Picked up MB Quart QLS-830 at impulse [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Picked up MB Quart QLS-830 at impulse

m500
04-12-2005, 04:42 AM
Just wanted to update and share to everyone that help me out in the previous thread for the best music speaker under $500.00 I went down to an authorized dealer of NHT, PSB & MB Quart with the intention of getting a set of PSB imagine bookshelf but after I compare/listen to all of the speakers in the shown room, I'm just overwhelm by the MB Quart. They are just perfect to my taste. It's just what I have imagined of what a good music should be like and I just can not leave the place without getting a set for myself. Below is the list of speaker that I been struggle with before I pick up the perfect pair for me.

1) MB Quarts QLS-830
2) JBL S36AWII
3) B&W DM602 S3
4) Definitive Technology BP7006
5) Martin Logan Montage

vr6ofpain
04-12-2005, 11:04 PM
what did you pay?

I have a set of MB Quart QLC200's I got about ~6 years ago for the wholesale price of $200 for the pair. They retailed for $400 a pair I believe. I like the sound of them, though they are one of the few speakers I have found that sound noticeably worse (well, boring sounding) with the grilles on. I dont know if it is the fabric, or the wood frame of the grille, which round cut outs for the raw drivers. Either way, they still sound decent.

I don't think many people even know about MB Quart. They are much better known for their car audio products. I used to have a set of their PSC (which became the PSD, today who knows) line, 6.5" and 1" tweeter component set. Even with the tweeters at -6 dB (the lowest setting in the crossover) and mounted down low in my kick panels, for better stereo separation, they were bright as a motha.****a! Killed my ears. I replaced them with the smoothest sounded a/d/s components. I wish I still had that set. The tweeters were to die for. So gentle, so clean, so good! I watch a lot of a/d/s home speakers on ebay. I might pick up a set, to see if their home line(s) sound as good as that car audio component set did.

Luckly my MB Quart bookshelves I mentioned aren't as bright.....or the environment isn't so reflective/bright.

vr6ofpain
04-12-2005, 11:07 PM
this is what the QLC 200's I have look like, with the grill off ofcourse:

http://www.parts4vws.com/images/members/redventoglx/QLC200.JPG

N. Abstentia
04-13-2005, 04:23 AM
Two questions...

1) Is that picture of your left or right speaker?
2) Are the tweeter locations of both speakers the same?

Normally when the tweeters are offset from the woofers like that, the other speaker will be the opposite. Just make sure your tweeters are both on the 'outside' and not on the 'inside'. Does that make sense?

m500
04-13-2005, 04:30 AM
Here is what my New MB Quart look like. Its will be delivered this Friday. Can't wait to hook them up in my home to enjoy first very first hi-end audio speakers. For me at least.

http://www.yawaonline.com/miva/graphics/00000001/QL-S830%20big.jpg

toenail
04-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Two questions...

1) Is that picture of your left or right speaker?
2) Are the tweeter locations of both speakers the same?

Normally when the tweeters are offset from the woofers like that, the other speaker will be the opposite. Just make sure your tweeters are both on the 'outside' and not on the 'inside'. Does that make sense?

Curious to know why tweeter to the outside? FWIW I've seen speaker pairs that had offset tweeters that were offset to the same side, twice. They were 80's Advent (legacy or similar) and a pair of '01 or '02 Kenwood 3-way bookshelfs. I always thought it a little odd.

vr6ofpain
04-13-2005, 01:10 PM
That is the right speaker, but they are both the same. Identical, not mirror. So the tweeter is offset to the upper left of both speakers. Close up it seems to actually pull the image to the right, since the right speaker has the tweeter 'closer' (obviously inches here) to you than the left, but if you are sitting more than 1.5 meters away or so, you cannot tell. Plus this is mainly from the fact that my speakers are spaced only about ~4 feet from each other, which I believe is less than optimal.

matt39
04-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Those are some pretty sharp looking speakers m500. Which cabinet finish did you choose? Let us know how they sound after you've had them for a few days. It sounds to me like you pleased yourself with your choice and that's how it should be. Enjoy your speakers!

m500
04-15-2005, 04:38 AM
Matt39,
The finished I picked or I should said my wife picked is the "CHERRY" finished. Its a very classic finished. I think its very elegant.