MD/CD-R outs double as pre-amp outs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MD/CD-R outs double as pre-amp outs?

toenail
04-08-2005, 01:25 PM
I have a Yamaha RX-V450 with outs for MD/CD-R. Can this signal out be used for an external pre amp/amp combo?

kexodusc
04-09-2005, 03:45 AM
Not exactly...using MD/CD-R out would be like plugging the source player directly into the pre-amp...the volume (gain) has no impact on this output.
Pre-outs do respond to the volume, so you can connect the receiver directly to an amp.

I do think you could connect the receiver to an integrated or pre-amp through the MD/CD-R outs however, sort of like splicing the source player signal to two different components. Never really though of this kind of setup before.

toenail
04-09-2005, 05:02 AM
Here's my thinking. I'd like to run my tube amp from the same CD source which passes through my receiver. My receiver has no pre-outs. If I use the signal from the MD/CD-R outs and feed my Carver pre amp with this signal and in turn pass this along to my Dynaco tube amp, it seems like it would work. My concerns are whether the signal level is sufficient and whether there will be a significant degradation in sound quality passing through this circuit.

kexodusc
04-11-2005, 03:52 AM
I'm guessing right off the bat the receiver's pre-amp section is the weak link...the rest of the signal runs through a fair amount of circuitry, but there shouldn't be much degradation.
The sound likely won't be any better than the signal the receiver passes, but you should be able to pull this off.
I'm just trying to think of WHY you'd go through so much trouble?

toenail
04-12-2005, 01:12 AM
Curious to hear the difference between Yamaha solid state and Dynaco tube. Kind of tough with only one source and would require swapping RCA's. Using pre-outs would solve this problem. I'd still have to change speaker wires each time but this is far easier for me than changing RCA's.

JoeE SP9
04-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Curious to hear the difference between Yamaha solid state and Dynaco tube. Kind of tough with only one source and would require swapping RCA's. Using pre-outs would solve this problem. I'd still have to change speaker wires each time but this is far easier for me than changing RCA's.
Although my Dyna Mk3's have only the transformers and output tubes in common with their stock brothers (cousins?) they sound more like ARC or CJ than the modified Haffler and Adcom amps I have on hand. I can't comment on Yamaha as I have never owned a receiver. All modifications done on my amps were done by myself. For the DIY guys who are building tubes try baking the output transformers in a 250F oven for a couple of hours. This simulates and accelerates the aging process. Older transformers according to some sound better. Instant aging may help.