Upgrading a PVR / DVD-R [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading a PVR / DVD-R

nightflier
04-13-2005, 03:04 PM
I have a Panasonic DVD recorder with a built-in 40Gb hard drive. I've opened it up and it looks like a regular 40Gb IDE hard drive. I was thinking that I could upgrade this myself using some hard drive duplicating software. Will that work? Has anyone tried this? Or do you recommend going with a company that specializes in doing this?

Since this may require a firmware upgrade I am thinking that I better let someone else do this. If so, are there any companies that you could recommend?

plextor guy
04-13-2005, 04:26 PM
If so, replacing hard drives couldn't be easier. Here's one of several companies that will help:

http://www.weaknees.com/

If it's not a Tivo, the hard drive is still going to be a standard ide drive. The trick will be finding out what software you'll need to prep the new drive. I'd google "[brand of your pvr] upgrade hard drive" You'll almost certainly find good instruction, downloads and help.

nightflier
04-14-2005, 02:05 PM
Weaknees only does Tivo-based systems. Mine is a stand-alone unit w/o the Tivo-type subcription system. Any other companies that come well recommended?