Making up for lost bass [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Making up for lost bass

cctw
04-12-2005, 07:21 AM
I am ignorant when it comes to home audio, but I think I'm off to a good start. I have a
Harmon Kardon avr510 receiver with a pair of Yamaha ns1000m's that I bought from my
brother. They are old, but in excellent shape. They definitly show up bad recordings,
which kinda sucks. It's to the point where it's influencing the music I listen to. I do not
consider any kind of rap music, but the ns1000's have virtually no bottom end. My idea
to correct this is to buy the SVS CS Ultra tube sub and mono my Nad 218thx amp to it.
Is this a good idea or will I have some bass cancellation going on with this combo?
The gain will defenitly be turned down. What do you think?

Woochifer
04-12-2005, 01:55 PM
If you let your receiver handle the bass management, and connect the subwoofer output from the receiver to the NAD amp, then you should have no problems whatsoever. Bass wave cancellations are room induced effects, and those depend on the room dimensions, your seating position, and the subwoofer placement. The interaction between the two amps is irrelevant, and you should set the gain so that the levels on the sub properly match the main speakers.

Getting the bass to sound right depends on the setup, placement, and room acoustics. Those issues will crop up when you're ready to set the system up, so check around and read up on how to properly set the subwoofer up before the thing arrives. Properly setting the levels requires a test disc and a SPL meter, so you should look to acquire those items first. Any further tweaks to the room acoustics that might be necessary will depend on how it all sounds and measures when you get it into your room.