Major difference between TDK SA-X and Maxell XLII-S? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Major difference between TDK SA-X and Maxell XLII-S?

keithant
04-16-2005, 10:14 AM
In terms of sonic signature,build quality and longevity and which is prefferd?Thanks for any opinnions,Keith.

20to20K
04-18-2005, 06:57 AM
...but I always found the TDK tape to sound more realistic with more defined
higher frequencies and laid back bass. The Maxell's always sound boomy with an exaggerate lower midrange.

My decks were the Harman Kardan CD491 until it croaked 10 years ago and then
replaced with it with my current Denon deck. I normally use metal tapes anyway(of which
the TDK's also sound superior to Maxell) but when I did use chrome this it what I found
to be true. As I said this may vary depending on your deck.

What kind of deck do you have? I've heard Maxell's sound better on Teac decks
but I've never owned one myself.

20to20K
04-18-2005, 07:00 AM
In terms of sonic signature,build quality and longevity and which is prefferd?Thanks for any opinnions,Keith.

Oh yes...as far as build quality and longevity goes. Some of the TDK's I have from 20 years ago still sound fine in my Denon (even though they were recorded on my H/K.)

shokhead
04-18-2005, 07:43 AM
I always liked TDK metal when i recorded. Wow,thats been a long time.

Resident Loser
04-19-2005, 06:01 AM
...while I'm not certain of the cost, most any reputable electronics repair shop should be able to re-calibrate your deck for the brand and type of cassette you prefer...

You might want to find out from the decks mfr. what tape the unit was set up for from the factory...they used to recommend specific brands/types...my TEAC RTR and cassette machines actually had that info contained in the owners manual...but then again, some manufacturers also included schematics with their gear...my Marantz SD-4050 did not have such info...ahhh, progress!

I find it odd(but not really I guess) that a Denon unit would seem to work better with another brand(TDK) rather than Maxell, since both have Hitachi as parent corporation as I recall. There is the chance, that the perception of one sounding "better" than the other is due to a calibration mismatch...judging from the description of the sound produced, I would tend to guess that might be the case. Alternatively, improper recording levels can also affect the outcome.

jimHJJ(...different isn't necessarily better or more accurate...in fact quite the opposite might be true...)

shokhead
04-19-2005, 08:09 AM
When i was doing alot of recording,i could tell a HUGE difference in brands.A few were great and most of the rest were bad.

jeskibuff
04-19-2005, 08:14 AM
As I recall, when I was heavy into recording to cassette I found more occurrances of dropouts with TDKs. I found the Maxells to produce more reliable recordings. I think the worst (top-end) tapes I dabbled with were Fujis. I think they had a rapid oxidation problem. I never was too fond of Fuji photographic film either - it always seemed to have a greenish tint to it.