Air Vents on Receivers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Air Vents on Receivers

hershon
04-10-2005, 12:30 AM
Right now, for space and aesthetic reasons, I have my DVD player on top of my Denon Receiver and thus its on top & blocking most of the Denon's air vents. Will this cause any harm to either system in the long run and/or affect performance?

Eric Z
04-10-2005, 05:00 AM
I asked my local electronics store technician this same question- he said that there should be at last a 2-3 inch clearance on top of the receiver and a couple inches on each side. He also recommended an open back on the entertainment center- I had to cut the back out of my entertainment center anyway because my Yamaha is so darn big.

He also said one of the biggest things he takes care of repair wise is overheating of audio components.

I've heard of some people even installing small computer fans to help cool their receivers- especially if you run them very hard.

shokhead
04-10-2005, 05:15 AM
Never put anything on top of your reciever. Z is right about at least 3 inches. The new denons run abit cooler then the older ones but i've never needed a fan.

kexodusc
04-10-2005, 06:20 AM
The more space the better, I wouldn't go any less than 2 inches. You risk damaging both your receiver AND your DVD player...your receiver is essentially cooking the DVD player.

hershon
04-10-2005, 06:34 AM
Thanks, I'm somehow going to see if I can get a top TV stand or something that I know Brookstone sells. Problem is all this stuff is on top of my 48" projector TV and there is no space to put it next to the receiver.

The more space the better, I wouldn't go any less than 2 inches. You risk damaging both your receiver AND your DVD player...your receiver is essentially cooking the DVD player.

paul_pci
04-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks, I'm somehow going to see if I can get a top TV stand or something that I know Brookstone sells. Problem is all this stuff is on top of my 48" projector TV and there is no space to put it next to the receiver.

Everybody now: "Get an audio rack."

s dog
04-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Right now, for space and aesthetic reasons, I have my DVD player on top of my Denon Receiver and thus its on top & blocking most of the Denon's air vents. Will this cause any harm to either system in the long run and/or affect performance?
Audio Advisor has a nice audio rack for $150.00 it has 4 shelves ,this might work for you. www.audioadvisor.com, good luck

N. Abstentia
04-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Nah, the heat vents are just there for looks. Cover them up. While you're at it, plug the exaust pipe on your car..it's just for looks also. Plus it will make your car run better!

NO I'm just kidding! Dang...he's already run outside with a rag and a stick. Oh well :)

I'm just giving you a hard time man, definitely don't put anything on top of your receiver. Definitely get an audio rack!

hershon
04-11-2005, 11:25 AM
I'm not disagreeing that airvents aren't there for a purpose & I'm probably going to follow advice here, but has anyone ever really experienced their receiver or DVD player destroyed because the vents were partially blocked?

shokhead
04-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Play your reciever for a couple of hours and then put your hand on top of it. That should answer your question. Heat isnt good for most electronic's longer lifespan. Some have builtin fans.

kfalls
04-11-2005, 12:33 PM
You didn't say what model receiver you have, but several Denons have fans for disipating the heat, some variable speed. Also most audio equipment, players and receivers, have feet allowing some clearance and air to flow underneath. Unless you're really cranking the receiver producing a lot of heat, or there's no space between the player and the receiver, I don't see a problem for general listening. Any good engineer would design a little extra into the designs to allow for non-ideal situations. I would however, keep the door to the cabinet open. A little common sense would go a long way here. If you can touch the top of the receiver and it's hot, most definitely allow for better air flow, if only warm chances are you can get by in your current configuration.

shokhead
04-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Denons run hot.

hershon
04-11-2005, 12:57 PM
I have the Denon 3801 and yes there is about 3/8" or so of feet on my DVD player on top of it.

You didn't say what model receiver you have, but several Denons have fans for disipating the heat, some variable speed. Also most audio equipment, players and receivers, have feet allowing some clearance and air to flow underneath. Unless you're really cranking the receiver producing a lot of heat, or there's no space between the player and the receiver, I don't see a problem for general listening. Any good engineer would design a little extra into the designs to allow for non-ideal situations. I would however, keep the door to the cabinet open. A little common sense would go a long way here. If you can touch the top of the receiver and it's hot, most definitely allow for better air flow, if only warm chances are you can get by in your current configuration.

newbsterv2
04-11-2005, 01:10 PM
All I have to say is DON'T set your system up like I have it set up. See picture :)

hershon
04-11-2005, 02:21 PM
All I have to say is DON'T set your system up like I have it set up. See picture :)

I have the DVD player exactly above the receiver where you have yours only my receiver is on the top of my 48" TV. The HD DVR is to the left of it and there simply isn't any more room to put everything side by side. What is the object to your left (to the right of your left speaker), Robby the Robot or some Easter Island artifact?

anamorphic96
04-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Could you put your DVD player under the DVR ?

MomurdA
04-11-2005, 02:27 PM
my marantz was running hot, so i went on ebay and some guy was selling fans that he made himself. I probably could have made them, but i ordered them from him. I would have to guess it is at least a 30 degree difference with the fans on there than without.

hershon
04-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Could you put your DVD player under the DVR ?

I don't know if you're being sarcastic but the DVR (which also has vents) weighs a ton and I think the weight would damagew the DVD player.

anamorphic96
04-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Sorry it was just a suggestion. I was not aware DVR's weighed that much. Bad idea then.

Boltergeist
04-11-2005, 03:54 PM
I just had newspaper over the digital cable receiver (from the cable co) when painting the room. The unit went into protection and shut down. It took me a while to figure out what happened. And that unit does not generate nearly the heat of my a/v receiver.

Eric Z
04-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Back in college, I had a CD player with about 3/8" feet on top of my older Sony receiver. I left it on for about 20 hours one day playing at a very low volume and awoke to the fire alarm and some smoke in my room. The darn thing started smoking like crazy. However, once I turned it off and let it cool for a few hours, it worked fine- however, it still smelled funny once in a while.

I wouldn't want to take another chance like that.

Are you that limited by space where you can't erect some type of audio rack?

hershon
04-11-2005, 05:04 PM
Are you that limited by space where you can't erect some type of audio rack?[/QUOTE]

No it's that that aesthetically, I like a hi tech minimalist look (See bad cel phone photo) & that's why I have all the stuff on top of the TV (My current receiver & DVD player on not in he photo) and I'd prefer not having to put an audio rack by my TV for all of 1 to 3 items.

paul_pci
04-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Screw aesthetics!! Damage free electronics is far more important.

Eric Z
04-12-2005, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the photo, Hershon! It definitely helps to see a picture.

IMO, I think an audio rack directly to the left of your TV would look pretty darn good- especially if you get a decent looking one. And having 3 components on an rack is perfectly fine- it will look very clean and organized (going with your minimalist look). Then it will make the top of your TV look 'cleaner,' too.

Also, it's much better to be safe than sorry when you're dealing with electronics. Your receiver and DVD player may be fine stacked on top of each other, but why take a chance? I agree with Paul!

N. Abstentia
04-12-2005, 06:49 AM
You definitely need a rack. I know that Denon is not light, you're going to destroy your TV if you keep stacking sh!t on top of it!

If you don't get a rack, you'll be awakened one night by a huge crash only to stumble into the living room to see the whole system lying on the floor, totally ruined.

Get a rack.

Actually I'd move the TV over about 2 feet and get rid of those Orb's! Put some nice towers on either side of the TV and a nice center on the TV, talk about a 1 million times improvement!

Eric Z
04-12-2005, 07:59 AM
Then put the receiver on top of one of the new towers, haha!!!!

hershon
04-12-2005, 08:02 AM
I'm getting rid of my Orbs today. April fools. Seriously, looks like I'm probably going to get a stand alone rack (furniture) as I put my hand over the Denon and admit it was pretty hot. I don't think the weight of anything on top of my 48" Mitsubishi is going to cause any damage though as the thing is pretty strong.

QUOTE=Eric Z]Thanks for the photo, Hershon! It definitely helps to see a picture.

IMO, I think an audio rack directly to the left of your TV would look pretty darn good- especially if you get a decent looking one. And having 3 components on an rack is perfectly fine- it will look very clean and organized (going with your minimalist look). Then it will make the top of your TV look 'cleaner,' too.

Also, it's much better to be safe than sorry when you're dealing with electronics. Your receiver and DVD player may be fine stacked on top of each other, but why take a chance? I agree with Paul![/QUOTE]

shokhead
04-12-2005, 08:06 AM
Getting rid of your orbs? I almost fell out of my chair. How would i explain that,i'm at work. :eek:

MCF
04-12-2005, 09:26 AM
I know we have had our disagreements, but I have to concur...I think moving the tv over to the left a little and putting a nice rack would look nice and very minimalistic (I like that look also (didn't know that until fiance made me hide everything)...I have mine with no wires showing and no components...all tucked away in a cabinet..all you can see is the tv and even my bookshelf speaker are hid away). Adding a nice black center channel on top looks good also and would greatly improve overall sound quality...just my $0.02....

paul_pci
04-12-2005, 11:23 AM
You definitely need a rack. I know that Denon is not light, you're going to destroy your TV if you keep stacking sh!t on top of it!

If you don't get a rack, you'll be awakened one night by a huge crash only to stumble into the living room to see the whole system lying on the floor, totally ruined.

Get a rack.

Actually I'd move the TV over about 2 feet and get rid of those Orb's! Put some nice towers on either side of the TV and a nice center on the TV, talk about a 1 million times improvement!

Here we go again. Now you're going to get banned for suggesting an overthrow of the Orbs. But in all sincereity, I've had discussions with Hershon about just that proposal and he's concerned with the neighbor factor, which I think is legitimate.

hershon
04-12-2005, 03:43 PM
I hereby take you off my enemies list.Mistah Leaf is currently the only one on it.

I know we have had our disagreements, but I have to concur...I think moving the tv over to the left a little and putting a nice rack would look nice and very minimalistic (I like that look also (didn't know that until fiance made me hide everything)...I have mine with no wires showing and no components...all tucked away in a cabinet..all you can see is the tv and even my bookshelf speaker are hid away). Adding a nice black center channel on top looks good also and would greatly improve overall sound quality...just my $0.02....

shokhead
04-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Now i'm getting tear :p y eyed,stop it.

paul_pci
04-12-2005, 04:28 PM
I hereby take you off my enemies list.Mistah Leaf is currently the only one on it.

And the both of you can beat him with a sack full of analog cables!

Luzmirr
02-25-2024, 08:07 AM
Fire monitoring systems and fire alarm control system (https://www.controlfiresystems.com/products/fire-alarm-panels/) are scalable to suit properties of different sizes. Whether it's a small apartment or a large industrial facility, these systems can be customized to provide optimal coverage. This scalability makes them adaptable to various environments and ensures tailored fire protection solutions.

Dilitor
02-27-2024, 06:12 AM
Ajax fire detection (https://ajax.systems/catalogue/baseline-fire-detection/) seamlessly integrate into the fabric of smart homes. This integration enables coordination with other smart devices, enhancing overall home automation. From triggering lights and sirens to sending real-time alerts to smartphones, Ajax ensures that its fire alarm systems play a vital role in comprehensive home security.