Perhaps someone can brief me on comps? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps someone can brief me on comps?

Kaboom
04-12-2005, 10:49 AM
how do these work? i've been hearing the term a lot around this forum lately and i though i knew what it meant, but someone just posted sth that made it seem really obvious that i was wrong.
so perhaps someone can teach me what they are, how they work?
cheers!

topspeed
04-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Huh? Are you sure you've got that term right? I've never heard of "comps."

Quagmire
04-12-2005, 03:29 PM
how do these work? i've been hearing the term a lot around this forum lately and i though i knew what it meant, but someone just posted sth that made it seem really obvious that i was wrong.
cheers!
"comps" is short for "compilation" as in a collection of music or songs which have been compiled or put together. So someone may put together a collection of music by a particular artist or genre or etc... Is this what you thought it was or otherwise?

Q

risabet
04-12-2005, 07:51 PM
cheers!

Comps? In the retail/music industry "comps" are complimentry items often givwe to salesmen etc, as rewards for high sales, etc. If thats what you mean by comps.

Kaboom
04-13-2005, 06:04 AM
"comps" is short for "compilation" as in a collection of music or songs which have been compiled or put together. So someone may put together a collection of music by a particular artist or genre or etc... Is this what you thought it was or otherwise?

Q

Yap! but i just thought that they were written lists of songs or music, but a couple of posts suggested they were actually burnt onto CD and circulated. Someone offered to pass me a couple of comps and somebody else wrote that he'd finally gotten a few CD-rs so that he could return some favours (implying comps)
Cheers!