Blown Speaker? Stinky:[ [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blown Speaker? Stinky:[

PoppinEars
04-18-2005, 10:45 PM
A few months ago I purchased a 15" L5 Subwoofer.. I have been running it with a 15" Rockford Punch and a MTX THUNDER1501D. This afternoon, I noticed my L5 wasn't hitting anymore, and there was a very noticble,strong, almost like burnt rubber smell coming from my trunk. I removed the box, took out the L5 and noticed the burn stench was getting stronger and my L5 speaker wasn't pumping as I pushed down onto it and just stayed stuck into place. It has only been a few months since I have been using this speaker, and it was brand new. Did I blow it? I seemed to have lost my reciet for the purchase so I just ended up buying a new pair of speakers, but I would really like to know what went wrong so I could avoid the situation. There were also some saw dust on the magnet of the speaker, which most likely came from the box when I cut out the square shape.

Worf101
04-19-2005, 06:19 AM
This is a speaker forum true but it's primarily for "HOME" audio not car audio. There's a separate forum for that. I suggest you ask this question there.....

Da Worfster

BRANDONH
04-19-2005, 12:27 PM
A few months ago I purchased a 15" L5 Subwoofer.. I have been running it with a 15" Rockford Punch and a MTX THUNDER1501D. This afternoon, I noticed my L5 wasn't hitting anymore, and there was a very noticble,strong, almost like burnt rubber smell coming from my trunk. I removed the box, took out the L5 and noticed the burn stench was getting stronger and my L5 speaker wasn't pumping as I pushed down onto it and just stayed stuck into place. It has only been a few months since I have been using this speaker, and it was brand new. Did I blow it? I seemed to have lost my reciet for the purchase so I just ended up buying a new pair of speakers, but I would really like to know what went wrong so I could avoid the situation. There were also some saw dust on the magnet of the speaker, which most likely came from the box when I cut out the square shape.

I have blown home woofers before and there was a smell just as you described.
I think its safe to say it's blown.
To avoid this in the future look into a subsonic filter.
And/or the box may not have the proper porting causing the voice coil to overheat or the speaker was over powered.

Beckman
04-19-2005, 12:58 PM

Where did you purchase the speaker? Several years ago I blew a woofer on some speakers I purchased at Circuit City and Circuit City was able to print out a copy of my reciet so I was able to have the woofers replaced.

ruadmaa
04-19-2005, 02:01 PM
According to the information that I have from Speakerlab, you most likely blew out the L-pad (crossover) (L-pads that have a very rough "feel" as you rotate them or that stink when you smell them closely are burned out). Most likely your speaker is ok, you need to replace the crossover. That is the information given me from speakerlab when I purchased a pair of speakers from them some years ago.

This Guy
04-19-2005, 02:07 PM
obviously you didnt read his question. It was whether or not his SUBWOOFER was blown. Subwoofers don't have L-pads or crossovers (unless it's in the amp). Yes he blew the woofer, probably melted the voice coil. Either get your money back or buy a new subwoofer. To avoid this...when you hear the sub stressing, turn it down despite what the power ratings say.

ruadmaa
04-19-2005, 02:13 PM
obviously you didnt read his question. It was whether or not his SUBWOOFER was blown. Subwoofers don't have L-pads or crossovers (unless it's in the amp). Yes he blew the woofer, probably melted the voice coil. Either get your money back or buy a new subwoofer. To avoid this...when you hear the sub stressing, turn it down despite what the power ratings say.

Sorry, I wasn't aware that speakers smelled when they burned out. I have seen several blown out speakers throughout the years and they didn't emit any odor. Too bad, I was only trying to be of assistance. Incidentally, he can tell if his subwoofer is burned out by simply applying a 1.5 volt charge from a flashlight battery across the terminals. If he hears a healthy thump chances are the speaker is ok. I do hope this reply meets with your approval.

PoppinEars
04-19-2005, 03:45 PM
Yes he blew the woofer, probably melted the voice coil.

That seems to be what happend. The smell was not rubber, but melted epoxy. I was running it with a Rockford Punch so I guess instead of working together, they were competing for power. I don't have to reciept so the warranty is useless. I should have guessed the subs were stressing when I would occasionaly have that smell. I ended up buying 2 new 15" L7s, so I guess all I can do with this speaker is use it as "trophy" in my room. Thanks for the replys.