$ 2000 subs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : $ 2000 subs

swgiust
04-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Been looking real hard at the SVS PB12-ULTRA/2.
2 12" woofers, 1000 watt of Bash power, parametric EQ.

Problem: It cost $ 2000.

Are there better subs in this price range?
Velodyne? Sunfire? Definitive? Earthquake?

You know how it is, if your gonna cough up this kinda change,
you wanna make sure your getting the best you can get.

eqm
04-18-2005, 12:23 PM

$2000.00 for a sub may be a little overkill for your Infinity IL series and JVC receiver (even though you're using outboard amps). You can probably get something that won't overshadow your speakers in the $500.00 range with no problem. Definitive makes some great bang for the buck subs, Sunfire is VERY over-rated and may catch fire ;).

Are you planning on upgrading speakers or electronics anytime? If so, do you want to start with the sub?

swgiust
04-19-2005, 05:26 AM
I know the Infinity speaker line is in the "Best Buy, Circuit City" catagory. But they
really are not bad speakers. The two mains have a 12" powered sub in each. They
each have a 500w Bash amp. This gives me better performance than any $ 500 sub
I have ever heard. I actually auditioned the Definitive SuperCube Reference ($1500)
and didn't think it was much better at all. So anyway, I guess my feeling is at this
point, if I'm going to upgrade, why not shoot for the top? I'd like this to be the last
sub I'll ever buy.

I am thinking of upgrading electronics at some time as well. Maybe Outlaw's new
pre-pro. The JVR RXDP-10 is a much better reciever than one might think. It was
their top of the line 2 years ago. Retail was $ 1799.00 and I would put it up against
any other reciever in that price catagory. My DVD player is staying put untill I can
get my hands on a Blue Ray or HD DVD player. (which I can't wait)

shokhead
04-19-2005, 05:32 AM

BStock right now thats abit cheaper. One model down from that one would be cheaper.. Did you e-mail SVS and give them your room size and setup and see what they suggest?

MCF
04-20-2005, 12:20 PM
When I set it up this weekend I will let you know what I think.....I didn't want to spend the extra money for the ultra....SVS was honest enough to say that 'the most bang for the buck' was the plus, but if I wanted the best (at least the best SVS offers), I would have also gone with the ultra...

swgiust
04-20-2005, 12:54 PM
When I set it up this weekend I will let you know what I think.....I didn't want to spend the extra money for the ultra....SVS was honest enough to say that 'the most bang for the buck' was the plus, but if I wanted the best (at least the best SVS offers), I would have also gone with the ultra...

SVS told me the same thing. Basically the main difference between the
two is the drivers. I would love to know how you like it! What sub are
you replacing?

MCF
04-25-2005, 05:53 AM
WOW!!! I can honestly say I have once again gone way over the top....I got the PB-12/2 Plus in Rosewood (btw, the wood plus's do come with a paramtric equalizer same as the Ultra's - the manuals have not been updated so you need to print out an Ultra manual to set the equalizer - I have diabled it for now. The Plus in the black box does not come with the equalizer). I got the sub on Friday afternoon.....Saturday night getting ready to go out and listening to digital music channels on Time Warner cable and the door bell rang. It was the neighbor. Note, I live in a new freestanding house with alleys on either side and a firewall in the one side wall....There is about 6 feet between my wall and the neighbors..the neighbor said that it was like thunder going off in her house. Note, I had the bass up way higher than you would normally listen to it, so I toned it down a bit. When watching Matrix, the my wood floor on the second floor literally felt like it was buckling...I had to take apart my gas fireplace and tighten all the bolts and put small felt discs between two pieces of aluminum that would rattle. Watch the scene where NEO is in the helicopter and using the machine gun to free Morphius and it feels like there is an earthquake and sounds awesome. The scene where Neo and Morphius are fighting feels like someone is being slammed down on your floor everytime Neo gets thrown down. Two thumbs up, but I probably should have just got the 12 Plus...no need to two 12's except for showing off when a friend comes over......

shokhead
04-25-2005, 05:57 AM
Now you understand the power of SVS. Way fun.

Tarheel_
04-25-2005, 08:05 AM
check out their site and reviews....what separates this sub is its musical qualities....its not just brawn, it can satisfy your needs as you age or your listening taste change....both will occur.

revelspeakers.com

MCF
04-25-2005, 09:02 AM
I Got My Sub This Past Weekend And Am Having A Little Trouble Hearing....hehehe..... :-))