Budget receiver....yamaha or pioneer? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Budget receiver....yamaha or pioneer?

AVJunior
04-17-2005, 07:59 PM
I have limited budget. I intend to setup my first HT with a 5.1 ch receiver. currently looking at the yamaha RX-V350 and the Pioneer VSX-D514. I'd say 60% on movies. Pls advice.

paul_pci
04-17-2005, 08:20 PM
I have limited budget. I intend to setup my first HT with a 5.1 ch receiver. currently looking at the yamaha RX-V350 and the Pioneer VSX-D514. I'd say 60% on movies. Pls advice.

Yamaha. Always Yamaha.

Eric Z
04-18-2005, 07:56 AM
Both are good receiver companies, but I'm not too familiar with specific Pioneer you mention. I really like Yamaha and you should be able to get some pretty good deals since their new line of receivers were released recently. My local store has some 35-40% off MSRP. I don't know which receiver will would be better for your situation. When I was shopping around (posting questions here, too), I heard that Yamaha has one of the better entry level receivers available. I did not look at the 350 because I had a budget a little higher than that. I ended up going with the 650 (might be able to get that one for about $325 or maybe a little higher). I was also a little hesitant to go with a more inexpensive receiver because I would hate for it to be obsolete sooner than later.

What's the budget you're working with?

Geoffcin
04-18-2005, 03:31 PM
They have the best budget receivers

kexodusc
04-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Can't say I see any real advantages to one over the other...For movies, the Yamaha's DSP's are the best I've heard, if you're even into those, the Pioneer probably has a bit more beef in the amps, though I doubt enough to make a substantial difference. Sound wise, well, 6 of one, half-dozen of the other...they're a bit different, I wouldn't say one is any better than the other.

Both are good budget receivers, Yamaha's known for their quality, and Pioneer is very underrated and makes good budget receivers. If I were you I'd fiddle around with both at your nearest Best Buy or wherever, see which one you find a bit easier to work with (ergonomics), and listen to see if one's sound grabs you and go with that...because there isn't one inherrently better than the other. Unless you like the name Yamaha better than Pioneer.

Alternatively...go with the cheaper of the two and save your beer money for more important things...like beer.

AVJunior
04-18-2005, 06:03 PM
well, at this point, i guess i have to leave out the Pioneer.
however, now i have another option, the Marantz SR4400.
how would u compare the performance of the marantz and the yammie?