2 Track(Stereo) from AV Receivers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 2 Track(Stereo) from AV Receivers

sudhirbhosale
04-14-2005, 12:55 AM
:) Hi everybody,
First time I am positing.....
I am music lover hence I wanted to buy stereo amp. But when I sawYAMAHA RXV 350 it sounded great with 5speakers, hence i bought it thought that i can also use it as HT when required. But when I tried to play it in stereo mode (by making all settings like play only 2 speakers, direct the basss signals to fronts only) I am not getting bass with a punch. I am planning to replace speakers with the towrs Mission m76. Before that want to have opinion. It is giving great sound separation and high frequencies

Is it possible to get good 2 track music from AV receiver? :(

Does speaker ohm influence bass? :(

kexodusc
04-14-2005, 04:00 AM
But when I tried to play it in stereo mode (by making all settings like play only 2 speakers, direct the basss signals to fronts only) I am not getting bass with a punch. I am planning to replace speakers with the towrs Mission m76. Before that want to have opinion. It is giving great sound separation and high frequencies

What speakers do you have now? Punchy bass requires more than just the right speakers and right amplifier...proper speaker set up can bring the most out of the bass, whereas if speakers are too close to walls, or too far (depending on type) the bass might appear weak and thin.
In my setup I actually show a few people who aren't into audio very much the huge difference in bass response my system will see if I move my front speakers 2 inches closer to the back wall. My speakers are rear ported, and when they are moved closer the bass suffers, that seemingly small 2 inches can really kill the response.
Your room acoustics can play a big role as well. Certain bass frequencies are amplified and diminished (modes and nodes), it's entirely possible this is affecting things as well. If your seating position is in an acoustic node, chances are any speaker/amp combo isn't going to enjoy its maximum bass potential.

Is it possible to get good 2 track music from AV receiver? :(

Absolutely! There are some scientific types who are quick to point out that our best research to date has failed to prove an audible difference in sound between a/v receivers and high end stereo amplifiers every single time. I personally believe in the benefits of better amplification, but I do believe that the differences in sound quality aren't nearly as big as the so called audiophiles make it out to be. Keep in mind that speakers will generate the biggest effect on overall sound quality, far more than amplification.

Does speaker ohm influence bass? :(
Ohms "could" influence the bass depending on the resistance profile of the speaker system...a large change in the resistance in the bass region can make it more difficult or easier to drive the speaker. Most speakers are fairly competent in this regard though, and your Yamaha shouldn't have a problem powering 4 ohm speakers at all but the loudest volumes. However, without knowing your speakers, it is possible they are creating difficulty for the receiver.

Switching to towers will yield a bit more bass response, however, if the towers are the same, or similar to your bookshelf speakers now, I would suggest applying that money to a subwoofer. The benefits of a good subwoofer should not be ignored. For speakers under $1000 or so, it's been my experience that the bass you gain by going with towers is never as much as the bass you'll gain by adding a subwoofer. What's more, as I touched on earlier, an external subwoofer allows you to place the bass generating speaker in an appropriate location in your room while leaving your main speakers where they are. Sometimes the best spot for bass and midrange/high-frequencies in a given room aren't always the same place.

It could very well that you require more power or better amplification, but given the cost/benefit of buying amplifiers/recievers, I would suggest to you that you experiment with proper speaker placement first. That is the cheapest (free) and easiest solution! I don't know how much you know about proper speaker placement so forgive me if I'm assuming you're a bit new at this, but an excellent link to start with is:
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/speakerplacement.html

There's some further links at the bottom of that page.

If you still aren't happy, then you might consider your next step. Personally, I like to avoid throwing money at problems, opting for cheaper solutions. When money is required, I look to use it most effectively, capturing the biggest improvement.

There's a lot of products competing for your money in this industry, and a lot of half-truths and crooked salespeople to boot. A website like this can be an invaluable learning source and save you a ton of money on your quest to find audio-nirvana.

Good luck!!!