Is a POWER CONSOLE necessary? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is a POWER CONSOLE necessary?

m500
04-13-2005, 10:28 AM
I been seeing the power console everywhere in any audio/video showroom display. They do look nice and showy but its cost a fortune to get even a entry level one by Monster as that the only brand I seem on the market so far. My question is that is it really necessary? Would a regular surge protector from Target works.

StanleyMuso
04-13-2005, 07:37 PM
I would say you are paying for the name. I'm sure there are plenty of products just as good or better at more reasonable prices. However, unless you are living in an area with terribly dirty or unreliable electricity supply, an expensive surge protector is a waste of money. In all the years I have been using hi-fi and computer gear at home, I have never ever had any problems from the power supply (that is, there have been power failures, but nothing has ever been damaged - perhaps I've just been lucky). In most areas, for peace of mind, a basic unit from Target or electronics store will do fine.

Worf101
04-14-2005, 05:46 AM
I've run my system with one and without one for periods during that time. The bottom line is, if you've a modern home, with decent wiring up to code, and are not subject to frequent outages or "dirty power" from your utility (something which few of us in the U.S. are) then I see no need for the thing. You don't need it, it's a waste of money and strictly for "ahh" factor.

Da Worfster :o

m500
04-14-2005, 06:43 AM
Couldn't help myself when I look up the Belkin PureAV Power Console. Its just so perfect for me in the slim brush alumium casing. When I look up the price online with some heavy discount for the PF30 shipped for only $116.00 I just close my eye and bought it. I know its waste of money but they look so good together.

GTF
04-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Here this company has been making and selling AC power products for years without the usuall audiophile spin. cryo this, cryo that, IEC connectors, magic wire, etc.
http://www.elect-spec.com/acprot2.htm#Laboratory

GTF