Toshiba 46hm84 DLP [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba 46hm84 DLP

toenail
04-18-2005, 04:57 PM
After flirting with the purchase of a Sanyo 32" 4:3 HDTV I'm changing directions a bit and considering a slightly larger/more expensive different technology. After researching plasma vs lcd vs dlp I'm fairly certain I want a dlp set. The above referenced Toshiba is tops on my list for consideration and can be found for $1700. Curious if anyone's had experience with this model. I've read most of the 100+ page thread over at avsforum and am aware of the pros/cons noted there.

LEAFS264
04-21-2005, 06:29 AM
I've got the 52HM84 and I looooove it. You can't do wrong with the Toshiba.

Jay

toenail
04-21-2005, 02:11 PM
If you don't mind my asking, how far do you sit from the set when viewing? I saw the 52" at BB when I was shopping around. They don't carry the 46" but I was able to get an idea of PQ. Would you say that there is a significant difference in PQ when comparing the BB display vs home viewing with your own 1080i source? I've been struggling to justify the expense vs upgrade in viewing experience with the whole HD thing (see HD ramblings thread). Just wondering if the stores really have THAT crummy a signal source.

LEAFS264
04-21-2005, 03:38 PM
Well, I bought mine from Future Shop and they were running the sets on Digital cable so people could really see the difference in picture quallity. But when I got Mine home and watched Star Wars and LOTR Extended editions........WOW. much better than the picture in the store,and that was good enough to get me to buy it,so just imagine how good the picture was at home!!!
I sit about 10 or 12 feet away.

Jay

Just want to add that I have a Pioneer Elite 59AVI dvd player, so it converts the 480p to 720p....the native display of the tv and I use an Audioquest HDMI-1 cable. So I'm getting the most ideal picture for that tv. And the component from the sat to the tv is out standing as well.

jocko_nc
04-23-2005, 07:21 AM
As far as a DLP, I agree, Toshiba is a good choice. I came to that conclusion and have not been disappointed.

The problem right now is the lack of quality sources. Not all "HD" content is the same, only a handful of channels will transmit to the limit of the set. Discovery HD and some ESPN programs (baseball) are simply amazing. Think about it, the video clips used on SportsCenter were not HD, SportsCenter HD is not going to be HD. Movies are a mixed bag. To try and compare HDTV's with anything less is not fair. Keep in mind that the best DVD is only mediocre.

Get a big set if that is what you want. I wouldn't get small. To buy a smaller set simply because you will be viewing a lousy signal makes no sense to me. (I would lose the cable and get a satellite.) Get as much HD package as you can. Satellite. Over-the-air. Get it and watch it. Watch it up close, it looks that great. If that is not possible, put off the whole purchase until you either have more funds or there is more HD content available. I have to believe HD content is coming, som many sets are being purchased right now.

jocko

toenail
04-24-2005, 03:21 PM
I've since started leaning toward the 52hm94 w/ built in tuner. I can get it to my door for less than I can locally buy the smaller 46hm84 w/ no tuner. Will know in a few bays.

agtpunx40
04-25-2005, 06:47 AM
Have you been seeing it for $1700 at "real" stores, or at unauthorized online stores? Most stores I've seen are selling it for more like $2400. Just curious, I've been looking at these sets too.

toenail
04-25-2005, 12:27 PM
An important consideration and not one I factored in when I first posted. After checking the Toshiba website and coming up with a list of authorized etailers I found a place that is still much more reasonable than local brick and mortar.

toenail
05-22-2005, 03:00 AM
I wound up getting the Toshiba 52hm94. Got a good deal over the net from authorized dealer ($2200 to the door). Will post review when I get some time.