Snell Type A [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Snell Type A

Mywing
04-16-2005, 01:47 AM
Hi all,
I'm owner since 1980 of a Snell Type pair. I would contact other Type A's owners.
What pre/power amplifier you use to drive your Type A? With wich results? Are you satisfy or you woul change them?
I wait for opinions.
Cheers,
Nino

RGA
04-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Well what is it you're using now? The Snell Type A original and II are considered to be one of the handful best speakers ever made...So much that another company, Audio Note, bought the rights to the speakers (so did Boston Acoustics who now owns Snell).

Audio Note has improved on the original Snells a fair bit but they don't make a type A yet -- though they are considering it.

Audio Note makes some of the best amplifiers in the world and use the Snell Type A as their master curve speakers...So presumably they would make the case for lower powered tube amplification. I would post on either the speaker forum or the Audio Note Kits forum under the sponsor section on the right hand side http://www.audioasylum.com/index.html

Also, they may give you some tips as to what to do to revamp them a little bit as some of them by now probably need to be re-foamed.

It depends how much you're willing to spend but My OTO would likely be a goodmatch for them and will run $3,100.00US with the tube phono board and about $2500.00 without. if yours has the rear firing tweeter -- it may be argued as a good fix to have that turned off.

Mywing
04-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Well what is it you're using now? The Snell Type A original and II are considered to be one of the handful best speakers ever made...So much that another company, Audio Note, bought the rights to the speakers (so did Boston Acoustics who now owns Snell).

Audio Note has improved on the original Snells a fair bit but they don't make a type A yet -- though they are considering it.

Audio Note makes some of the best amplifiers in the world and use the Snell Type A as their master curve speakers...So presumably they would make the case for lower powered tube amplification. I would post on either the speaker forum or the Audio Note Kits forum under the sponsor section on the right hand side http://www.audioasylum.com/index.html

Also, they may give you some tips as to what to do to revamp them a little bit as some of them by now probably need to be re-foamed.

It depends how much you're willing to spend but My OTO would likely be a goodmatch for them and will run $3,100.00US with the tube phono board and about $2500.00 without. if yours has the rear firing tweeter -- it may be argued as a good fix to have that turned off.
With my Snell A (original) I use Audio Research SP10/D115 pre/power. It's a perfect "ensemble" for me on opera and big orchestras listening, but on rock, jazz and small orchestras I'm not 100% satisfied: it lacks something....
In the past I tested my Snell with ML n.23 and I appreciated it, but tubes are another thing...
Cheers,
Nino

aroostookme
04-26-2005, 07:16 AM
I have a passion for these speakers and own three pairs. I keep them in different rooms and use different amps and source equipment. I'd be happy to share a few insights about tube and solid state: it seems to make little difference. The A's are hand-tuned and handle quality inputs well from both sources.

Dynaco & Jolida tube amps/pres: wonderful. NAD C350 & C270 maos (bi-amped): wonderful. Adcom 5802 and matching pre: wonderful.

Here are some insights from Snell and other owners that may be helpful. Peter Snell made these in days of zip cord as speaker wire. I have used upper end Cardas and upper end Tara and Kimber with these and the differences are little or none compared to the low cost Audioquest Type 4 in bi-wire.

Also, inside these is wiring from small gauge wire Hell. If you are able to do a little work yourself the difference are audible in the midrange and tweeters. Snell offers replacements for the two at ridiculous prices and they are both standard Vifa's that run a fourth the Snell re-sale price. So, the mid especially is an easy upgrade. The tweeter is in a hand-made metal casing and requires a little more work to change. Total cost per set is under $100 DIY. And (I know it is hard to believe) the A's are noticeable better.

Don't let that detract from your existing A's in anyway which most listeners melt upon hearing.

The wiring issue is this: the fuses in the back are no neccessary for most users. I have never popped one or damaged a mid or tweeter. But they are horrible signal paths and ferrous as well. Easy to wire around and replace with a reasonable new 14 - 16g product.
Add to that new crossover wiring from the Xover to the tweeter and mid and (if your woofer has be reconed already) these should be good for our lifetimes.

The mids and tweeters in there now are really old top line and not at all up to even midline current Danish speaker standards. I have tried really going over the top with my one set that I tinker with and added Hiquphon tweeters. I love these. But they do not improve the imaging or sound of the A's.

It's the replacement of the two speakers and a littlel internal wiring that I found to make amazing differences.

Finally, the actual crossovers of my A's have not been touched. Certainly not the hand-wound coils and resistors. The caps (we always hear cap choice is critical and more money makes a big difference) have not been changed.

I see no reason. They appear to work fine. If you haven't seen the crossovers for the A's you might be interested in knowing they look like the best today. Massive and heavy coils and all the caps are cascaded so by choice a 7mf might have a 5.4 - 1.5 - .5 array.

My hunch is this is a major deal in sound. As well as the curvilinear inner mounting board, and the long throw woofer with backwave restriction.

Enjoy.

aroostookme
04-26-2005, 07:23 AM
Can anyone share the Vifa model numbers for the Snell A's that are currently being stocked by Snell?

I have tweeter numbers, but can not find the mid exactly. If you have recently ordered from Snell directly this would be helpful.

The tweeters are Vifa 26TG-05 and available many places at about $40/pair. These are from recent replacements from Snell and they left the Vifa tags on them.

Anyone have the midrange replacement model numbers?

Thanks.

Mywing
04-29-2005, 12:31 PM
Aroostookme,
if I have well understood the most simple tweaks are bypass or replacing fuses (but I don't understood in wich way) and use Audioquest Type4 cables...
It's really all without undertake tweeter-mid replacing?
Internal rewiring it's secondary?
Cheers