DIY Sub first pictures! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DIY Sub first pictures!

hmmmm
04-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Hopefully I did this correctly...here is a link to my Dayton 15" sub project. I love this sub!
http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=850&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=all&page=1
http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=851&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=all&page=1

poneal
04-11-2005, 02:43 PM
I especially like the way you sloped the grill. Nice spikes too (from PE I gather) since I have some too. Did you build the monitors also? Again, well done.

hmmmm
04-11-2005, 03:26 PM
I especially like the way you sloped the grill. Nice spikes too (from PE I gather) since I have some too. Did you build the monitors also? Again, well done.

Thanks so much Poneal. I went to your site probably 20 times to look at your project. The spikes are from PE. I was going to put a set on top also (without the spike) to set the glass on but decided not to spend the extra 20.00:) I didn't build the monitors...they're Cambridge Soundworks M60's which I'm pretty satisfied with. Don't get me wrong though, I will build my entire system, eventually. This is too much fun. I did build the speaker stands though for the front three.
So far in my room I've made an exit sign,
the riser for the second row,
wrapped acoustical tiles for the ceiling- that took forever,
built the hanging system for the curtains so I could hide bass traps in the corners,
Built a coffee table,
framed all of the pictures and painted one of them,
customized the t.v.stands
Oh yeah, my brother and I did all of the drywalling and painting (the least favorite thing to do)
I'm pretty happy with it all. My wife is tired of it! Although she loves it when our friends come over for movies and games. I want to build a bar behind the second row of seats next.
http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=853&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=2&page=

kexodusc
04-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Hmmmm: that is a wicked looking sub. Way to go!!! Nice job.

What is that little dude with the sax on top of it? I like it!

I'm totally jealous of your HT setup. I won't post a picture of my room (under major renovations at the house...).

We'll have to swap the M60's with some ar.com's or the Dayton Euro's...I've got a few Vifa projects that might be up your alley, too. We could set you up with much nicer system, custom built by you of course, for the money you make pawning the M60's on ebay...Seriously, we've got to get rid of them...tell your wife to get her priorities straight...Join the dark side...
(should have warned you, this gets dreadfully addictive).

hmmmm
04-12-2005, 05:35 AM
Hmmmm: that is a wicked looking sub. Way to go!!! Nice job.

What is that little dude with the sax on top of it? I like it!

I'm totally jealous of your HT setup. I won't post a picture of my room (under major renovations at the house...).

We'll have to swap the M60's with some ar.com's or the Dayton Euro's...I've got a few Vifa projects that might be up your alley, too. We could set you up with much nicer system, custom built by you of course, for the money you make pawning the M60's on ebay...Seriously, we've got to get rid of them...tell your wife to get her priorities straight...Join the dark side...
(should have warned you, this gets dreadfully addictive).

Thanks Kexodusc! The Saxophone player is a sculpture made by an artist I represent at my gallery. He makes some pretty cool things out of junk. He has an awesome guitar player also. I played sax for about 12 years and when I saw this one, I had to get it. I started collecting "musical" art for this room.
I'll definately build some new speakers but just this morning my wife asked me to take a break for awhile. We'll be going on vacation and have quite a few things planned over the next few months so I'll probably wait till fall. She wants me to put crown moulding up in a couple of rooms and a bunch of things like that...boring! Let me know when your room is done. I'm sure I'll always keep doing something to mine. I have to sell my HSU VTF-2 now to cover my costs and prove to her this isn't an expensive hobby. YEAH RIGHT!

kexodusc
04-12-2005, 09:35 AM
You should post a review comparing the VTF-2 to the Quatro...Tell us what you like and don't like about each, which you prefer etc...if my suspicions are right, you'll encourage more people on the fence to dive into this DIY stuff.

Aric M L
04-12-2005, 12:31 PM
I am totally impressed with that sweet set up you have. Not only does it show you have good taste in gear, but class too. I one day hope that I can muster a set up as nice.

hmmmm
04-12-2005, 02:54 PM
You should post a review comparing the VTF-2 to the Quatro...Tell us what you like and don't like about each, which you prefer etc...if my suspicions are right, you'll encourage more people on the fence to dive into this DIY stuff.

Well, I really liked my Hsu VTF-2 but thought it was a little small for my room. To their credit, they said the VTF-3 would be a better fit. I had a problem with "boominess" when playing certain movies. I installed bass traps and that helped some but their is no doubt that the DIY sub sounds better for both music and movies. I highly recommend HSU but if someone has the time and wants to save a lot of money, you can't beat the DIY way.
I'll finish this later...

kexodusc
04-13-2005, 10:42 AM
I'd look forward to hearing the rest of this.

Plate amp arrives tomorrow...and I'm out this weekend :( DOH!

Hope to have it finished the following weekend though...I'll have to do it in the dark cherry finish my mains are done in, that'll take a few overnights. Thinking about some grill ideas...did you have any close 2nds? I was thining of a straight top, straight sides, and arched bottom, just to spiff it up a bit...we'll see...

hmmmm
04-13-2005, 04:09 PM
I'd look forward to hearing the rest of this.

Plate amp arrives tomorrow...and I'm out this weekend :( DOH!

Hope to have it finished the following weekend though...I'll have to do it in the dark cherry finish my mains are done in, that'll take a few overnights. Thinking about some grill ideas...did you have any close 2nds? I was thining of a straight top, straight sides, and arched bottom, just to spiff it up a bit...we'll see...

I kind of liked the look of an arched top and flat bottom. You could also get a plate that is arched in the same way...at least I like the plate idea for that finishing touch. An arched top would be more of a classic look with the flat bottom looking like a "stable base." Reversed, it would be more dramatic.

kexodusc
04-13-2005, 05:23 PM
You have a knack for these things...me, I scribble them on paper and go with a gut feeling. Then I inevitably end up building new grills to replace the ones I realize I don't like.

THe good news about the arched grill...I should be able to flip it upside down and try both. I think I'll go with that...I'll have to be careful though, I use magnets, countersunk under the veneer and in the grill for a clean seamless, pegless look...but if I'm off by a bit this heavy grill might not hold...

Sell your sub yet?

hmmmm
04-13-2005, 06:46 PM
You have a knack for these things...me, I scribble them on paper and go with a gut feeling. Then I inevitably end up building new grills to replace the ones I realize I don't like.

THe good news about the arched grill...I should be able to flip it upside down and try both. I think I'll go with that...I'll have to be careful though, I use magnets, countersunk under the veneer and in the grill for a clean seamless, pegless look...but if I'm off by a bit this heavy grill might not hold...

Sell your sub yet?

Well, I spend my days designing things:) I've taken a lot of design courses. It's the technical things that throw me for a loop.
My neighbor just told me he wants to buy the sub. He wants to hear it one more time but was impressed awhile ago with the entire setup. He's going to up me one with his home theater room and have a company come in and do everything for him with a 10 foot screen. At least my sub will be better!

ec1288
04-14-2005, 05:16 AM
Hopefully I did this correctly...here is a link to my Dayton 15" sub project. I love this sub!
http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=850&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=all&page=1
http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=851&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=all&page=1

Great Sub! Mine was a pair of DIY NHT 1259 tower with a pair of DIY Genesis ribbon speakers that I built a couple of year back.
Check this out at my web site at :-

http://www.geocities.com/ec1288/index.html

My other DIY projects include :-
Audio Note Ongaku
Altec Lansing A5 Voice Of The Theatre
Pass Labs Aleph 5

Regards,
ec1288