"Shifting" Sound Field Due to Room Restrictions? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : "Shifting" Sound Field Due to Room Restrictions?

3catcircus
04-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Quick question:

We recently installed a new plasma tv (wall-mounted) and in-wall speakers (actually in-ceiling...). Due to the room configuration, the plasma tv could not be mounted directly below the center channel speaker (the door to the powder room is in the way).

What is the best way to "shift" the sound field so that it sounds like the center channel is coming from directly in line with the tv and the left and right channels shift?

Basically, I need to "shift" the sound field to the right about 4 feet.

My configuration: cheapie Sherwood RD-6108, Samsung 42" plasma, Velodyne sub, and 5 Elan MP525W in-wall speakers.

Thanks

paul_pci
04-13-2005, 07:29 PM
4 feet is quite a distance to shift a sound field, but since your speakers are in-wall there's not much can do short of moving the main L/R speakers. The conventional way would be to point the center speaker at the listening position, but you can't do that with in-wall speakers. So, I suggest you pack up and buy a new house.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-14-2005, 07:29 AM
This is the prime reason why I suggest that everyone plan to the hilt when using in walls.
If you find too many compromises because of the way the room is configured, don't use that room.

3catcircus
04-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Unfortunately, the house wasn't a new-built - and I've inherited it with the holes already cut in the ceiling and the holes already drilled in the wall... This is the *only* room any home theater would fit into this house to begin with and the marital unit, female, 1 each, wouldn't let me start digging more holes in the place...

This is the prime reason why I suggest that everyone plan to the hilt when using in walls.
If you find too many compromises because of the way the room is configured, don't use that room.

This Guy
04-14-2005, 06:02 PM
You'd get a better center image if you just use the left and right speakers without the center. The center is just gonna set everything off and you can't do anything about it.bummer