz band and not have to worry about phones and such.

dean_martin
04-22-2005, 08:25 AM
I guess I'll need to do lots of research before I buy another router.

Swish

Yeah, just tracking down the problem can be frustrating - sometimes it's a "ghost in the machine" that is exercised with no explanation. I forgot to mention this little experience in my original response: We have a security system in our new home that hasn't been activated. When we had dish network installed with boxes with phone lines, our wireless internet went crazy and our phone reception got screwed up. Dish blamed our security system, the phone co. blamed Dish and the security co. said I was crazy. The phone co. came out and did something, although I don't know what, and we've had no problems since.

Swish
04-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Yeah, just tracking down the problem can be frustrating - sometimes it's a "ghost in the machine" that is exercised with no explanation. I forgot to mention this little experience in my original response: We have a security system in our new home that hasn't been activated. When we had dish network installed with boxes with phone lines, our wireless internet went crazy and our phone reception got screwed up. Dish blamed our security system, the phone co. blamed Dish and the security co. said I was crazy. The phone co. came out and did something, although I don't know what, and we've had no problems since.

and maybe that's what is interfering with my router. I didn't even think about that! I guess I could talk to ADT and see if their system could be the problem.

Thanks again,
Swish

Swish
04-24-2005, 04:59 PM

Thanks to you and all the others for the tips and advice. I opted for the model with the Speed Booster and installed it on my desktop PC. I bought one PCI adapter for my wife's desktop and installed that in a few quick minutes. This was about the easiest PC installation I've ever done. Not one hitch and each PC booted up just fine. For some reason, mine is always a problem, and it's not that I don't know what I'm doing. For instance, I added more RAM and, upon boot up, my monitor was a scrambled egg. I uninstalled and are reinstalled a few times, even changing slots, until it finally worked. The stick was absolutely fine and was installed properly every single time, but who the heck knows why I had problems. The same thing happened with my new Western Digital 120 gig hard drive and when I added a USB 2.0 card. This stuff ain't rocket science, but my machine must be really touchy when it comes to upgrades or changes.

Anyway, I've been on the net for a few hours since the new router was set up, and I haven't been booted off once. The speed is excellent as well, as it should be cable broadband service. I think my problems are over!

Regards,
Swish