Why receiver only has 1 RCA for sub out but Sub has 2 RCA inputs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why receiver only has 1 RCA for sub out but Sub has 2 RCA inputs?

m500
04-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Why receiver only has 1 RCA for sub out but Sub has 2 RCA inputs?

1) Does it matther if I connect both to both input on the subwoofer with a spliter?
2) Or I can just plug into either 'L' or 'R'?

paul_pci
04-19-2005, 12:25 PM

1) Does it matther if I connect both to both input on the subwoofer with a spliter?

This is typical for lower-end receivers. You can do one of two things. Plug the cable into the "right" jack of the subwoofer, live happily ever after, or get a splitter and plug the cable into both jacks on the subwoofer and live happily ever after. I've done both (currently using no splitter) and there's not much of a difference beyond getting a slight volume boost with the splitter which is unnecessary as most subwoofers can be turned up beyond reasonable measures anyway. What many people do if they had dual jack on their receiver would be to use two subwoofers.

Geoffcin
04-19-2005, 02:51 PM

You may have a problem. If your sub uses a dual voicecoil then it's best to use a splitter so that both voicecoils will energize.

Woochifer
04-19-2005, 03:08 PM

The subwoofer track is a monophonic output. No need for more than one RCA output if you're using a home theater receiver. The only time that you would use both the R and L input would be if you use two-channel separates and patch the preamp output through an external crossover before the signal goes into the amp.

If you connect both, then you will get a signal boost of about 6 db. Won't matter anyway because you'll have to level match the sub to the mains.