OT....light dimmers and question... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OT....light dimmers and question...

MCF
04-18-2005, 08:31 AM
I installed three light dimmers this weekend in three different rooms (one being where home theatre is setup) and all three of them have a very low 'buzz', especially when the lights are dimmed the most (just barely on), but still have a little buzz when at their brightest setting. In all three rooms, the dimmer is controlling between 5-7 recessed light fixtures in the ceiling. Any ideas why there is this buzz? The buzz is constant and when watching tv or listening to the radio you can't hear it, but if the room is completely quite, it is there.

Smokey
04-18-2005, 08:20 PM
immers utilize a circuit called switching circuit (to conserve energy) that can create buzzing noise on audio equipment. The only cure is to turn it off when listening to audio.

SlumpBuster
04-19-2005, 06:17 AM
Smokey's response suggests that it is not clear from your post whether the dimmers are buzzing or your getting buzz through your system.

I took it to mean that the dimmers were buzzing. I had the same problem in my home theater room. I switched them out for better dimmers, approx $25 per piece from Home Depot. Worked like a charm. A good dimmer should be silent, but an inexpensive one can be noisey. In any event, note that it is normal for them to get warm.

If it is buzzing through your hi-fi system then you may benefit from a power conditioner.

MCF
04-20-2005, 09:09 AM
The dimmers I used were approximately $20 from Home Depot and are made by Lutron....I talked to them and they recommend using bulbs with a life of 3K-4K hours....since each of my dimmers is controlling between 5-7 recessed bulbs, the more inexpensive bulbs (which I am sure my buider used to cut cost) have flimsy filaments which 'rattle' when turned on and off quickly. I am sure this is it....all the bulb filaments 'rattling' and having many doing it at the same time results in the 'buzz'....audio equipment is not buzzing...