Bias adjustment in an amp....need advice from the techs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bias adjustment in an amp....need advice from the techs

Audioman00
04-08-2005, 06:40 PM
I have an older model Yamaha receiver (one of the better ones) and I noticed a couple of little riostats or potentiometers right next to the output transistors (seems to be one for every channel) and wondered if this is the bias adjustment? or maybe a gain level? I dunno, I was hoping to catch a tech on this site and find out if it can be beneficial to adjust these in any way. Thanks for any advice!

JoeE SP9
04-09-2005, 08:45 PM
They are probably level controls. Bias on solid state gear is usually not adjustable. On tube amps it is almost a requirement. When output tubes are replaced the bias is adjusted to provide equal current flow through the tube pairs.

poneal
04-11-2005, 02:46 PM
There are quite a few EEs that frequent the site and will be able to provide you with more info. Regards, Paul.

Jace
04-11-2005, 07:45 PM
without looking at the circuit, i couldnt tell you. it could be a great many things. what model of receiver is it?

-Jace

Beckman
04-13-2005, 01:13 PM
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/bias_e.html

dave_bullet
04-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Try post at
www.audiokarma.org

The people there will almost certainly recommend you get a service manual rather than play... but there is a vintage Yamaha following there - if your amp is in that league there might be someone who can give you instructions.

I wouldn't recommend you play and see how it goes - you're likely to make it worse without a service manual.

David.

Audioman00
12-02-2009, 09:27 AM
I blew it up shortly after posting this....ha ha... I decided to turn the bias all the way up while it was on..lmao and BANG!! dead yamaha... man I was dumb