Paradigm or PSB [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm or PSB

HAVIC
04-19-2005, 07:43 AM
Hello I am looking into buying a set of speakers and I was looking into either the Paradigm Monitor 7 series or the PSB Image T45 or T55 tower speakers. I want to use them for both HT and for Audio listening. I would also be purchasing either brands center and surround speakers to match.

Any opinions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

topspeed
04-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Have you listened to both? What are your impressions?

newbsterv2
04-19-2005, 01:49 PM
Both companies make nice stuff but I like Paradigm a bit better for neutrality. I own the Monitor 7's v2 and can tell you that they are now at a v4 and sound a lot better than the v2. They added a "bass only" driver which basically helps clean up the midrange a bit which is what bothered me a bit about the v2 and makes the speaker technically a 2.5 way instead of a 2 way. The tweeter has also been refined and is a lot smoother and has less zip to it. Honestly though I like the Monitor 5 the best out of the entire Monitor line because it sounds to me to be the "flattest" sounding while still having good bass. Keep in mind that these speakers are not built like the Studio series and can sound congested at high volumes. But due to the fact that they have a high sensitivity anyway I doubt you'll be throwing tons of power at them unless you're a headbanger of course :) Happy shopping and don't buy those speakers unless you can sit there and listen to them for hours on end. That's what this hobby is all about ;)

Hello I am looking into buying a set of speakers and I was looking into either the Paradigm Monitor 7 series or the PSB Image T45 or T55 tower speakers. I want to use them for both HT and for Audio listening. I would also be purchasing either brands center and surround speakers to match.

3db
04-19-2005, 05:58 PM
IMO, PSB Image series is a better value than Paradigm's monitor series. The image series, particulairly the T45, T55, and T65 have tighter deeper bass extensions than their Paradigm counterparts. There mids are on par but I find the highs on the PSB smooother, more refined than that of Paradigms. Both series image very well but again the PSB's are better in resolving sublte nuances in the music layering teh music across a deep wide soundstage. These are my findings and what I've heard. The PSBs were driven thru NAD, the Paradigms thru Denon.

Now out of the 2 PSB models mentioned, its up to you whether or not, the 3-4 HZ deeper extension is worth the extra $150. I have the ImageT45s at home and I can honestly tell you that they are NOT bass shy .

Good luck and have fun.