Help With Measurement Chart. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help With Measurement Chart.

dsquare
04-18-2005, 07:45 AM
I was looking at a measurement chart of a 3-piece speaker system that I plan to buy, the chart shows a drop at 500 Hz at around 6 dB, and a drop at 63 Hz at around 13 dB. This is NOT GOOD right? I listen mostly to Rock and Pop music.
Is 500 Hz the midrange or lower midrange, is 63 Hz upper bass or lower midrange?

IRG
04-18-2005, 11:40 AM
I was looking at a measurement chart of a 3-piece speaker system that I plan to buy, the chart shows a drop at 500 Hz at around 6 dB, and a drop at 63 Hz at around 13 dB. This is NOT GOOD right? I listen mostly to Rock and Pop music.
Is 500 Hz the midrange or lower midrange, is 63 Hz upper bass or lower midrange?

I'm not the resident expert, but I would agree that this is not good for rock or really any type of music. 63 hz is bass, not midrange, and it is understandable that speakers will roll off around that frequency, which again is expected - in bookshelf type speakers. Although a 13 db drop is a lot. However, this is a 3 piece setup, so I would presume this is a sub and 2 satellites, correct? If so, this is a not a good sub. You would expect a good sub to go more like to 25 hz or so. Especially for HT. For music, you can get away with less, maybe 30 hz or so is fine. The drop in the 500 hz midrange is also not a good sign, but numbers aren't everything. Have you heard this system personally? If so, how did it sound to you? What is the brand name?