Mission 771e [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mission 771e

vr6ofpain
04-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Has anyone heard this speaker? I am interested in picking up a pair, because the reviews are interesting, but I was wondering if anyone has a personal experience with it, or other Mission speakers? It is my understanding that they are more laid back sounding, which is what I prefer. I hate bright speakers.

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/upload_images/reviews/mission771e.jpg
The rear wood outer cabinet is a very nice looking touch.
http://i6.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/bd/e2/dd_1_b.JPG

Hi-Fi Choice:
http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=770

google translations are hilarious (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ko&u=http://www.hometheaterlife.co.kr/detail/1.mission.speaker.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmission%2B771e%26start%3D40%26hl%3Den %26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN)

rozzar
04-14-2005, 12:05 PM
oh they do sound awful. lacking in bass extension, hollow midrange, usual spitty Mission tweeter. Look for some Wharfedale Diamond 8.2s or Mordaunt Short 902s instead.

vr6ofpain
04-14-2005, 12:51 PM
oh they do sound awful. lacking in bass extension, hollow midrange, usual spitty Mission tweeter. Look for some Wharfedale Diamond 8.2s or Mordaunt Short 902s instead.

With the application it would be used for, a subwoofer is present, so it's bass extension is not an issue.

What do you mean by hollow midrange and 'spitty Mission tweeter'? Have you had bad experience with their speakers? I have never actually heard them before, but the reviews I found seemed to be positive.

In spitty, do you mean bright?

Anyone else?

rozzar
04-14-2005, 01:36 PM
hollow midrange means that vocals sound like they're trapped in a box. Mission speakers after the Freedom range of the early 90s sound very very artificial and accentuate the frequency extremes awfully. Spitty tweeter means unrefined, possibly emphasising silbilance in vocals and hi-hats etc. Don't think a subwoofer would solve all the problems too. The 771es so bottom out fairly highly at 60hz or so. This means a subwoofer has to go up fairly highly and you may have some problems blending the two in. A decent subwoofer would definetly be a must too- a 500UKP one (i think 800$) should be ok.

topspeed
04-14-2005, 01:57 PM
I have a pair of 780 Argonauts (2 way floorstanders) that still sound terrific after almost 20 years of use. The mids don't sound anything like rozzar describes, but then again mine are quite a bit older and perhaps they changed the voicing along the way. They can still hold their own against my far newer albeit more refined B&W's. I haven't heard the ones you mention, but I heard some standmounts (can't remember the model #) a year or so ago and thought they were typical Brit: neutral, a tad polite, not a lot of bass extension, clear and fluid treble. Mission has a rep for providing very good bang for the buck. As always, demo the and believe your own ears more than any reviews. FWIW, Wharfedale, Mission, and Quad are owned by the same company.

A word to the wise, after they split with Denon as their NA distributor a few years back, the company seemed lost and it was darn near impossible to get any product information. Hopefully, they have that straightened out now, but I'd check into that before making any decisions.

Hope this helps.

vr6ofpain
04-14-2005, 07:38 PM
Hope this helps.
I think you two have convinced me to go with the Dayton/Parts Express BR-1 DIY....

:)

audiophile36
04-14-2005, 08:12 PM
I think you two have convinced me to go with the Dayton/Parts Express BR-1 DIY....

:)I have owned a pair of 771e's for several year's and must say that they are a very fine speaker.They sound detailed yet slightly laid back with tight punchy bass.I never used a sub with them and never had the need for one with jazz and classical music.The 771e's have a wonderful midrange that let's all the fine detail through without coloration.How much and where are you getting them from I'd love to own them again.The only thing the Dayton's have better than the 771e's is deeper bass, everything else the 771e's are way better especially fit and finish of the cab's.

vr6ofpain
04-14-2005, 08:43 PM
I have owned a pair of 771e's for several year's and must say that they are a very fine speaker.They sound detailed yet slightly laid back with tight punchy bass.I never used a sub with them and never had the need for one with jazz and classical music.The 771e's have a wonderful midrange that let's all the fine detail through without coloration.How much and where are you getting them from I'd love to own them again.The only thing the Dayton's have better than the 771e's is deeper bass, everything else the 771e's are way better especially fit and finish of the cab's.

....and then there was a contrary opinion.

Why did you get rid of them?

Have you actually listened to the BR-1's for an extended period?

vr6ofpain
04-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Oh I bid on a pair, on ebay, and the seller said they may sell them to me, since the high bidder (who outbid me by $4) has not paid yet(~week since auction close). If I purchase them it would be for $150+shipping.

Is that a reasonable price....apparently they were $400, retail...new.

I haven't heard either the 771e, nor the BR-1, but I am equally interested in each. The main reason being an affordable uprgrade from some worthless infinity bookshelves. $150+better than average sound is what I really am looking for. I really think I will have to go with the BR-1, for the fun factor of building them.

...but yes those Mission's look awesome, and the BR-1's are homely!

m500
04-15-2005, 04:30 AM
Mission speakers. One of the rare brand you'll find in US soil. I like them very much. They are OEM for Denon audio systems and do sounds great in classical musical.

audiophile36
04-18-2005, 08:09 AM
....and then there was a contrary opinion.

Why did you get rid of them?

Have you actually listened to the BR-1's for an extended period? I got rid of them because I wanted to try something new like all audiophiles but I wish I hadn't.I have listened to a pair of BR-1's for a total of 2 week's before I sold them because they looked cheap to me and the bass was loose not tight and punchy.