Tweaks Gone Wrong [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tweaks Gone Wrong

A-Audiophile
04-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Tell about your tweak mistakes, fowlups and backfired tweaks.

What was supposed to be the outcome and what really happened?

kexodusc
04-15-2005, 04:38 AM
No tweaks gone wrong, plenty of speaker construction goofs.

Driver cutouts that were upside down, off centered, the wrong size...wiring up crossover with reversed polarities. The usual stuff.

JoeE SP9
04-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Never had a tweak go wrong. I did manage to insert a pentium chip in the socket incorrectly. When power was applied it sounded like an M80 had been ignited. This was when pentium's were knew and +$300.

toenail
04-16-2005, 04:53 AM
Speaker building nightmare. Just finished the cabinet and while screwing in the last driver the tip of the screw driver slips and goes right through the surround. HiFi shop actually exchanged it for me out of pity.

alexperl
04-20-2005, 11:23 PM
I recived the AR kit several days ago, I went to some wood store to cut MDF and took one tweeter and one woofer with me to try if the woofer and tweeter will fit the holes.
After the MDF was cut some guy took it ti CNC machine to cut the holes for woofers and tweeters, the CNC machine holds MDF with vacuum :)
After he cut the holes hi wanted to TRY if the woofer fits the hole :)
SO he tooked my little baby and put it in the hole :confused:
The hole paper cone of the woofer was sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! inside that xxxxxx Mashine!
I was never felt that bad...
So now i just assembeling all stuff besides the drivers, i am waiting for anothe woofer from madisaund....

kexodusc
04-21-2005, 03:57 AM
I recived the AR kit several days ago, I went to some wood store to cut MDF and took one tweeter and one woofer with me to try if the woofer and tweeter will fit the holes.
After the MDF was cut some guy took it ti CNC machine to cut the holes for woofers and tweeters, the CNC machine holds MDF with vacuum :)
After he cut the holes hi wanted to TRY if the woofer fits the hole :)
SO he tooked my little baby and put it in the hole :confused:
The hole paper cone of the woofer was sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! inside that xxxxxx Mashine!
I was never felt that bad...
So now i just assembeling all stuff besides the drivers, i am waiting for anothe woofer from madisaund....

Alex, sorry to hear about your misfortune, but that's got to be the best DIY screw-up story I've heard yet...
I hope the guy who sucked your woofer is paying for a new one?

toenail
04-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Youch!!!! Bet you increased the x-max on that baby a touch.

pelly3s
04-21-2005, 03:24 PM
ohhhhh ive had way too many things go wrong, but most have been in the pro audio world, crossovers wired wrong, recones gone bad, amps exploding, 400 volt caps discharging on my hand (that put me down for a day or so). I think the best one would have to be working on a mixer one time I was doing a mod on the channel strips and i cut the traces on half the channels then realized i ended up cutting the wrong trace..the worst part was it was on a $10,000 board. Hey we make mistakes sometimes.