looking for small MIDranges [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : looking for small MIDranges

Bobo22
04-15-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi guys,

First post woohoo!

Anyway, I'm building a personal hi-fi boombox system and right now I'm looking for the speakers. However, this is a very small boombox, and consequently, the speakers must be small as well. Ideally, they would be 2" in diameter, but I've realized from my research that midrange speakers really should be 3-6". So I guess I could go up to 3", but anything beyond that would just be too big. Now here comes the tough part: this is either going to be a 2.0 system or a 2.1 system. I need the mid-range speakers to do both my highs and lows. I could afford to do a subwoofer of some sort if it is very small. However, from what I've read, small-subwoofer is an oxymoron. So basically I need to find the highest quality do-everything 2"-3" speakers out there that can be had at a reasonable price (under $100). Thanks so much!

P.S. Does anyone know where I could buy a stand-alone CD drive and/or cassette player for integration into my unit. I've had no luck finding any so far.

Thanks Again!

peace

This Guy
04-16-2005, 07:21 AM
partsexpress.com they have a bunch of speaker drivers. Check out Tang Band, they make some good midrange tweeters, and can be had for much less than $100.

Bobo22
04-16-2005, 08:05 AM
so is the type of speaker I'm looking for referred to as a tweeter? I thought tweeters were only for high range? I'll take a look at partsexpress though.

This Guy
04-16-2005, 08:50 AM
no its refeered to as a "wide range" or "full range" or "mid-tweeter". It's just a speaker that can do the work of a midrange and a tweeter better than most.