How to Power Paradigm Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to Power Paradigm Speakers

StateDJ85
04-17-2005, 09:43 PM
I've got a set of Monitor 9's, a CC370 center and Atom Surrounds. I currently have a Yamaha HTR-5460 reciever. It's similar to one that Yamaha would put in their home theater in a box system. For 2 ch. stereo it actually does a great job powering the speakers. I'm afraid im not maximizing their potential though and the amp seems to strain in surround mode. I'd like to stick with Yamaha because all my other components are made by them. I'm also open to Denon too. Under like 1000 dollars for a good receiver for this system, does anyone have any reccomendations?? thanks

Wireworm5
04-18-2005, 01:03 AM
I can't comment on whether or not your receiver powers the 9's satisfactory. But when I checked the specs on their receivers awhile back only the 1400 and 2400 could power low impedance loads.Even though the 9s are 8 ohms I think they drop down to less than 6 ohms at times. Someone commented that I was wrong on this, maybe. Anyways I have the 2200 and it powers the 9s without a problem. And with the new Yamahas coming out soon you should be able to get a 2500 for less than $1000.

Audioman00
04-20-2005, 07:33 AM
Separate amplification would be best for those speakers, if your receiver has pre-out jacks on the back, you could add an external amplifier, and they don't cost very much on e-bay and the like. :)