Any opinions on NAD 5120? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on NAD 5120?

natlus
04-20-2005, 04:12 AM
I may have a chance to pick up a NAD 5120 turntable with a Grado cartridge and I can't
seem to find any substantial reviews on the net. Anyone have experience with the table, and is it worth 60 bucks? Thanks in advance...

squeegy200
04-20-2005, 01:18 PM
Here is the product brochure from NAD's website.

http://207.228.230.231/info/NAD_5120.pdf

$60 is a good price if it is operational. A grado cartridge will cost you at least that much if purchased new.

royphil345
04-20-2005, 01:33 PM
Think any working turntable would be worth $60.00.

My first turntable was a "budget high-end" belt-drive table (Rotel RP-955). Purchased an old direct-drive Sony PS-X5 on eBay just as an experiment. Thought having an automatic turntable might be nice if the sound quality didn't suffer too much. Turned out that the Sony actually sounds better to my ear (more solid). The isolation is MUCH better (used to have feedback problems at high volumes, not with the old Sony). Arm on the Sony seems well-made, very silky feel to the bearings. Recently upgraded the headshell leads and interconnects. Big improvement, more open sounding. The thing that surprised me the most was a noticable reduction of surface noise. Don't understand how that happened, but it did. Makes me want to upgrade the tonearm wires as well, but don't know if I'm up to a job like that. Anyhow.... If I was looking to spend less than a few hundred dollars on a turntable, I wouldn't overlook one of the heavier direct-drive models form the '70s or early '80s.