It's not working....Why? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : It's not working....Why?

Rude-e
04-11-2005, 12:38 PM
OK - I finally bought component cables from Blue jeans and a digital audio cable.

Equip.- Yamaha 5650 reciever and Sony DVD 5 disc player

I ran one set from DVD player to Reciever than the other set to the TV.
I ran the Digital audio from the DVD player to the Reciever.(on the reciever it is labeled as the CD audio input - the DVD audio input is Optical)

This would not work at all - I even changed the settings on the DVD player to recognize DTS, and nothing.

I played with it for so long, i got tired and finally went back to composite and it worked perfectly.

Anyone that could help me?....Thanks

Beckman
04-11-2005, 01:48 PM
I ran the Digital audio from the DVD player to the Reciever.(on the reciever it is labeled as the CD audio input - the DVD audio input is Optical)

This would not work at all - I even changed the settings on the DVD player to recognize DTS, and nothing.

So your reciever has three optical and one coaxial digital input. You should be able to assign the coaxial digital input to the DVD mode. So when you press DVD on the receiver's remote the Reciever knows where to get the sound from. One thing you could try is changing the mode while the DVD player is playing a movie. If the sound comes on while the reciever is in a different mode (ex. CD mode), then you know the problem is with the recievers setup. see:
page 26
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/manuals/PDFs/HTR56505640_e.pdf

hermanv
05-02-2005, 10:14 AM
This may or may not apply in your case.

I have a NAD receiver. I use component video to connect to the TV. For my receiver the on screen help only appears on the composite and "S" video connectors . (Thanks NAD)

So I have a composite video connection that I use only during receiver set up. If my TV is set to component input the screen stays blank while I run through all the receiver set-up options

And no, it wasn't obvious from the start. This took me quite a while to discover.

JBMAudio.com
05-24-2005, 05:52 PM
OK - I finally bought component cables from Blue jeans and a digital audio cable.

Equip.- Yamaha 5650 reciever and Sony DVD 5 disc player

I ran one set from DVD player to Reciever than the other set to the TV.

I played with it for so long, i got tired and finally went back to composite and it worked perfectly.

Anyone that could help me?....Thanks

It sounds to me that you have select the audio and video somewhere in your receiver. i would recommend running the component video from your DVD directly to your TV. And as for the audio, with the video going directly to the tv, you should need to select CD on your receiver and make sure it is looking for a digital signal and not an analog and you should good to go