Any interest in the Current Rotation Sampler series? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in the Current Rotation Sampler series?

Davey
04-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Just wondering if this thing died a natural death or do we wanna revive it at some point? I never did one and always thought it might be kind of fun to be the curator. I guess we made it up to number 9 with JDaniel doing the last one. The first 8 are listed in the group comps thread at http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=2084 for those not already in the know. And Jimbo did one of his own, but that doesn't count! And we did a virtual one too, but that doesn't count either! Some pretty good ones in the past. Not sure which is my favorite but I remember really liking that one chrisnz did. Actually, all of them have been fun, even if a bit uneven. A bit uneven? Hehehe, that's an understatement!

Anyway guys and gals (and Sloshy too), whaddaya think? No? Yes? Maybe? Take a hike, loser?

What the #&!$ does CRSV mean? (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=30769)

Jim Clark
04-12-2005, 12:59 PM
as the immortal gods at Nike say, JDI

jc

DarrenH
04-12-2005, 01:15 PM
and would be willing to contribute a couple of songs.

nobody
04-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Sure, I'd contribute. I always like them things.

Slosh
04-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Alright, I'll make this easy on ya. I'll give up "We Both Go Down Together" for my main pick and "Skin Is, My" or "Masterfade" (your choice) just in case there aren't enough
nominations. Now stop f<a>uckin' around with the internet and get busy! :D

-Jar-
04-12-2005, 03:23 PM
absolutely! I'm game. I'm getting ready to send you stuffs anyway.

Actually I just listened to CRSv1 on Sunday and had a nice time. Many of the tracks were better than I remembered them.

I was going to make a 1cd comp of all the CRS discs using a higher format MP3 or WMA, but I'm not sure if I could fit all 9 onto one disc. Might be fun for reference purposes.

Anyway, I hope to have my package in the mail in the next week.

-jar

Troy
04-12-2005, 04:29 PM
i'll throw you acouple of songs. I promise none of them will be mine.

tentoze
04-12-2005, 04:34 PM
I can come up with one or two that are guaranteed to send folks lunging for the skip button.

tugmcmartin
04-12-2005, 04:39 PM
I'd be game and can contribute a track or two or ten. Would just need mailing info since i don't have any of the old addresses that i used to have.

BTW, whatever happened to the mystery disc series? Those were pretty fun too when we were doing those. Anyone done one of those in the last year or so? Inquiring minds want to know....

Tug

Davey
04-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Looks like there's probably gonna be enough interest to do a CRSV10, so I'll go ahead and open the bidding now. Remember folks, there's only about 16 of these highly coveted slots available so get your bids in early! Opportunities like this don't fall in your lap everyday! Snooze and ya lose!

Anyway, newcomers and oldcomers are welcome alike. In fact, newcomers are even more welcome! No heavy rule list, just pick a song, any song. Preferably something of recent vintage that hasn't already been splashed all over the radio or talked about around here ad nauseum. Something that hit the streets in the last couple years that most of us missed, or that you think we shoulda heard, or that we woulda been happier if we hadda heard. If I was giving points, you'd get extra ones for picking something fun and eclectic, but remember that your audience is mostly a bunch of fat old geezers who are stuck in their ways, and think grey is a color. Well, except for me, of course. I'm old, but nonstick :)

PM me for my Sunnyvale address if you don't have it already. The one on the Terrace with the '473' and the big 'E'. Send me something or just ask me to add it for you if you know I already have it. Although I don't have all that many CDs with me right now. Or piggyback with someone else to include it with their order. If you send more than one song, tell me which one you prefer. Be nice if the people who want to participate post a note here so we know when to either call it off or close the bidding. But keep your song secret cause everybody likes a surprize.

Artwork suggestions and nominations encouraged as well! More rules to follow later...

just kidding about the rules ;)

Ex Lion Tamer
04-12-2005, 05:28 PM
I can come up with one or two that are guaranteed to send folks lunging for the skip button.

Hey, that's my job, buddy. I'll try to scare something up.

Dusty Chalk
04-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Can I make a request?

J/K...

Mike
04-13-2005, 12:11 AM
I'll chip in, I'll send a few tunes this weekend

Cheers
Mike

Jim Clark
04-13-2005, 04:24 AM
I'd gladly give up my slot to someone who has never been involved. I'm sure many here might offer additional support to my not having a song included : ) If any relative newcomer wants to be involved and not quite sure what's going on here, please post your questions.

jc

JDaniel
04-13-2005, 04:53 AM
I'll ante up. But I do need your new addy. You can pm me.

And here's another idea, sort of piggybacking on jar's idea. When CRSv10 is done, and reviewed, let's do a series of polls asking for your fav. song off of each CRSv disc. We'll list out the tracklist for each. Then let's do a Best of CRSv disc. Whaddaya think?

JD

Snowbunny
04-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Holy Crapola! There is still life in this old board!!!

I guess I should have responded this morning. Got room for a girlie tune?

ForeverAutumn
04-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Holy Crapola! There is still life in this old board!!!

I guess I should have responded this morning. Got room for a girlie tune?

Make that two girlie tunes. And I promise that mine won't be prog. :)

Slosh
04-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Preferably something of recent vintage that hasn't already been talked about around here ad nauseum. But keep your song secret cause everybody likes a surprize.

Sheesh, I've been kicked off already

Davey
04-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Probably room for at least a couple more looney tunes if we have any takers out there? I count about 13 or 14 so far, but typically there's always a few squirrels that don't hand over their nuts when the pedal hits the metal ....

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/misc_images/howzithangin.jpg

DarrenH
04-14-2005, 11:15 AM
And I promise that mine won't be prog. :)

Cool, I've got this 31 minute opus magnus that I was gonna send Davey. ;) :p

Mr MidFi
04-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Okey-doke. I'm in. Is that it, now?

audiobill
04-15-2005, 06:53 AM
....why not??

Count me in, Davey.

Please PM your sunnyvale locale to me.

Cheers,

audiobill

Finch Platte
04-15-2005, 07:14 AM
You've got enough folks contributing to make a 2-disc'er! Especially w/ that 30 minute prog song.

I'd like to play- but I'll be like Jim & let someone else go first. If you need another song, lemme know.

fp

Davey
04-15-2005, 09:31 AM
OK, here's the lineup at the moment. Seems like there's probably room for everybody unless someone does get a little proggy on us. I think everyone that needed it has my addy now, but let me know if you don't have the Sunnyvale one. And if you are having second thoughts, just say and someone else can step in. Or I'll put an embarrassingly bad song on the comp and label it as yours. And don't think that I can't come up with some embarrassingly bad songs, because I do have some of Sloshy's comps :D

CRSV10 Lineup

1. DarrenH
2. nobody
3. Jar
4. Troy
5. tentoze
6. tugmcmartin
7. Ex Lion Tamer
8. Mike
9. JDaniel
10. Snowbunny
11. Forever Autumn
12. Slosh
13. Mr MidFi
14. audiobill
15. Whooptee
16. Me
17. Jim Clark?
18. Finch Platte?
19. Dusty Chalk?

Slosh
04-15-2005, 09:59 AM
You can bump my song if you need some room for someone else. Gawd, all this fuss over a pity reply :p

Davey
04-15-2005, 10:54 AM
You can bump my song if you need some room for someone else. Gawd, all this fuss over a pity reply :p
You doofus! Hey, your new Guerillas in the Mix is outstanding! Been playing it a lot. Love some of the choices you made. Everything sounds so fresh, even though I've heard a lot of it. Really like the way you made the connection between the Police and Pinback. I've talked about it wrote about it and read about it, but hearing it is even better. Man, they were a hot band back in the day. I really need to get back into listening to some Police. I loved the debut and the next couple but then the overexposure took its toll on me. Glad there are bands out there that still appreciate how fresh that sound was at the time. The Arcade Fire song really goes with the flow too. Nice job!

Slosh
04-15-2005, 12:26 PM
You doofus! Hey, your new Guerillas in the Mix is outstanding! Been playing it a lot. Love some of the choices you made. Everything sounds so fresh, even though I've heard a lot of it. Really like the way you made the connection between the Police and Pinback. I've talked about it wrote about it and read about it, but hearing it is even better. Man, they were a hot band back in the day. I really need to get back into listening to some Police.
Thanks for the feedback on my halfa<a>ssed slop :) It was kinda my own personal CRS for the past couple of weeks. If I took some time with it "Lover's Rock" would have been axed. Sounds kinda forced in there with the surrounding songs, plus the goofy lyrics that never bothered me before since I usually only listen to that album once in a blue moon, now are getting on my nerves . . . big time. "Death or Glory" OTOH never gets old, even for those who f<a>uck nuns ;)

I got all of the proper Police (studio) albums on (single layer) SACD except for Zenyatta Mondatta 'cause I always thought that CD sounded pretty good and the other four albums I only ever had via cassette copies of LPs. Well, the SACDs do sound quite a bit better. Not mouth-agape sonics but definitely better than CD and I should probably snag that one before it becomes impossible to find new since it has alway been my favorite of theirs.

-Jar-
04-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Slosh.. got yer comp. It's good. And while I'm here, Davey, yes, I got the NO JOY and I did find some joy there. Cool cats.

-jar

NP Slowdive "Machine Gun" Dunno why they called this song "Machine Gun".. maybe it's a joke.

Ex Lion Tamer
04-15-2005, 05:58 PM
You doofus! Hey, your new Guerillas in the Mix is outstanding! Been playing it a lot. Love some of the choices you made. Everything sounds so fresh, even though I've heard a lot of it. Really like the way you made the connection between the Police and Pinback. I've talked about it wrote about it and read about it, but hearing it is even better. Man, they were a hot band back in the day. I really need to get back into listening to some Police. I loved the debut and the next couple but then the overexposure took its toll on me. Glad there are bands out there that still appreciate how fresh that sound was at the time. The Arcade Fire song really goes with the flow too. Nice job!

...and I like it too!

Thanks Slosh Man.