Don't judge no-name brands...and a thank you to those who helped me. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Don't judge no-name brands...and a thank you to those who helped me.

RGA
12-28-2003, 12:14 PM
As some of you know I was interested in buying a receiver and an Xbox as it would serve as the DVD player in the second room with the old tv.

On Boxing day The XBOX was on for $199.00CDN with 2 year warranty and 3 games so I got it. But they wanted $50.00 for the remote which you need to play DVDs.

Being Future HSop and Boxing Day I looked over at a big pile of boxes. Yes DVD players for $49.99(after a $25.00 mail in rebate). Still, $50.00.

Company is called Aspire(the AD 900). A large DVD player depth and width wise but very sleek and slim. Hmm. Do I get the remote for the XBOX or an entire DVD player. 30 day full money back gaurantee for any reason if you don't like it.

I had seen the older Apex models which had washed out colours and a dark grey rather than black bars etc so I was not expecting much.

Get it home and a nice instruction manual and a very simplistic though rather well built remote control. Better than my Pioneer for ease of use and functionality.

Anyway, the player surprisingly has a digital display(many cheap ones don't), has progressive scan, has all the outputs for 5.1, onboard DSP modes Jazz, pop, rock etc, has S-Video and componant video and an optical out for an add on exteranl DAC. And a subwoofer output and regular two channel audio out puts.

It plays CD/CDRW/CDR/MP3/JPEG/ and Kodak picture disc whatever that is. It has Zoom/multi angle/ and all of those typical on screen features that let you set your speakers to large small etc and a volume control for those as well.

Picture quality surprised the hell out of me. Deep blacks, not too much video noise(certainly no worse than the those $100-$200.00 Sony and my own Pionner. Hell for all we know Aspire might be owned by Sony or another Matsu****a division.

In fact it is so surprisingly good that I kind of regret not buying two or three as gifts. I spent more buying someone a couple bottles of Chivas Regal for heaven sake.

The Yamha Receiver HTR 5660B was going for a bargain $499.00CDN. But I had watched a movie in my two channel rig the night before and simply didn't need it. I'd have to spend too much more on the surround speakers and in 2 years I'll be leaving the country and can't take all this stuff with me anyway.

But thanks for those who helped me out on the receivers. I'm Playing a game called "The Thing" on the X-Box and I'm having fun with it. Being a fan of the movie is kind of fun that the game takes off where the movie ends. I'm rather impressed by the graphics....considering that the games in my day were pac-man, Mario Bros, Frogger(damn cars squashing me), Gauntlet etc...the Thing is pretty remarkable. It was $20.00Cdn used and was the cheapest pre-owend game there so I assume it's not even considered to be that good. Impresses me the pac man tilter.

RGA
12-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Note. A correction. The Aspire comes with a full 30 day money back gaurantee for whatever reason but also comes with a a full 1 year parts and labour warranty (90 days on the remote).

Heck I've seen adds for Toasters that cost more.

It's aslo built in China so that probably explains the low price.

Worf101
12-28-2003, 12:25 PM
until he got his privileges taken away from him for screwing up. Looks like another 5 months san's X-Box for him. Glad you're enjoying it. I think you really oughta try X-Box with full surround sound. I think you'd like it, not to mention your DVD's if you have any. I assume "The Thing" is a first person shooter?

Da Wondering Worfster....

recoveryone
12-28-2003, 07:40 PM
until he got his privileges taken away from him for screwing up. Looks like another 5 months san's X-Box for him. Glad you're enjoying it. I think you really oughta try X-Box with full surround sound. I think you'd like it, not to mention your DVD's if you have any. I assume "The Thing" is a first person shooter?

Da Wondering Worfster....

I'm with Wolf, get the surround amp and you will fall off your chair playing the game. I have my sons PS2 hooked to a Kenwood VR 305 DPL receiver and their games just blow you away.