Porky Twee about to hit it big? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Porky Twee about to hit it big?

Finch Platte
04-13-2005, 06:55 AM
I was checking out Tower's site, looking for the new System Of A Down. Right on the front page, lumped in with the Mariah Careys, Garbage, et al, are the underdogs.

Garbage : Bleed Like Me
Bleed Like Me is simply smashing! It's everything that you'd expect from one of the past decade's most acclaimed and innovative bands: Sexy, sonically ambitious, loud, emotionally fraught and catchy as can be.

Discover More New & Upcoming Music:
º Amerie º Mariah Carey º Circa Survive º The Dresden Dolls
º Il Divo º Keith Jarrett º Jo Dee Messina º Mudvayne
º New Order º Nine Inch Nails º Porcupine Tree º John Prine
º Bruce Springsteen º Rob Thomas º Stevie Wonder

Go PT!

fp

Dave_G
04-13-2005, 08:11 AM
I know most of ya'll disagree with me but my money says P.T. will forever stay way out of the mainstream.

Unless they release a pop or rap song.

Dave

Troy
04-13-2005, 08:17 AM
I disagree Dave, PT has the potential to be the next Radiohead. The next Mars Volta at the very least.

Whether you think that these bands are in the US mainstream is a whole other subject . . .

DarrenH
04-13-2005, 09:27 AM
It's really hard to speculate. I'm sure SW thought the band would become more popular after signing with Lava Atlantic and releasing In Absentia and then touring with Yes. I mean, I'm sure it helped but not on as a large a scale as he had hoped.

And maybe that tour with Yes wasn't such a good idea. Lots of Yes fans didn't even catch the band and many of those that did weren't very receptive.

I hope Lava Atlantic does a better job promoting the band this time around. I do think they've dropped the ball in that department. I never see an album of theirs in any music store. Why is that?

Darren

kexodusc
04-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Geez, I'm not sure I'd even consider Radiohead in the US mainstream...You've pretty much got to be bubblegum pop or bad dirty alternative rock to be mainstream now...

I wonder If I'll be one of those fans that turns my back on the "sell-outs" just because they finally hit it big?

Naaaaahhh!!!

Mr MidFi
04-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Geez, I'm not sure I'd even consider Radiohead in the US mainstream...You've pretty much got to be bubblegum pop or bad dirty alternative rock to be mainstream now...

When your album goes #1 on the Billboard chart, you're mainstream...whether you like it or not.

Davey
04-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Kid A debuted at #1 on Billboard. Guess it all depends on your definition. Many probably wouldn't call Beck mainstream either, but his new one debuted at #2. I don't think the term "mainstream" is really very descriptive anymore, if it ever was. Just too many different markets for music. Green Day is certainly mainstream based on their mega million selling albums, but so is Norah Jones and 50 Cent. Kinda funny times :)

Dave_G
04-13-2005, 11:51 AM
I just don't get the Radiohead thing.

Their music annoys the stew out of me, but man they always sell out their concerts.

Porcupine Tree is still to proggy to make it big time, at least to me.

I like them a lot, though.

BTW a kid at the local indie record store told me the new PT is copy protected to the hilt. He got an advanced copy and he said you can't rip it, burn it, or whatever.

Maybe he's an amateur tho on computer stuff.

I bet my component burner would copy it.

Dave

ForeverAutumn
04-13-2005, 02:49 PM
I never see an album of theirs in any music store. Why is that? Darren

Really? Our local Best Buy and Future Shop (Canadian Best Buy) had loads of In Absentia when it came out. Both the jewel case and digipak even. Surprised the heck out of me since they usually only carry the mass marketed disks.

I'm hoping to find the new one there when it's released. Only 13 more sleeps! :D

Dave_G
04-14-2005, 05:09 AM
Here in hurtin Atlanta PT releases are unavailable for the most part, in stores. I have seen an occasional copy of the latest one but the old catalog - no way Jose.

Except maybe at the record show that rolls thru here about every 2 months.

I need a real copy of Stupid Dream, mine got took by some thugs. Luckily Mr. Designshead cooked me up a copy so I can still listen, but I want the real thang, ya know!

Dave

Hawkeye
04-14-2005, 08:48 AM
BTW a kid at the local indie record store told me the new PT is copy protected to the hilt. He got an advanced copy and he said you can't rip it, burn it, or whatever.
Not true. ;-)

BTW, I heard my first PT song (Shallow), on the radio this morning on the drive in to work. The local radio stations around here are usually really bad, this was a surprise.

BarryL
04-14-2005, 09:10 AM
Only 13 more sleeps! :D

I'm going to combine some sleeps and see if I can get mine early!

DarrenH
04-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Really? Our local Best Buy and Future Shop (Canadian Best Buy) had loads of In Absentia when it came out. Both the jewel case and digipak even. Surprised the heck out of me since they usually only carry the mass marketed disks.

I'm hoping to find the new one there when it's released. Only 13 more sleeps! :D

Same here. When it first came out it was in Media Play and BB and my local independent music shop (who has since gone out of business). Nothing since. Not even the new remasters of Coma Divine, Sky Moves, On The Sunday, Voyage 34.....nothing. Just In Absentia and you don't even see that anymore. Oh well.

I pre-ordered Deadwing and it should arrive on my doorstep shortly after the release date. My hope is that it arrives on the release date.

Oh, got an email from Shawn Gordon over at Prog Rock Records. The new Frameshift has shipped and I should have it today or tomorrow. Yippee!

Darren

ForeverAutumn
04-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Oh, got an email from Shawn Gordon over at Prog Rock Records. The new Frameshift has shipped and I should have it today or tomorrow. Yippee!

Darren

Oooooooh. Aaaaaaaah. I didn't pre-order mine because I want to hear what you think of it first. Ordering from ProgRock can be an expensive propostion for me, what with international shipping costs, currency exchange, potential tax and duty costs as it crosses the border. I'd like to know that it's worth it first. I'm sure it will be, but I'd like to get the DarrenH stamp of approval nonetheless. :)

Kaboom
04-15-2005, 10:27 AM
yeah, when they start making simpler songs, which i am afraid to say they are starting to do. Definately In Absentia and Deadwing are much more accessible (although not REALLY accessible) than say for example stupid dream.
Eventually they will release a simple song which isnt proggy, with a catchy melody, they'll get some radio time and they'll sell. When they do that, i'll stop buying their music. If i want simple, i buy AC/DC...
in the meanwhile, any song with a tempo change in the middle is a recipe for disaster when it comes to sales nowadays, with *****ey spears and the such making such pathetic noise...