want to build some speakers.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : want to build some speakers....

MomurdA
04-11-2005, 02:18 PM
hello all, I have been reading lots of this diy stuff lately, thinking about making a 3 way. I have seen many of you are using dayton 6.5 inch woofers and the 1 1/8 inch tweeter. Well, what about daytons midrange speaker part # 285-010. Anybody used it yet? I would like to use it and the woofer and tweeter together. I see they also sell prefab crossovers of varying frequencies. The midrange has a stated low range of 500 hz. Coincidentally(or not) one of their crossover's crossover pts is 500 hz for the midrange. Would this be ideal if using the 295-305 woofer, 285-010 midrange, and 275-070 tweeter? Also, what if i opted to use the 275-085 planar tweeter instead? How easy/difficult would it be to build these with a biwire/biamp capability?
Domo.

poneal
04-11-2005, 02:38 PM
I tried to do a three way using the PE crossovers and it was an utter failure. For a proven design using the midrange you are trying, go to speakerbuilder.net and look at the lyra or go to PE and look at Darren's Jubilees using a buyout Peerless midrange. Go with a proven design -- don't wing it. Learn from my mistakes.