On Pixies, Modest Mice and Bunny avatars... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : On Pixies, Modest Mice and Bunny avatars...

Snowbunny
04-13-2005, 01:27 PM
Just when I thought that Modest Mouse and The White Stripes were fresh new bands, I hear my first Pixies song, The Bone Machine on Davey's new comp.

No question that they influenced MM and WS. Add a lisp to the Pixie singer's voice, and it's a dead ringer for Isaac Brock's. Or vice versa, since the Pixies came first.

And is a bone machine what I think it is?

Also, on the subject of Modest Mouse, Im finally really starting to enjoy Good News.

And speaking of influences, M.M.'s, Bukowski could easily be a Tom Waits? song!

And speaking of Tom Waits, when I get more time I'll post about the most excellent concert last summer at the Orpheum in Vancouver.

And speaking of annoying, I'd appreciate suggestions for a less-annoying avatar for the happy bunny.

Davey
04-13-2005, 03:42 PM
And is a bone machine what I think it is?
And what do you think it is? Hehehe, I made a post about the comp when it was released a couple months ago that attempted to connect all the monkey bones and establish the possible connection between Black Francis and Tom Waits, but it was mostly just for fun. Before I posted the comp, I scribbled out this big overblown explanation of what it all meant and how it related to turning 50 and on and on, but thankfully I found the trashcan before turning to the keyboard. Some things are better left unsaid ;)

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=73282&highlight=bone+machine+pixies#post73282

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/misc_images/snowbuns.gif

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/misc_images/mebuns.gif

Snowbunny
04-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Thanks a bunn-ch for the images, Davey. I wish the file size allowed here wasn't so tiny! I guess they don't want our images to distract from the blinking ads!

Interesting post on the Pixies. The one album I listened to by them didn't really appeal to me. Maybe I should give them another shot after hearing Bone Machine.

And speaking of ads, have you seen the commercial for Adidas that Spike Jonze directed? Its called "Hello Tommorow" and features a dreamy/nightmarish video with a song that stopped me in my tracks and sent me straight to the computer to see if I could find out who the singer was.

Its sung by Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and I think I read somewhere that Spike's brother wrote the music just for the commercial. What an incredibly haunting voice she has!

Davey
04-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Thanks a bunn-ch for the images, Davey. I wish the file size allowed here wasn't so tiny! I guess they don't want our images to distract from the blinking ads!

Here it is already sized to 80 pixels with bigger text...http://members.mailaka.net/davey/misc_images/SB.gif

[quote]
Its sung by Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs....What an incredibly haunting voice she has!
Yeah, she is pretty cool (or hot). Their album is pretty well liked by many around here. A little too overdramatic at times, but still pretty alluring. They got tons of MTV play, I think. I've had it on my wishlist for a very long time. I think I read recently that they recorded their whole sophtware slump album but then threw it out because it just wasn't memorable enough and they didn't wwant to go down in flames after all the good acclaim from their debut.

Snowbunny
04-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Yeah, she is pretty cool (or hot). Their album is pretty well liked by many around here. A little too overdramatic at times, but still pretty alluring. They got tons of MTV play, I think. I've had it on my wishlist for a very long time. I think I read recently that they recorded their whole sophtware slump album but then threw it out because it just wasn't memorable enough and they didn't wwant to go down in flames after all the good acclaim from their debut.

Geez, you're so smart, resizing the text like that. Thanks again. Too bad your EQ wasn't as high as your IQ! :D

You really need to see that commercial, Davey. I watched it on-line once on the adidas website, but it might be a little onerous for your slow connection.

Snowbuns

-Jar-
04-14-2005, 08:46 AM
I can't believe you've been around here as long as you have and NOT heard the Pixies. :)

-jar

Davey
04-14-2005, 08:54 AM
I can't believe you've been around here as long as you have and NOT heard the Pixies. :)

-jar

I can't believe both of the Snowbuns quotes below could be true ;)

Just when I thought that Modest Mouse and The White Stripes were fresh new bands, I hear my first Pixies song, The Bone Machine on Davey's new comp.

Interesting post on the Pixies. The one album I listened to by them didn't really appeal to me. Maybe I should give them another shot after hearing Bone Machine.

Dusty Chalk
04-14-2005, 09:51 PM
What's annoying about your avatar? I like happy bunny.

You could always switch to the playboy variety.