The Get Up Kids [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Get Up Kids

ForeverAutumn
04-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Can anyone tell me anything about this band? I received an email from House of Blues because they're coming to town. I've never heard of them, but there were a couple of 30 seconds bits attached to the email and they sounded kinda interesting. Made me curious.

Anyone. Anyone.

Finch Platte
04-14-2005, 01:56 AM
Cathartic, bittersweet, raucous, reflective, passionate, rousing, tense/anxious and melancholy.

Plus they have a dumb name.

Never heard 'em.

fp

Finch Platte
04-14-2005, 08:31 AM
I'll bet Troy would get a kick out of the Rheostats disc you sent me. Whaddyou think?

fp

ForeverAutumn
04-14-2005, 01:55 PM
I'll bet Troy would get a kick out of the Rheostats disc you sent me. Whaddyou think?

fp

Already sent it to him. His comments were that he liked The Tarleks, but overall didn't like it as much as their album Whale Music. I would have to agree with him on the Whale Music comment. What did you think of the disk that I sent you?

A couple of things for you...
1) Got your package yesterday. Thank you very much. It'll keep my ears busy for a while.

2) I was listening to the comp with the acoustic version of Three Days Grace today. Did you notice the really bad edit in it? The line is, "you just aren't drunk enough to fvck". But someone erased fvck and overdubbed it with "talk". And they overdubbed it really badly. Just bleep the damn word if you don't wanna hear it! This is not a band that transposes well to acoustic.

3) On that same comp...you sent me a note with it regarding The Chemistry. Good call. They're my favourites tracks on the comp. :)

Finch Platte
04-14-2005, 07:42 PM
Already sent it to him. His comments were that he liked The Tarleks, but overall didn't like it as much as their album Whale Music. I would have to agree with him on the Whale Music comment. What did you think of the disk that I sent you?

What's The Tarleks? I got the Rheostats and Boy. The Rheostats are growing on me, and I haven't listened to Boy except the first time.

A couple of things for you...
1) Got your package yesterday. Thank you very much. It'll keep my ears busy for a while.

You're welcome. Got more that'll be along someday soon.

2) I was listening to the comp with the acoustic version of Three Days Grace today. Did you notice the really bad edit in it? The line is, "you just aren't drunk enough to fvck". But someone erased fvck and overdubbed it with "talk". And they overdubbed it really badly. Just bleep the damn word if you don't wanna hear it! This is not a band that transposes well to acoustic.

I didn't notice that. Too busy FF'ing the song. ;)

3) On that same comp...you sent me a note with it regarding The Chemistry. Good call. They're my favourites tracks on the comp. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah- I'll have to dig some more of that up. The two songs were on a comp I got, so that's all I've heard, too.

Cool!

fp

Jim Clark
04-15-2005, 04:43 AM
Can anyone tell me anything about this band? I received an email from House of Blues because they're coming to town. I've never heard of them, but there were a couple of 30 seconds bits attached to the email and they sounded kinda interesting. Made me curious.

Anyone. Anyone.

Well, they're from Kansas City, that much I know. They're punk"ish", but more of the Greenday sound not really all that far off from the mall punk stuff that J really likes (smilie).

Not really my kind of thing but I won't speak for you.

jc

-Jar-
04-15-2005, 05:13 AM
They're one of the bigger "Emo" bands that emerged from the 90's. Others similar to them are Jimmy Eat World (JEW), The Promise Ring (R.I.P.) and Saves the Day.

Of all the Get Up Kids (or GUK for short) I've heard, I really like their 1999 album SOMETHING TO WRITE HOME ABOUT. It's one of the touchstones of the Emo movement. They've mellowed and matured their sound somewhat since then, but I haven't really listened to their newer stuff that much. I really like SOMETHING.. though. Big pop hooks and crunchy guitars, songs about twentysomething situtations involving friends and girls and stuff... though the singing might be a bit on the whiney side for some, but they're not Dashboard Confessional whiney.. The Green Day comparison is appropriate too, even maybe Blink 182, but GUK take themselves a bit more seriously, as do most of the Emo bands. Most of the Emo bands like GUK and JEW are growing up and getting over the whiny break-up/relationship stufff that defined them as Emo in the first place. Which is probably a good thing in the long run..

-jar

ForeverAutumn
04-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Big pop hooks and crunchy guitars

An appropriate discription of what I liked about the 30 second bits that I heard. And the Green Day comparison has definately increased my curiousity, since GD has been one of my favourite bands for years.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to pick up a CD.