What are you favorite car-tunes? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What are you favorite car-tunes?

Swish
04-17-2005, 05:35 AM
The weather was spectacular here yesterday, and it's looking just as good today and a little bit warmer, inching up to about 75 degrees. As I was out taking a scenic drive yesterday, I was thinking about all the songs that have been written about cars and/or driving, and the list is pretty long. I think the Beach Boys probably wrote more songs about cars than any other band or artist, but I can't back it up with any solid evidence. Little Deuce Coupe, Fun Fun Fun, and 409 come to mind pretty quickly, and I know there are at least several more. I have to say that none of them would be what I consider a favorite of mine. Perhaps I'd choose Drive My Car from the Beatles, or maybe Little Red Corvette by Prince? Nah, I don't really care for that one too much. Too cutesy for me. "Pink Cadillac" from Springsteen? Nope, it's just not that cool of a tune IMO. I guess if I was forced to choose, it would be Little Honda, but not the Beach Boys version. I would take the one by Yo La Tengo.

Let's hear your favorite car-tunes.

Swish

tentoze
04-17-2005, 06:48 AM
Elliot Murphy's Drive All Night from Just A Story From America.

Davey
04-17-2005, 08:32 AM
I don't think "Little Red Corvette" is really a song about cars, is it? Hehehe, I hope not :)

Anyway, that Yo La Tengo take on "Little Honda" is one of my favorites too. PJ Harvey does a pretty cool song about a motorcycle too, about a guy that loves his bike more than her in M-Bike. Kind of like that Queen song about the guy in love with his car.

So...do you think Little Honda was really written about the pleasures of riding a cheap 60s Japanese motorcycle? Yeah, I know, what driving song beyond the early 60s is really not a metaphor for sex?

Another motorcycle favorite was by Lou Reed, the title track to New Sensations. He was riding a new Kawasaki GPZ Ninja, and I had just gotten a Honda Interceptor, and the whole song just felt so good in my life at the time. The whole album, actually. An old favorite. Lots of new sensations in my life at that time.

I took my GPZ out for a ride
The engine felt good between my thighs
The air felt cool, it was forty degrees outside

They was arguing 'bout football as I waved and went outside
And I headed for the mountains feeling warm inside
I love that GPZ so much, you know that I could kiss her

kexodusc
04-17-2005, 08:55 AM
Skid Row and Poison (don't laugh)...reminds me of my first car...89 T-Bird...Oh baby, the memories.

nobody
04-18-2005, 11:26 AM
I like something laid-back when I'm in the car. This weekend had me running some errands on a nice day with the windows down and listening to OutKast: ATLiens. The nice, laid back grooves on that one were just about perfect.

Then, there was the weekend's drinking binge, where I was having a nice old time blasting a compilation with AC/DC, Black Flag, New York Dolls, Black Sabbath, FEAR, Guns & Roses and a bunch of other grimey stuff. I can't always play that sort of thing as loud as I'd like at home, so blasting the music in the car can be fun when you're out and about.

Oh...and good call on the Lou Reed. New Sensations is a great track off a great album. I really like My Friend George off their too.

Troy
04-18-2005, 11:44 AM
I like these, but they are really for after dark.

http://www.lostamerica.com/dan/Trip.jpg

http://www.lostamerica.com/dan/trip2.jpg

Just did a quick trip to Death Valley over the weekend. They've had triple the average rainfall this season and the entire valley was a carpet of yellow wildflowers. Unprecedented. Even Badwater Flats had water in it. A LOT of water. The entire Mojave desert is covered in flowers right now. Never seen anything like it before.

Swish
04-18-2005, 11:51 AM
I like something laid-back when I'm in the car. This weekend had me running some errands on a nice day with the windows down and listening to OutKast: ATLiens. The nice, laid back grooves on that one were just about perfect.

Then, there was the weekend's drinking binge, where I was having a nice old time blasting a compilation with AC/DC, Black Flag, New York Dolls, Black Sabbath, FEAR, Guns & Roses and a bunch of other grimey stuff. I can't always play that sort of thing as loud as I'd like at home, so blasting the music in the car can be fun when you're out and about.

Oh...and good call on the Lou Reed. New Sensations is a great track off a great album. I really like My Friend George off their too.

but since so few responded, as seems to be the case lately, I'll take what I can get. :(
I was actually looking for songs about cars or driving, not about who you listen to while driving. Highway to Hell would have fit for AC/DC for instance.

Swish
Pity clicks gladly accepted

nobody
04-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Oops!

Well, my favorite car song in that case would be Hot Rod Lincoln.

My pappy said, 'Son, you're gonna drive me t' drinkin' ...
If you don't quit drivin' that - Hot ... Rod ... Lincoln!'

Well, you've heard the story of the hot rod race,
When the Ford and the Mercury were settin' the pace.
That story's true I'm here to say,
Cause I was a'drivin' that Model A.

It's got a Lincoln motor and it's really souped up;
That Model A body makes it look like a pup.
It's got 12 cylinders and uses them all;
And an overdrive that just won't stall.

It's got a 4-barrel carb and dual exhausts,
4:11 gears that really get lost -
Safety tubes and I'm not scared,
The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

We left San Pedro late one night;
The moon and the stars were shinin' bright.
We were drivin' up Grapevine Hill,
Passin' cars like they were standin' still.

Then, all of a sudden, in the wink of an eye,
a Cadillac sedan passed us by.
The remark was made, "That's the car for me."
But, by then, the taillights wuz all you could see.

Well, the fellers ribbed me for bein' behind,
So I started to make that Lincoln unwind.
Took my foot off the gas and, man alive,
I shoved it down into overdrive.

Well, I wound it up to 110;
Twisted the speedometer cable right off the end.
Had my foot glued right to the floor;
I said, "That's all there is - there ain't no more.

Now the fellas thought I'd lost all sense;
The telephone poles looked like a picket fence.
They said, "Slow down, I see spots."
The lines on the road just looked like dots.

Went around a corner and passed a truck;
I crossed my fingers just for luck -
The fenders clickin' the guard rail post;
The guy beside me was white as a ghost.

Smoke was rollin' outta the back
When I started to gain on that Cadillac
I knew I could catch him and hoped I could pass
But when I did I'd be short on gas.

There were flames comin' from out of the side;
You could feel the tension; man, what a ride.
I said, "Look out, boys, I've got a license to fly"
And the Cadillac pulled over and let me by.

All of a sudden a rod started knockin';
Down in the depths she started a rockin'.
I looked in the mirror and a red light was blinkin';
The cops was after my Hot Rod Lincoln.

Well they arrested me and put me in jail.
I called my pop to make my bail.
He said, 'Son, you're gonna drive me t' drinkin',
If you don't quit drivin' that - Hot ... Rod ... Lincoln!'

Swish
04-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Oops!

Well, my favorite car song in that case would be Hot Rod Lincoln.'

where he works at a car plant and smuggles out parts over a long period of time, puts them together to create a very strange-looking car and then sings "it's a 54,55,56,57,58, 59, automobile..." or something like that. Good tune and pretty funny. Someone put that on a comp and I suppose I'll have to dig that out now.

Thanks for your contribution.

Swish

Davey
04-18-2005, 12:53 PM
How 'bout that kick ass version of the classic "Mercury Blues" that David Lindley and the band crank out on El Rayo-X? Great song from a great album! 1981. I remember one time around here I even put that album on a top 10 list along with some other eccentric picks, just for fun :)

Well, the girl I love, I stole her from a friend
He got lucky stole her back again
She heard he had a Mercury, Lord she's crazy 'bout a Mercury
I'm gonna buy me a Mercury and cruise it up and down the road

Swish
04-18-2005, 01:02 PM
How 'bout that kick ass version of the classic "Mercury Blues" that David Lindley and the band crank out on El Rayo-X? Great song from a great album! 1981. I remember one time around here I even put that album on a top 10 list along with some other eccentric picks, just for fun :)

KC Douglas. I've heard several versions of it, most notabley by Dwight Yokum and Steve Miller, but never the one you mentioned. I do remember you posting about that record to, but I don't know anyone that owns it nor do I recall anyone ever mentioning it before. Then again, you are one weird dude. ;)

Swish

tentoze
04-18-2005, 01:04 PM
I like these, but they are really for after dark.

http://www.lostamerica.com/dan/Trip.jpg

http://www.lostamerica.com/dan/trip2.jpg

Just did a quick trip to Death Valley over the weekend. They've had triple the average rainfall this season and the entire valley was a carpet of yellow wildflowers. Unprecedented. Even Badwater Flats had water in it. A LOT of water. The entire Mojave desert is covered in flowers right now. Never seen anything like it before.
I drove to Barstow two Saturdays ago to pick up some speaks, and the desert all along the interstate was actually pretty for a change...........

tentoze
04-18-2005, 01:06 PM
where he works at a car plant and smuggles out parts over a long period of time, puts them together to create a very strange-looking car and then sings "it's a 54,55,56,57,58, 59, automobile..." or something like that. Good tune and pretty funny. Someone put that on a comp and I suppose I'll have to dig that out now.

Thanks for your contribution.

Swish
One Piece At A Time

newtrix1
04-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Let's hear your favorite car-tunes.

Swish

Key to Her Ferrari. Again innuendos suggest 'her ferrari' ain't no car, but then again, it could be. ;) either way a great upbeat funky croozin toon!

There was one room in her house that was always kept locked.
It was the garage.
I don't want your love
don't want your money
I just want the key to your Ferrari
don't want your bed
don't want your body
I said all I want is the key to your Ferrari
I'm gonna rev it - shake it - brake it
skid it - squeal it - stick it
drop it - hop it - rip it
up and down the 101
don't want your love
don't want your money, girl
I said all I want is the key to your Ferrari.

entire lyrics here (http://lyrics.duble.com/lyrics/T/thomas-dolby-lyrics/thomas-dolby-the-key-to-her-ferrari-lyrics.htm)

-Jar-
04-18-2005, 01:19 PM
"Skip Steps 1 & 3" - Superchunk
"Monkey Wrench" - Foo Fighters
"She Sells Sanctuary" - The Cult
"Heading out to the Highway" and "Freewheel Burnin'" - Judas Priest (PRIEST/QUEENSRYCHE.. just got tickets.. ROCK!!!)
"Harborcoat" - R.E.M.
"Age of Consent" - New Order
"Turn it On" - The Flaming Lips
"Who was in my Room Last Night" - Butthole Surfers
"Color Me Impressed" & "Alex Chilton" - Replacements
"Teenage Riot" - Sonic Youth

yea I always go a little faster for these songs.

(edit: ok, I realize now that the list is supposed to be songs ABOUT cars. Well, a few of these qualify..)

Davey
04-18-2005, 01:37 PM
...Then again, you are one weird dude. ;)

Swish
Thanks. Coming from you that makes me feel kind of normal :p

Hey, we used to have some colossal threads around here, including that one I mentioned. You think I'm weird, take a gander at some of these lists from the wayback machine!

Mr. Peabody sets the Wayback Machine to August 8, 2001 (http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:T7FPFtw0DJUJ:forums.audioreview.com/html/audio/10/0EEB6995.php+dbi+%22el+rayo-x%22&hl=en&lr=&strip=1)

Troy
04-18-2005, 05:23 PM
I drove to Barstow two Saturdays ago to pick up some speaks, and the desert all along the interstate was actually pretty for a change...........

I found that the mojave in general was completely overrun with bugs too. Did you experience this? I HAD to stop every 50 miles to clean the windshield. The gas stations were all packed with grimacing tourists fighting over the squeeges. It was a strange drive.

Stone
04-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Besides Beach Boys/Jan & Dean stuff:

Dead Milkmen - "<a>Bit</a>chin' Camaro"
Engine 88 - "Funny Car"
Violent Femmes - "Gimme the Car"
Replacements - "Run It"
Rip Chords - "Hey Little Cobra"
Big Star - "Back of a Car"
Dead Kennedys - "Buzzbomb"
Beastie Boys - "Car Thief"

Swish
04-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Key to Her Ferrari. Again innuendos suggest 'her ferrari' ain't no car, but then again, it could be. ;) either way a great upbeat funky croozin toon!

There was one room in her house that was always kept locked.
It was the garage.
I don't want your love
don't want your money
I just want the key to your Ferrari
don't want your bed
don't want your body
I said all I want is the key to your Ferrari
I'm gonna rev it - shake it - brake it
skid it - squeal it - stick it
drop it - hop it - rip it
up and down the 101
don't want your love
don't want your money, girl
I said all I want is the key to your Ferrari.

entire lyrics here (http://lyrics.duble.com/lyrics/T/thomas-dolby-lyrics/thomas-dolby-the-key-to-her-ferrari-lyrics.htm)

doesn't it? At least at the beginning. What a shame that most people associate him with that goofy "Blinded Me With Science" and nothing else. MTV screwed him to the wall.

Swish

Swish
04-18-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks. Coming from you that makes me feel kind of normal :p

Hey, we used to have some colossal threads around here, including that one I mentioned. You think I'm weird, take a gander at some of these lists from the wayback machine!

Mr. Peabody sets the Wayback Machine to August 8, 2001 (http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:T7FPFtw0DJUJ:forums.audioreview.com/html/audio/10/0EEB6995.php+dbi+%22el+rayo-x%22&hl=en&lr=&strip=1)

That was an awesome thread, but the new format just doesn't lend itself very well to that kind of response, doncha think? I can't believe I didn't post anything in that one. And what ever happened to Unleashell? He was quite the regular around here. Did he change his handle or just disappear like so many others? That would be a good thread...what ever happened to...although I did one of those a year or two ago.

Swish

Snowbunny
04-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Omygawd, am I the only one un-hip enough to suggest Golden Earring - Radar Love?

I've been drivin' all night, my hand's wet on the wheel
There's a voice in my head, that drives my heel
It's my baby callin, says: I need you here
Ans its half past four, and I'm shifting gear
When she's lonely and the longing gets too much
She sends a cable comin' in from above
Dont need no phone at all
We've got a thing that's called Radar Love
We''ve got a wave in the air
Radar Love

Wow, Golden Earring was really prolific! Does anyone know the song Coming on Strong by Brenda Lee mentioned in the lyrics?

Swish
04-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Wow, Golden Earring was really prolific! Does anyone know the song Coming on Strong by Brenda Lee mentioned in the lyrics?

That was a big hit in 1966, not that I'd remember. Here are the lyrics:

COMING ON STRONG
COMING ON STRONG
I can feel the heartahces
COMING ON STRONG

I Can feel the teardrops
The pain and sorrow
Ever since you've been gone
They've been COMING ON STRONG

Pain [pain] Come on in [come on in]
Hello sorrow, I see you're back again [back again]
Teardrops [teardops] glad you dropped by [you dropped by]
Cause you can help drown my pride

And since you're here [da da da]
The time seems to fly [da da da]
To let you know you're gonna be with me
Til I lose my mind

But you've been gone [da da da]
Much too long [da da da]
And I can feel the heartaches
COMING ON STRONG

Only thing you left me
Was misery for company
Memories of a love gone wrong
That keep COMING ON STRONG [COMING ON STRONG]

COMING ON STRONG

Very deep lyrics.

Swish

Finch Platte
04-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Omygawd, am I the only one un-hip enough to suggest Golden Earring - Radar Love?

"...drives my heel"

Who drives with their heel?? That must be one weird-looking pedal.

fp

newtrix1
04-19-2005, 06:40 PM
What a shame that most people associate him with that goofy "Blinded Me With Science" and nothing else.
Swish

I liked that song!

Dusty Chalk
04-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Golden Earring, "Radar Love"...oh, never mind, it's already been mentioned.

Golden Earring are one of my favourite just plain rock'n'roll bands.

Swish
04-20-2005, 03:28 AM
I liked that song!

the video on MTV was goofy and people who only watch MTV only know that one song, labeling the guy based on that video. K?

Swish

bpsychotic
04-23-2005, 02:02 PM
i've been listening to 'ride' by joe satriani alot in anticipation of getting on my motorcycle - now that the snow is melting.

bto is a fav for driving too.