Best Bang for the Buck Speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Bang for the Buck Speakers?

topspeed
04-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Over in the HT forum we're discussing the most "overrated" speakers so why not discuss the most underrated? This can be a thread we can all point newbies to when they ask the oft-posted query: "What is the best speaker for X dollars?"

Here's the rules:
1) Price limit $2,000/pair. This seems to be a reasonable ceiling for most.
2) New only. If we consider used, we'll be here all day. Street price is fine, as long as you can substantiate an over $2K speaker selling for less than $2K. No guessing.
3) Have fun!

__________________________________________________ __________________

My list includes but is not limited to:
1) Von Schweikert VR1 and VR2 (betcha didn't see that one coming ;))
2) Maggie MMG (for $500, how can you really go wrong?)
3) Paradigm 20v3 (boy, that's a terrific little speaker)
4) EFE AR.com DIY (never heard it, but I trust Kex's ears and Ed's clearly knows what he's doing)
5) Epos ELS3 (very accurate although completely lacking in the bottom octaves)

bwithers
04-08-2005, 12:35 PM
1) Paradigm monitor 7's
2) Paradigm reference 40's

AVMASTER
04-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Wharfdale Diamond 9.6, at $700. pair the" looks" alone would make a newbie proud.
Can we include in-wall/ in-ceiling? Sub/sat ?

topspeed
04-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Wharfdale Diamond 9.6, at $700. pair the" looks" alone would make a newbie proud.
Can we include in-wall/ in-ceiling? Sub/sat ?
Anything that you feel offers exceptional value. Bring it on!

poneal
04-08-2005, 03:19 PM
http://home.stx.rr.com/poneal/word_docs/AP130ZO.doc

IMHO, this is the best set I have built to date and while you will need a sub the midrange and treble are just outstanding.

poneal
04-08-2005, 03:20 PM
If you don't mind building some boxes...

Feanor
04-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Over in the HT forum we're discussing the most "overrated" speakers so why not discuss the most underrated? This can be a thread we can all point newbies to when they ask the oft-posted query: "What is the best speaker for X dollars?"

Here's the rules:
2) New only. If we consider used, we'll be here all day. Street price is fine, as long as you can substantiate an over $2K speaker selling for less than $2K. No guessing.
3) Have fun!

OK, sure, I'm bias. And I totally agree that the MMGs are huge bargain; maybe the biggest in hi-fi. They're what got me into Magneplanars.

But there are several other Magneplanars under $2k/pair. Two are:

MG 12, about US$1200
MG 1.6, about US$1900. These are what I now own.
TAS says they are both "best buys" in their price categories, and I'm inclined to agree.

If your listening room won't accomodate these dipole planars, or if you're a hard rocker, you might need something different. I say that great, widely available speakers are:

Paradigm Studio 60 V.3, about (?) $1700.
Paradigm Studio 100 V.3, list $2200 roughly, but maybe you could swing a deal.

Geoffcin
04-08-2005, 03:54 PM

Here's the rules:
3) Have fun!

In the $1000-$2000 range for me has to be the Magnepan 1.6qr. I can't say enough about this speaker; I would have bought it save for making the mistake of auditioning the Magnepan 3.6r.

$500-$1000 The Magnepan MMG. I know, but I'm not just touting Maggies here! This speaker has audiophile quality sound in everything except bass, and maximum dynamics.

Under $500. Cambridge Soundworks M80. This speaker brings back the "good old times" for me. I'm a sucker for the New England sound. Give me a large acoustic suspension bookshelf speaker like a vintage KLH or Advent, and I'm a happy guy. The M80 is better than these classics in many ways. It's got a smoother response, a better tweeter, and the 10 year warrantee is pretty darn good too. If your looking at something from BetsyBuy/Circus City I would STOP NOW, and check a pair of these out first.

Woochifer
04-08-2005, 03:55 PM
ts -

Good topic! Most of the speakers that I've listened to in recent years have been under $1,000 because that was my price point.

Right now, I would put the Paradigm Studio 20 up there on the bang for the buck list. Wonderfully versatile and confident sounding speaker with some of the best imaging I've heard outside of planar and stat speakers, and without their other drawbacks. It doesn't do the lower octave, and it doesn't try to, which is a good thing beause it does well with just about everything else. At $800 a pair, it begs for consideration on most people's lists. The v.3 version is a clear step up from the v.2 models that I have in my surround setup.

I would put the B&W DM602 up there as well. At $600, it's a great all-around speaker with no major faults.

Even though you and I agree that it's not a personal favorite, I would also add the Vandersteen 2ce to the list. It's not everybody's cup of tea for sure (I don't know of any speaker out there that polarizes people as much as the Vandys do), but it does specific things exceptionally such that I think it's at least worth a listen.

If the Maggie MMG sounds anything like the big brother model 1.6, then $500 is a steal for those speakers. Again, this is one of those subjective deals where you have to like the type of sound that the Maggies deliver and have enough oomph in the amp to make 'em go.

Another biased selection here :) -- I would also add the Adire Rava subwoofer to any list of bang-for-the-buck speakers. This sub costs barely more than the cost of parts for a DIY project, yet it comes fully assembled with a veneered oak cabinet. After rearranging my room, I remeasured and EQ'd the subwoofer last night -- still flat down to 25 Hz and about -3db at 22 Hz. At $400, you can buy a $1,500 speaker, add the sub, and still have change leftover.

I'll have to get around to trying out the Von Schweikerts because they definitely seem like a great all around value contender.

drseid
04-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Under 2K I would have to say the Ellis 1801Bs at about $1200/pr. would be my pick...

The driver costs alone for the Ellis ends up being over 50% of the price of the speaker (before adding cabinet and crossover component cost)... I believe the wait list is up to almost a year for these build to order speakers, and based on value, I can see why...

Others that I would give "honorable mentions" include the Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor at $1600 pair with a similar driver cost % ratio as the 1801Bs, but not quite.

...And the Consonance Eric-1s... I don't know what the driver cost % ratio is, but at under 1K these are a steal based on sound!

---Dave

topspeed
04-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Paul,
Those DIY's are slick! I used to run Morel soft dome mid/tweets in my car back in the day and they were so sweet and smooth I just loved 'em! It sounds like their home speakers carry over that fine tradition.

Geoff,
How did I leave off CSW???:rolleyes: I actually meant to put them on the list when the topic first occurred to me but obviously forgot to include them. Thanks for reminding me!

Wooch,
Good point w/ the Vandy's. Whether or not we like them, with that rabid of a following, Richard must be doing something right, huh?

I also like your inclusion of a sub, so let's open up this discussion to sub recommendations as well.:)

Terrific recommendations guys, keep 'em coming!

topspeed
04-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Under 2K I would have to say the Ellis 1801Bs at about $1200/pr. would be my pick...

The driver costs alone for the Ellis ends up being over 50% of the price of the speaker (before adding cabinet and crossover component cost)... I believe the wait list is up to almost a year for these build to order speakers, and based on value, I can see why...

Others that I would give "honorable mentions" include the Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor at $1600 pair with a similar driver cost % ratio as the 1801Bs, but not quite.

...And the Consonance Eric-1s... I don't know what the driver cost % ratio is, but at under 1K these are a steal based on sound!

---Dave

Dave, outside of the Tyler's I have to admit I've never heard or even heard of the Ellis or Consonance. Do you have links for those of us that are less enlightened?

RGA
04-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Personal choices - my choice within the sub group is bolded. Second Choice is italicized - in order of preference: All I'd recommend though.

$1k - $2K (SM - Standmount --- FL - Floorstander)

Audio Note E-kit (Similar to E/D) $1750.00Cdn (SM)
Audio Note AN K/LX $1,950.00US (SM)
(PMC TB2 is $1750.00Cdn and the version I heard would make this list -- the new version has a new tweeter which may be better so this is a caveat) (SM)
Dynaudio A52 ~$1500.00Cdn (SM)
Gershman Acoustics X1 $1600.00Cdn (SM)
Energy C9 $1198.00Cdn (FL)
B&W 604S3 $2000.00Cdn (FL)
B&W 603S3 $1500.00Cdn (FL)

$500 - $999.00

Audio Note AX Two $549.00US (SM)
Dynaudio A42 $900.00Cdn (SM)
B&W 602S3 $600.00US (SM)
Energy C5 $650.00 (FL)
Totem Rainmaker $950.00 (SM)

$0 - $499
TIE

Athena Technologies AS-F1 $450.00Cdn (FL)
Klipsch RF-35 $450.00CDn (FL)
Paradigm Monitor 3 $299Cdn (SM)
Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 and 8.2 $299 and ~$400Cdn (SM)
B&W DM 303 $450.00Cdn (SM)
Paradigm Atom $160.00Cdn (SM)
Energy C3 $499.00Cdn (SM)
KEF Q1 ($350.00Cdn) (SM)

Jamo makes a nice one but I don't recall the model number as does Boston Acoustics.

poneal
04-08-2005, 05:26 PM
I've heard really good things about the Dayton DVC but it costs double the price of the Quattro. This outperformed my Titanic MKII and is an easier load to drive and has a higer SPL. Here ya go.

http://home.stx.rr.com/poneal/word_docs/Quattro15.doc

Enjoy....

jasmit
04-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Ditto on the Paradigm Reference Studio 20's. They compete with speakers twice their price. Don't believe me? Visit a dealer who sells both Paradigm and B&W. Their sales people will A/B the Studio 20's against B&W 705's; not against the 602 S3's.

RGA
04-08-2005, 06:09 PM
jasmit

I am in the camp that thinks the 602 is better than the 705 -- just because something is more expensive does not make it better. Though certainly you are getting a nicer looking speaker in the 705 (Remember the CM series it was a nicer looking more expensive but not as good sounding as the 600 Series). Interestingly, the 600Series is longer in the tooth than all the others and maybe the best speaker per bang per buck they make -- it is their bread and butter line.

I preferred the B&W 604S3 over the new Studio 100V3 -- the 604 is about 2/3 the price too...also the Energy C9 is a mere $1200.00(Canadian) and this speaker is good in that it hangs in with both speakers(to me no worse) and is about half the price of the B&W and 1/3 the price of the 100V3. The enrgy isn't constructed as well form what I can see though.

You may not have the same preferences of course but it seems Energy is working to try a bit harder as they have a rung down on the name department.

jasmit
04-08-2005, 06:20 PM
I agree that more expensive doesn't always equal better. That being said, to me the 705 does sound better than the 602.

In my limited experience with audio equipment, I find that as the gear gets more expensive, you begin to reach a point of diminishing returns. To me, the 705's sounded better than the Studio 20's, but not "twice as better;" only slightly better. To my way of thinking, that made the Studio 20's one hell of a bargain.

Florian
04-08-2005, 11:15 PM
I will add my personals steals here too

1. Apogee Stage for 900$ (needs real equipment)
2. Apogee Caliper Signature 600$ (needs real equipment)
3. Magnepan MMG (does not need high power, but loves current)
4. Magnepan MG12 (does not need high power, but loves current)
5. VMPS 626 1600$ + options
6.Magnepan MG1.6 (does not need high power, but loves current)

-Flo

shokhead
04-09-2005, 05:24 AM
Wish i would have thought of this.
Axiom's M22ti's for under 500 bucks apair are pretty nice for the price. And seeing as it is a speaker,SVS 25-31pci sub for $549.

drseid
04-09-2005, 06:35 AM
Dave, outside of the Tyler's I have to admit I've never heard or even heard of the Ellis or Consonance. Do you have links for those of us that are less enlightened?

Sure thing Top...

The link to the Ellis speakers is http://www.ellisaudio.com (looks like he raised his price to $1500/pr., but that still is a steal), and the link to Consonance (made by Opera Audio)is http://www.operaudio.com .

---Dave

shokhead
04-09-2005, 07:56 AM
Its starting to look like most of the best bang for your buck are owned my you guys. Odd,so many wise shoppers.

Feanor
04-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Personal choices - my choice within the sub group is bolded. Second Choice is italicized - in order of preference: All I'd recommend though.....
Proves once again that you're one of the "equipment listeningest" people around. Wish I had the time.

Beckman
04-09-2005, 09:31 AM
You can by a used pair of Infinities for pretty cheap on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61376&item=5763498552&rd=1

topspeed
04-09-2005, 09:58 AM
I will add my personals steals here too

1. Apogee Stage for 900$ (needs real equipment)
2. Apogee Caliper Signature 600$ (needs real equipment)
3. Magnepan MMG (does not need high power, but loves current)
4. Magnepan MG12 (does not need high power, but loves current)
5. VMPS 626 1600$ + options
6.Magnepan MG1.6 (does not need high power, but loves current)

-Flo
Uhhh...I thought Apogee was out of business? Have they been resurrected?

Jasmit,
Most people compare the Studio's with the 700's. FWIW, I agree that that the 20v3 is a better speaker than the 705, but then I don't particularly care for the 700's at all, and I'm a B&W owner!

Shokhead,
Of course people are going to include speakers they own. Why would any of us overspend if we didn't have to? That said, the more involved you become with this hobby, the more you become enlightened to brands such as the RGA's AN's or the Opera and Ellis' that Dave speaks so highly of. Note that I didn't include my own B&W CDM 7NT'S on my list. This is not only because they are out of production, but also because I feel the VR2's are far better than the succeeding, but inferior IMO, 704's.

Beckman,
Rule #2: No used speakers. Of course, these are also under the $2k limit when new :).

Geoffcin
04-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Its starting to look like most of the best bang for your buck are owned my you guys. Odd,so many wise shoppers.

While a couple of the speakers that I recommend are from the same company, I don't own ANY of the speakers that I recommended!

thepogue
04-09-2005, 10:22 AM
nOrh 3.0 for $195.00 shipped!!! great lil speaker..

Peace, Pogue

AVMASTER
04-09-2005, 10:26 AM
upper level in-walls:
Jamo d830iw (a tad more than 2K ), the best in its' class!!!!!!
in-walls:
Niles MP6r truly multipurpose in-wall, great value for whole house system
flat on-walls:
Pinnacle P5.2ow, exceptional highs/ mids
in-ceilings:
Speakercraft AIM8 one, very musical, very flexible
outdoors ( building mounted ):
Niles OS10 excellent value for mid size backyards
outdoors ( free standing )
Rockustics Rocky JR. good deal for mid to large landscaped yards
computer speakers:
Bose Companion 3 ( yeah, i know what you're going to say but these tiny little thing r pretty good for that application)

thepogue
04-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Here's FYI a link...I've heard (and own) the 3.0 and 4.0's...and consiter them a great buy for the sound and presentation...just plain fun speaks!! BTW if you go to thier web page and hunt around a bit...you'll see a picture I jokingly posted here around five or six years ago...It was a spoof company named "smOre"...it was kinda cute.

Peace, Pogue

http://www.norh.com/

LEAFS264
04-09-2005, 12:46 PM
PSB Stratus Silveri's and the Stratus Mini Both are fantasic speakers

Jay

JoeE SP9
04-09-2005, 08:25 PM

Here's the rules:
3) Have fun!

4) EFE AR.com DIY (never heard it, but I trust Kex's ears and Ed's clearly knows what he's doing)
5) Epos ELS3 (very accurate although completely lacking in the bottom octaves) Magnepan MG-1.6 QR's at $1900 or so, the best buy in audio.

A-Audiophile
04-10-2005, 09:47 AM

Here's the rules:
3) Have fun!

Paradigm
Klipsch
Magnapan
and of course DYNAUDIO

paul_pci
04-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Paradigm
Klipsch
Magnapan
and of course DYNAUDIO

I think that Dynaudio is a magnificent speaker (esp. the 52se), but the drawback of including them on a list of best bang for the buck is the extra cost of amplification for those speakers. Considering the speakers in and of themselves may be a good value, but we cannot ignore the fact that they need serious, and potentially expensive, amplification.

topspeed
04-11-2005, 12:08 PM
Paradigm
Klipsch
Magnapan
and of course DYNAUDIO

Which speakers? While I can appreciate that you consider these manufacturers to offer great bang for the buck, certainly there are specific speaker you have in mind. Remember, this isn't a list of our favorite manufacturers, but a list of speakers that through experience comparing them with others you feel to offer exceptional value for the money.

vr6ofpain
04-11-2005, 10:14 PM
If you want to go cheap, i.e. <$200:

I recall these Boston's (CR8) sounding pretty good when I listened to them some time ago:
http://i15.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/d4/3f/d6_1_b.JPGhttp://i17.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/d3/a7/ba_1_b.JPG
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14991&item=5766942210&rd=1

Or another pair I saw, though I have never heard. Looks promising for $75:
http://i9.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/d2/5e/c4_1_b.JPGhttp://i5.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/d3/70/bb_1_b.JPG

nick250
04-12-2005, 05:44 AM
The best value for me has to be the Paridigm Atoms. For $195 (that was a couple of years ago, they may be more now) you get amazing sound. And another vote for the Studio 20's.

kexodusc
04-12-2005, 09:29 AM
Hmmmm....
Lots of good models mentioned here.

I like the Ar.com's, I replaced my Studio 20's with these (v.2's, the v.3's might actually be a micron better overall than these, maybe I'll do a head-to-head someday)... At under $200 in parts it's great...I think you could get a wee bet better with $180 in parts, especially if you were happy with an 80Hz crossover point and intended only to use these with a sub, but as an already designed kit they are an impressive value. Like all speakers, might not be to everyone's tastes though...they get compared to Revel's for sound characteristics...I haven't heard any speakers by Revel so I'm not sure.

Dayton BR-1 kit from Parts Express: $140...are you kidding? These easily compete with GOOD $350-$400 speakers...I've personally compared a pair of $400 Boston Acoustics (model escapes me)and Paradigm Mini Monitors to these. I'm still not sure which I like best, but that says it all... A complete, and awesome 6 speaker system for $450? Sign me up. They're a bit on the ugly side though)

PMC DB1- Very nice speaker for $1000, I wish I heard these years ago.

Totem Rainmaker: $800 CDN for a speaker that rivals the Studio 20v.3, with a better midrange IMO...bass is a bit light, but what's there is tight and accurate. Totem is a hit and miss company, but this one is a real hit with me.

For subs, I'm with Paul on the Dayton Quatro...anything that can top the 12" Titanic for 1/2 the price is my kind of sub...You won't get 115 dB of SPL, or below 19Hz, but if sound quality is more important to you than specs, this is the way to go! If that damn plate amp ever arrives I'll finish mine and post a more thorough review.

jocko_nc
04-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Put me down for Vandersteen 2Ce's... I have had them for 14 years now and still get great enjoyment from them. As an "acquired taste", I would definitely recommend hearing them. You may find you love them, then again you may not. Avoid a mistake either way.

jocko

Woochifer
04-12-2005, 06:26 PM
If you want to go cheap, i.e. <$200:

I recall these Boston's (CR8) sounding pretty good when I listened to them some time ago:

I always thought that Boston's acoustic suspension speakers (the A and T series models) were very much underappreciated in their time. Fortunately, this means that a lot of those speakers are available for cheap on Ebay. I still use a pair of the bookshelf A40s in my two-channel system. Their current CR bookshelf series has some of the best stuff that they've made since they discontinued their original A series models.

That HD series model that you posted below was one of their first ported models. IMO, Boston's first group of ported speakers was disappointing in their sound quality.

vr6ofpain
04-13-2005, 08:24 PM
Dayton BR-1 kit from Parts Express: $140...are you kidding? These easily compete with GOOD $350-$400 speakers...I've personally compared a pair of $400 Boston Acoustics (model escapes me)and Paradigm Mini Monitors to these. I'm still not sure which I like best, but that says it all... A complete, and awesome 6 speaker system for $450? Sign me up. They're a bit on the ugly side though

I've considered picking these up, just to build them and have a listen ($140 shipped). Are they good? Unfortunately the Search will not take "BR1" or "BR 1" or "BR-1"....which is really annoying because someone might have reviewed it on here.

Mark111867
04-14-2005, 05:48 AM
I have to agree with Geoffcin regarding the Cambridge Soundworks Newton M80's. They are nice speakers for the money. Money well spent IMO.

kexodusc
04-14-2005, 05:49 AM
The BR-1's have some tweeter issues, could use a bit better cabinetry and won't play ear bleeding loud, but you will be surprised at how well they keep up with $400-$500 speakers. That being said there's only so much the BR-1's can do.

I've heard 2 pairs now, there's been some revisions to the tweeter since the initial design. I'm no stranger to inexpensive speakers, having owned Paradigm Atoms, Titans, PSB Alpha's, and currently Axiom M3Ti's. The BR-1's in my opinion are better than all of these and approach, if not surpass the Mini Monitors I use to own in terms of performance...Though they have an overall warm sound to them, much different than the Mini Monitors - I find most budget speakers to be bright and not as smooth at the top end, perhaps a reflection of listening preferences...if you like bright speakers the BR-1's will be at a disadvantage. Excellent details from the Dayton silky tweeter though.
I have no doubt that for $140 in parts and a bit of skill, you could DIY a better speaker, but these already have all the hard work done for you. An incredible value. IMO, easily the best "entry level" speakers out there, which is saying a lot considering how many good $200-$250 speakers there are out there these days. They can be assemble in an hour or so. Throw in $15 for a nice cherry vinyl wrap or $20 for wood veneer and you can fix up the looks too.

Take the plunge, come back, and be the first to write a glimmering review...

jocko_nc
04-14-2005, 07:01 AM
Ditto that prior post on the little Daytons... I bought a pair for my 9 year-old, to go with a bunch of old equipment I had laying around. For the money, these little guys are pretty darn hard to beat. They are NOT bright, on the contrary very subdued. You cannot blast them. However, the sound quality will surprise and impress. Did I mention $140.00? I was not sure what to expect, but for the money (free shipping) I decided to give it a try. I would not have been terribly disappionted if they were junk... Quite the opposite, I was completely overwhelmed with what I received, for the money.

I have bought lots of stuff from Parts Express and have never been let down.

jocko

vr6ofpain
04-14-2005, 08:06 AM
Well....I tend to dislike bright speakers. So maybe that is more reason to go with them! Ya parts express is awesome, I buy all sorts of stuff from them. Be it quick ties, or a small butane torch, they have everything.

vr6ofpain
04-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Ya know I was really impressed by a buddies set of Totem Mite's. I can't find a resonable dealer of totem nearby, so gettign them might be hard for others.

Anyone else hear them? They were one of the more affordable models the company made a while back. Plus the enclosure was beautiful.

http://www.totemacoustic.com/english/images/photos/mite.jpg

gatlaw
05-03-2005, 08:51 PM
I have read the starting point of this thread and note that many of the responses go to the speakers costing upwards (and beyond) of $2000/pair. Did any of these writers read the original thread (or is it that they just don't care). The writer's system was a TECHNICS! Help him out! OK TOPSPEED...go to ebay. look at Wharfedale's offerings....buy if you can, EMERALD 97 or EMERALD 99 in black WOOD...These speakers sound GREAT. They are larger floostanders. Forget specs...you have to LISTEN to speakers not read them. These speakers, as well as the emerald 95, 93 and 91's ALL SOUND GREAT...guaranteed they will blow your technics away...just how much BASS you get will vary with the size of the speaker...I have gorgeous BLOND WOOD or ROSEWOOD EMERALD 91's bookshelf...and some smaller DIAMOND 7.1 Anniversary in BLACK that are AWESOME. I HAVE A PAIR OF BlACK EMERALD 97's FLOORSTANDING for $450 pair that will change your view of music. You'll hear things you've never heard before. Clarity and musicality is the key. Each room will affect the sound of your speakers...wharfedales are usually ported and they need lots of room behind (if rear ported) them to breathe. Check out the wharfedale website...

topspeed
05-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Uh Gatlaw, you sure you've got the right thread buddy?

Read the first post, check your prescription, and ease up on the ALL CAPS.

Thanks for the suggestions tho.

kexodusc
05-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Geez, I have an old set of Emerald 95's I think in my garage...not bad, nothing great though...I find it hard to believe the 97 would be much better. They were a great pickup at a used furniture dealer after my PSB Alpha's had an unfortunate fall...

thepogue
05-04-2005, 11:20 AM
and to suggest that writers "just dont care"...shows yer butt...and for the record...if you really did read the whole thread...you see my suggestion was under 200 bucks...chill bro and you'd do well to get to know a few of the players before you go kickin in doors..

Peace, Pogue

I have read the starting point of this thread and note that many of the responses go to the speakers costing upwards (and beyond) of $2000/pair. Did any of these writers read the original thread (or is it that they just don't care). The writer's system was a TECHNICS! Help him out! OK TOPSPEED...go to ebay. look at Wharfedale's offerings....buy if you can, EMERALD 97 or EMERALD 99 in black WOOD...These speakers sound GREAT. They are larger floostanders. Forget specs...you have to LISTEN to speakers not read them. These speakers, as well as the emerald 95, 93 and 91's ALL SOUND GREAT...guaranteed they will blow your technics away...just how much BASS you get will vary with the size of the speaker...I have gorgeous BLOND WOOD or ROSEWOOD EMERALD 91's bookshelf...and some smaller DIAMOND 7.1 Anniversary in BLACK that are AWESOME. I HAVE A PAIR OF BlACK EMERALD 97's FLOORSTANDING for $450 pair that will change your view of music. You'll hear things you've never heard before. Clarity and musicality is the key. Each room will affect the sound of your speakers...wharfedales are usually ported and they need lots of room behind (if rear ported) them to breathe. Check out the wharfedale website...

gatlaw
05-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Uh Gatlaw, you sure you've got the right thread buddy?

Read the first post, check your prescription, and ease up on the ALL CAPS.

Thanks for the suggestions tho.

Sorry! I don't have my sea legs yet. I have to find my post to see where my caps went awry.

topspeed
05-04-2005, 03:56 PM
No worries. Welcome to the board :).

Geoffcin
05-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Ya know I was really impressed by a buddies set of Totem Mite's. I can't find a resonable dealer of totem nearby, so gettign them might be hard for others.

Anyone else hear them? They were one of the more affordable models the company made a while back. Plus the enclosure was beautiful.

http://www.totemacoustic.com/english/images/photos/mite.jpg

They were really nice too. Like mini-Rainmakers. You could make a case for these as a great speakers system for your computer, or in a secondary system. Probably too good for surround duty!

kexodusc
05-04-2005, 04:07 PM
The Rainmakers were pretty fantastic when I demoed those a while back - I think I posted a thread, I preferred them to the Studio 20 v.3's.
Haven't heard the Mites, but, but they look to be another solid entry from Totem. (wheels turning...Rainmaker or Mite clones would be pretty easy...)

Geoffcin
05-04-2005, 04:33 PM
The Rainmakers were pretty fantastic when I demoed those a while back - I think I posted a thread, I preferred them to the Studio 20 v.3's.
Haven't heard the Mites, but, but they look to be another solid entry from Totem. (wheels turning...Rainmaker or Mite clones would be pretty easy...)

I really hate you Kexo! Not for making me want to build some Rainmaker clones too, (although that did cross my mind) But for making me give away more of my review of HE2005;

When I walked into the Totem room Vince Bruzzese, the company President, had those Rainmakers really cranking. After walking into room after room at the show of sweet 70~80db muzak (yawn), to hear these little, (and I mean little) speakers pumping away at 90db+ was refreshing to say the least. I would have to call it the WTF?! moment of the show for me. (at leat until we started playing with the Mani-2) Those guys at Totem were having way too much fun, and it was contagious. I got some time with all their speakers, and I'll post more of it up with my long report on the show.

Buzz Roll
05-04-2005, 07:36 PM
Looking forward to see your show report. Yes, the totem room was fun. The Rainmakers were my favorite in the room...

loose
05-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Have a listen to Epos M12.2, Neat Mystique, Ruark Sabre III

at their price points, all I can say is try em out! you will not be disappointed.

GMichael
05-06-2005, 07:21 AM
Well I know I'm the new guy on the block, but the Infinity Primus 360's sound great to me. They cost about $600.00 a pair and you can get a pair of bookshelf (Primus 150's)speakers free from a certain source along with your purchase. They are not the best you can buy, but a lot of bang for just a few bucks. They take everything my 130W rms x 7 receiver throws at them and still sound clear with no fuss. I've listened to the compairable Polkes, JBL'S and Bose but these sounded the best to my ears. Don't expect booming base from them though. You'll need a sub for that. What I did was this, ordered these and got two free 150's. Then I bought the center and sub (also Infinity, C25 and PS12) and got two more free 150's. The complete set came to under $1300.00 including the small frieght charge. What more can you ask for while on a budget?

topspeed
05-06-2005, 10:33 AM
It's always fun to find a bargain. So spill the beans, where did you get them from?

GMichael
05-06-2005, 11:33 AM
I got them from Crutchfield. Here is the link http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kwcGILVTiqd/
It looks like they are still running the same special. Freight was in the order of 15 to 16 for each of the two shipments. No tax which also saved me a bundle. I found other sites that had lower prices on the towers, but then you had to PAY for the 150's. Gees. Then add freight & tax and I was looking at over $1600 total and no mfg warrenty.

Soundideas
07-24-2005, 09:33 AM
SDAT SB-E639D speakers for only $250.00! www.sdatgroup.com One of the best buys on the market today! Could these speakers be better sounding than Paradigm studio 100v3's, that's what someone on ecoustics forum is saying! LOOK!........ http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/145226.html They are comparing these speakers to really good speakers here..... http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/144638.html

topspeed
08-30-2005, 08:34 AM
SDAT SB-E639D speakers for only $250.00! www.sdatgroup.com One of the best buys on the market today! Could these speakers be better sounding than Paradigm studio 100v3's, that's what someone on ecoustics forum is saying! LOOK!........ http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/145226.html They are comparing these speakers to really good speakers here..... http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/144638.html
SDAT, huh?

Lessee, we've got a B&W clone, a Legacy clone, and a dome tweeter disguised to look like a ribbon. What's more, all of the speakers, even the small bookshelf model, have the exact same frequency response of 20hz-20khz. Wow. That's pretty amazing, especially when you consider that they used different drivers for each speaker. Most manufacturers tend to stay within the same design parameters across the lines. SDAT must really be onto something, huh?

OK, for any newbies reading this thread, these are the epitome of White Van speakers. Stay far, far away.

As for Soundideas:

GO AWAY SHILL!!!

drseid
08-30-2005, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I love that bookshelf speaker that does 20hz-20Khz in particular as well... Maybe that is at -100db... :-)

---Dave

Pyrrho
08-30-2005, 02:50 PM
With a budget of $2000/pair, I would probably go with Aurum Cantus Leisure 2SE (retail $1299, though you can probably get a couple of hundred off) and add a Hsu Research VTF-3 MK 2 subwoofer ($699). I love the ribbon tweeter on the Leisure 2SE, and the little 5 1/4" woofer is amazing for its size. You can read about these at:

http://www.kellsieavdesign.com/products/Leisure2SE.htm

http://www.hsustore.com/vtf3.html

But if we are talking about the best deal in audio, giving the best sound for the least amount of money, I think the Magnepan MMG for $550 is it, assuming you have an amplifier that can deal with 4-ohm speakers. (I know, this has been said repeatedly in this thread, but they really are an amazing speaker at that price point.)

http://www.magnepan.com/the_offer.php

einsteinjb
08-31-2005, 05:03 PM
Hello folks,

I'm amazed that in 3 pages of under $2K bang-for-buck speaker recommendations, I haven't seen one mention of Ed Frias' EFE speakers!! Nor has anyone mentioned BIC, Acoustech, etc. Now I do not own any of Ed's speakers (YET), nor have I heard them. But considering how a couple of other forums are filled to overflowing with RAVES about Ed's products, I would have thought someone would have mentioned them here. His B-15 import bookshelfs are $690/pair. In fact in his new import series, only the top of the line T-50 costs over $2K, at $2890/pair. His second biggest tower the T-42 is $1290/pair.

Then if you really want to buy cheap, folks rave about Ed's extensively modified BIC Venturi speakers. I just picked up a pair of stock BIC DV62CLR-S centers on ebay, which don't sound amazing but I'm sending my xovers to Ed for modification next week, and a lot of people rave about the incredible sound from these CHEAP speakers once Ed's had his way with them. I can post an update on them once I've installed the mods. I will have paid a total of just about $200 for the pair once I have them done, including shipping.

If you want to contact Ed, who happens to be a really decent and incredibly knowledgeable guy who answers emails promptly, his email is efespeakers@commspeed.net. He's replied quickly to every question I've sent him so far. You can read about his work on audioreview.com, audioholics.com and avsforum.com.

Anyone have experience with his speakers? Bueller? Bueller?

Also I've not heard these either but plenty of people recommend BIC's Acoustech line for good cheap speakers, especially for HT. They're available at amazon.com and often ubid, among other places. They're often compared favorably to Klipsch's Refence line.

I do own a pair of Boston Acoustic CR75 bookshelfs, and I owned a pair of their old A40Vs til I actually wore out the foam surrounds after about 11 years of hard use. I used a kit to repair them but they never sounded right again so I bought the CR75s and love them. I overpaid ($300) for them at Tweeter, but they're available now on Amazon for $180/pair, which is a steal for how they sound. Note that if you go with these, they play clean and loud with a nice detailed sound, fairly good low end for their size and price, but they are a bright speaker. I EQ them in my studio with a 15 band/chan. graphic just to cool the upper mids out and warm up the lower mids a bit and they sound stunning in a small room paired with a small sub. Acoustic instruments sound especially nice on them with the emphasized highs, though if you don't EQ them they'll fatigue your ears after a while if you crank them or play rock on them. I tried them in my 12 x 14 x 8' HT room and found they didn't have the beef to really do the job there as mains, but they're great as surrounds.

I have to also second the recommendation for B&W 600 series. I have a pair of DM602s2s I really enjoy, and the S3s are an improvement. I've heard them accurately described as a "polite" speaker -- not very bright, just a nice warm speaker with pleasant midrange and clean highs. Bass is cool for their size, but I use them with a sub. A friend has a HT system with DM604s3s in front, 600 series S3 center (don't know the model #), and DM602s2s for surrounds, and it's a really beautiful sounding system matched with his Paradigm PW2200 sub. Every speaker in that system is well under $2K.

As far as subs go, SVS and Hsu seem to be the value and quality leaders for under $2000. The Paradigm PW2200 I mentioned ROCKS the house, absolutely stunning for HT at around $800, sounds decent for music if a bit boomy in the room I've heard it in. Probably get better value with SVS or Hsu.

I just bought a Cadence XSub (wrote a HUGE review of it on avsforum.com) and I have to give it a major recommendation if you want a sub for under $250 that rocks the house for both music and HT. I want a bigger, tighter, faster sub eventually but for now this one's doing a great job and I definitely feel it's worth more than what I paid for it.

topspeed
08-31-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm amazed that in 3 pages of under $2K bang-for-buck speaker recommendations, I haven't seen one mention of Ed Frias' EFE speakers!! Nor has anyone mentioned BIC, Acoustech, etc. Now I do not own any of Ed's speakers (YET), nor have I heard them. But considering how a couple of other forums are filled to overflowing with RAVES about Ed's products, I would have thought someone would have mentioned them here. His B-15 import bookshelfs are $690/pair. In fact in his new import series, only the top of the line T-50 costs over $2K, at $2890/pair. His second biggest tower the T-42 is $1290/pair.

From the Original Post:

1) Von Schweikert VR1 and VR2 (betcha didn't see that one coming )

Many members here own and rave about his speakers as well as his generosity. I talk to Ed about cars every couple of weeks and can attest to the fact that he's a genuinely nice guy. Thanks for the rec's on the other brands. Next time, take a moment to read the OP.

Welcome to the board :).

snickelfritz
09-01-2005, 01:04 AM
The best sounding dynamic speaker I've auditioned in the $2000 range was the B&W 805N.
Nothing I compared it with could approach the overall transparency, coherence and vivid detail on vocals.
I think you'd need a good sub and a really clean (Class A) amplifier to fully leverage the potential of these speakers though.

I also agree with the Studio 20 recommendation, but the 805N is definitely a better speaker, which is hardly surprising considering the difference in price.

einsteinjb
09-01-2005, 10:48 AM
From the Original Post:

Many members here own and rave about his speakers as well as his generosity. I talk to Ed about cars every couple of weeks and can attest to the fact that he's a genuinely nice guy. Thanks for the rec's on the other brands. Next time, take a moment to read the OP.

Welcome to the board :).
Whoops!! I DID read the OP! How the heck did I miss that?? Sorry, should have paid closer attention. Well you did only mention the AR.com DIYs rather than his main custom series or his ext mods, and I thought they were probably all worth a mention. :) Besides what everyone says about the sound, the T series are bee-YOO-tiful in their black piano gloss finish with cool yellow drivers. They definitely look like they cost more than they do.

Speaking of which, has anyone had the chance to compare the AR.com DIYs to Ed's B-15 bookshelfs? He'll build you a DIY for around $600 which is almost the same price as the B-15 so I'm very curious if anyone has comments on how they compare.

ichigo
01-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE/CMT-340SE

audiomadness
01-27-2006, 06:37 PM
I would like to throw in the Pinnacle AC650 (paid $250)....hideous looking bookshelf speakers, but wonderfully flat and warm sounding. Positioned right, I would put these up against speakers costing 2-3X times the amount.

I've since retired the Pinnacles and have found a pair of Phase Technology 4.5's that sounds even better for $130/pr.

jc_bon2
01-27-2006, 10:08 PM
what can you guys say about the monitor audio RS s1 and klipsch rb-35??

dennymack
02-01-2006, 03:48 PM
...or is it an architects lamp?
Gotta love the designers with the courage to try a new form, as long as they take the time to test it and see that there is more than mere form.
I look forward to hearing from you as too how it sounds.
Dennymack

nOrh 3.0 for $195.00 shipped!!! great lil speaker..

Peace, Pogue

dennymack
02-01-2006, 04:56 PM
I've been looking at speakers in my price range lately, which means around $300-450. I thought the Paradigm focus had the nicest sound. Monitor Audio was nice, Boston and B&W both weren't to my taste, but obviously not bad sounding.
I'm sure that many of the models mentioned here outplay the Paradigm Focus, but for many of us spending any money on non-essentials is a stretch, and three bills is a luxury. (Now I know that some of you are scratching your heads, wondering what non-essentials I'm talking about. Speakers. Yes, apparently some people with whom we share checking accounts think of speakers as non-survival items. So misguided, but so hard to correct.)
For three hundred I could really enjoy music, even without a sub. Of course I would want to add a sub later, but for now...
My question is this, for all you experienced folks:
I have some old infinity sm152's, full size monitors with big woofers. Can I replace them with a more modern, well thought out speaker that will do everything that they do for around 3 bills. I have heard many lovely small speakers for that price, but cheap subs sound awful, and I do like to hear the low end.
I guess I should start another thread on this, but since you all have your budget thinking caps on, I'm asking.
...Also, as a newbie to your forum, I complement y'all on your civility and knowledge.
Dennymack

topspeed
02-02-2006, 10:01 AM
My question is this, for all you experienced folks:
I have some old infinity sm152's, full size monitors with big woofers. Can I replace them with a more modern, well thought out speaker that will do everything that they do for around 3 bills. I have heard many lovely small speakers for that price, but cheap subs sound awful, and I do like to hear the low end.
I guess I should start another thread on this, but since you all have your budget thinking caps on, I'm asking.
...Also, as a newbie to your forum, I complement y'all on your civility and knowledge.
Dennymack
Welcome to the forum!

There are plenty of great suggestions in this thread that fit your budget. Straight up, it's going to be extremely challenging to recover accurate, deep, bass at your budget and nearly impossible with a monitor of any kind. It's simply a matter of physics; monitors have small drivers and you need to push a lot of air for serious bass.

Consider this; the most dynamic monitor I've heard is the Von Schweikert VR1, a speaker with a 13" footprint that is measured to 40hz (-3dB). For a monitor, that's pretty freakin' good. It's also a $1200 speaker. You can buy floorstanders in your price range that will play low, they just won't play accurately.

Audition some of the speakers mentioned in this thread and see if any tickle your fancy. There are plenty of suggestions under $300, including some enticing DIY projects. If you can turn a screwdriver and handle a soldering iron, you can build a AR.com by EFE or perhaps the Dayton BR-1.

Hope this helps.

speakeroligist_38
02-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Topspeed if you have $2000 to spend I would definatley get me a set of the used Linbrook Sigs for around $2200-2300 a set. They are the absolute best speakers by far I have heard to date. Each speaker weighs in at a hefty 55lbs. and have a 1" Seas Millennium Tweeter and dual 7" Seas Magnesium Drivers in a MTM design. Quite frankly, nothing I have heard is even close and Ty's cabinetry skills are second to none. Luckily, Tyler Acoustics is less than 30 miles from my home. These are the real deal. Noticed you mentioned the AR.coms and I have owned a set of those and was very happy with them. I bought them directly from Ed himself which means each component was measured and matched which made them even better sounding. The Ar.coms have a way of sounding like the artisit is right there in your living room. But the Linbrooks are just off the charts so to speak. I have also had the oppurtunity to listen to an A/B of the Paradigm Studio 20 v.3 and the B&W 602s3. Both were excellent in their own respect but worlds apart in how they sounded. The 602s3's were much more polite, laid back with a lush sound quality whereas the Studio 20's were much much more articulate in the upper mid bass regions and imaged significantly better over all. The Studio 20 v.3's which I now own are just plain awesome and for the money IMHO will be hard to beat. Everything from the size of the soundstage to the openess and airiness of the tweeter is just right. The 602s3's sounded a little bit bloated and did not image quite as well. The Ar.coms are very nice but were not near as efficient as the Studio 20 v.3's nor were they as articulate. Sure, the Linbrooks blow all of the above away but they are normally $3200 a pair and are on sale quite frequently for $2800 a pair so they should perform that well. All in all, I believe the Studio 20's v.3 are the absolute best bang for the buck speakers period. Soon, the v.4 versions will be out and I bet they will only get better.

speakeroligist_38
02-03-2006, 08:05 PM
einst I owned a set of AR.coms that Ed himself built and I let me just say they were very good. The midrange is so incredibly realistic you will swear the artist in performing right there in your living room. And as you mentioned Ed himself is an absolute gentleman. I was and still am impressed by him but I dont think the Ar.coms are quite on par with my Paradigm Studio v.3's. The 20's are better and more effecient. Significantly more articulate and better low extension and the imaging is unbelievable. But the 20's do cost more and as such should perform better. Hope this helps.

jtgofish
02-05-2006, 04:20 AM
Go for second hand.Buy a pair of Klipsch KG4s off ebay.Stick a Fountek JP 2 or 3 ribbon on top with a 1 or 1.5 microfarad cap wired up to them as a super tweeter,knock off the bottom skirt and place them on some open frame stands-and most importantly use the rest of the money to buy a tube amp-or a Sonic Impact T amp if you want-it will drive them well and cost peanuts.

JT

dennymack
02-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks for your help guys. Now I just have to find a place that carries the full line of paradigm speakers, so I can compare the studio 20's and that focus.

I may go used yet, but it seems that there has been a significant spreading out of the top designs and materials into the budget range. I wonder if today's $300 dollar speaker isn't better than the $800 dollar speaker of ten years ago.

I didn't see anyone mention the lowest priced, mail order maggies. I have heard some hyperbolic things about planar speakers, and while my local audio shop has some, they are of the $15,000 variety. (At that price, I'm sure any format can excel. ) I would love to hear them before I start measuring my walls and making sight-unseen orders, even if they are money back.

Thanks, All.

jtgofish
02-08-2006, 12:55 AM
I have buillt 2 pairs of the AR.com Ed Frias speakers.These were for friends.They are very refined and coherent speakers and sound a bit like some of the excellent but pricey stand mounts from Spendor and Proac.For the cost they are a bargain and will provide fatigue free listening.

JT

speakeroligist_38
02-08-2006, 07:01 AM
jt like you I owned a pair of Ar.coms that were built by Ed frias himself and cost $600 a pair. Ed measures and matches each compnent with respect to the drivers and X-overs. As expected they were excellent speakers. However, I also own a set of the Paradigm Studio 20 v.3's and was able to do an A/B test between the two and in every category IMHO the Studio 20 v.3's were better. The 20's imaged better, were more effecient, had a larger soundstage, much better low frequency extension, and were more articualate in the upper midbass regions. The tweeter was also more open and airy w/o and harshness or sounding rolled off. Dont take me wrong the Ar.coms are excellent speakers and are better than many out there BUT the Studioi 20v.3's are in another class all together and should be given their $800 a pair pricetag. It is just very hard to beat the Studio 20v.3's all around performance in the $800 or less category of stand mounted speakers. The Studio 20 v.3's truly are giant killers.

JoeE SP9
02-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks for your help guys. Now I just have to find a place that carries the full line of paradigm speakers, so I can compare the studio 20's and that focus.

I may go used yet, but it seems that there has been a significant spreading out of the top designs and materials into the budget range. I wonder if today's $300 dollar speaker isn't better than the $800 dollar speaker of ten years ago.

I didn't see anyone mention the lowest priced, mail order maggies. I have heard some hyperbolic things about planar speakers, and while my local audio shop has some, they are of the $15,000 variety. (At that price, I'm sure any format can excel. ) I would love to hear them before I start measuring my walls and making sight-unseen orders, even if they are money back.

Thanks, All.You should try Magnepan's offer on the MMG's. If you don't like them you just return them for a refund. IMHO they simply walk, no stomp all over anything comparably priced. To my ears no box speaker sounds right. I have owned planars since 1976 and have never looked back.http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

abstracta
02-10-2006, 02:03 PM
To my ears, the MMG's have no 'weight' behind the music they are reproducing either. 'Big and thin' is the best way I can describe the music coming from a small planar.

The bigger Maggies aren't bad if you're pushing them with million watts per channel, but I'll take the inferiour cone speakers and their smaller soundstage along with their superior dynamics. Note that virtually all recording studios use conventional cone based monitors for mastering, and not Maggies. That's not 'hyperbolic' at all.

Larger Paradigms are overpriced, under driven, and sell off the coat tails of their smaller siblings. I'd certainly audition them besides Axiom, which I feel offers a better and more innovative floor standing product.

topspeed
02-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Let's keep this thread on track here. This is supposed to be a place we can point newbie's, not a poll as to whether or not you think someone's suggestion is good or not. We all hear differently, and we all have differing opinions. Let's allow others to make up their own minds, 'kay?

Geoffcin
02-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Let's keep this thread on track here. This is supposed to be a place we can point newbie's, not a poll as to whether or not you think someone's suggestion is good or not. We all hear differently, and we all have differing opinions. Let's allow others to make up their own minds, 'kay?

If you have a speaker that you think represents a good buy then buy all means post it. This thread is not here for bashing other peoples opinions. Lord knows we got plenty of those already.

Florian
02-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Well as far as used speakers go that i havent listed yet, i would like to add

Hales
Acoustats
Eminent Technology
TDL

jtgofish
02-13-2006, 03:42 AM
Good to know that there are some commercial speakers around like the Paradigms that offer such good value.The AR.com kits are a bit amplifier sensitive.I suspect they would sound good on the end of a digital amp.They aren't really happy with most valve amps and need a really good 80 watts RMS transistor[oxymoron I know].
JT

markusp
02-15-2006, 08:19 AM
Some best bang for the buck speakers I love are:

• Aurum Cantus Leisure 2 SE Mk II ($1400 CDN)
•Â*Totem Acoustics Sttaf ($1800 CDN)
• PMC DB-1 ($1300 CDN)
• Dynaudio Audience 52
• Elac BS 203.2
• Elac BS 204.2

Have owned some of these and extensively demoed others and feel that for what these speakers do, they do it extremely well, especially those with ribbon tweeters. Have also owned B&W DM602s (too bloated for my liking but a good buy for the $$$) and Paradigm Studio 20s v. 3 (good speaker for the money but not my cup of tea so to speak).

vinyladdict
02-16-2006, 07:22 PM
WOW! 4 pages and not a single mention of the NHT SB-3! One of the finest monitors I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. Smooth, detailed, deep controlled bass - just amazing. Impossible to beat at $600/pair. Have to agree with the VR-1's too - incredible as well but at twice the price of the SB-3s.

Mike Anderson
02-16-2006, 10:03 PM
Another vote for the MMG's here.

Sure, they don't push air like cones do, but the resolution, richness and overall quality of the sound is impossible to beat for that kind of money.

RGA
02-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Impossible to beat is rather subjective. Unless of course you've heard every $600.00 speaker. I am personally suspicious of speakers in this price range using metal tweeters.

Geoffcin
02-17-2006, 03:25 AM
Another vote for the MMG's here.

Sure, they don't push air like cones do, but the resolution, richness and overall quality of the sound is impossible to beat for that kind of money.

That they let you hear the quality of your amp/preamp better than most speakers in this range. Not my pic if all you've got is a receiver.

vinyladdict
02-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Impossible to beat is rather subjective. Unless of course you've heard every $600.00 speaker.

Yes... thank you for pointing out the obvious....

I think everyone else who reads my reply will not take the post quite so literally...

I am personally suspicious of speakers in this price range using metal tweeters.

Perhaps you should listen to the SB-3 then. I've always found the immediate dismissal of metal tweeters quite perplexing. I've never been able to draw a correlation between tweeter material and "harshness", "glare" or "brightness" - I've heard both metal and non-metal tweeter based monitors that exhibit these qualities. The SB-3's don't, which is why I recommend them.

A good, well engineered design is a good well engineered design regardless of material... or price.

astrallionheart
02-18-2006, 03:26 AM
What about the Ascend Acoustics Signature Editions? They've got SEAs tweeters and aerogel woofers. They are pretty damn linear (+/- 1.25db 70-20KHz).

$350 for their CBM-170SE monitor with 1" Seas tweeter and 6.5" midrange; $550 for their D'appolito style dual 6.5"s and 1" tweeter.

RGA
02-19-2006, 07:24 PM
A good, well engineered design is a good well engineered design regardless of material... or price.

Yes I agree with this in theory - I am just going based off my listening experience. I feel I have heard a large number of speakers over the years including the 1.5, 2.5 and 3.3 from NHT back when I was in the market for speakers.

I have heard well engineered and reasonably well integrated speakers using dissimilar drivers - though generally, they cost a lot.

emorphien
04-02-2006, 11:20 AM
MMGs are probably one of the best examples of bang for the buck, I'd love to get them but simply can't accomodate them in my current setup right now. Properly positioning them would be impossible.

I own them, and a year and a half ago when I got them I'd say the Axiom M3Tis were a steal. I'd still say that but who knows if I'd buy them again. Since I bought them there have been more good speakers that have dipped down in to their price range that I might choose first.

audio_dude
04-02-2006, 02:31 PM
the paradigm atoms are the best budget speaker that I know of...I got a them for like $185 CND, thats $65 less that the $250 retail.

stymie
04-08-2006, 05:39 PM
From my standpoint if your talking $2,000/pair my choice would be Phasetech 9.1's--these towers are just incredible for their price range. The large soundstage from any phasetech speakers I got turned onto years ago. If your talking $1,000/pair, then Phasetech 3.1's are even
more of a bargain for the quality of sound. I'm not saying their the best but their great performers when you account for the price.

emack27
04-13-2006, 10:38 PM
"Best Bang for the Buck."
I've listened to B&W 604 S2's($1400), JM lab's Cobalt 816 S ($2000), Martin Logan's ($2500), Polk ($1200), Boston Acoustic's VR-3 ($1300) and Snell's LCR7 ($2000).

By far the best speaker I've listened to is the Snell's LCR7. Side by side comparison with the Snell the B&W and the Martin Logan the Snell outperformed them both.
I also made side by side comparisons with only the JM lab, Polk and Martin Logan, The Martin logan slightly surpassed the JM lab because of its very large soundstage however the tonal qualities were quite similar. I can't remember the name of the Polk speaker but I do remember the price. The Polk could hold its own against the JM lab speaker and was quite a value.
I listened to the Boston Acoustics speaker with no side by side comparison. I asked the salesman to please turn it off and thanked him for his time.

In short the Polk speaker was by far the best "Bang for the Buck." However not the best speaker under $2k. That honor goes to the Snell LCR7 a compact speaker but don't let that fool ya. It's sound will knock your socks off! They are also hard to find and relatively new to the market but if you get the chance to listen to them be ready to be impressed.

emack27
04-13-2006, 10:50 PM
OOPS!
I made a mistake on the thread above. I meant to say B&W S3's.

emack27
04-13-2006, 11:07 PM
By Far, Without A Doubt, The Best Speaker Under $2k Is The Snell Lcr7.
And That's All There Is To Say.

Buzz Roll
04-14-2006, 10:42 AM
I heard a pair of Devore Fidelity Gibbon 3's yesterday. For 2Gs they are they best that I've heard yet.

GMichael
04-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Anyone do any listening to the KEF Q11's?

Florian
04-14-2006, 06:19 PM
I wont comment on the "best for 2K" because thats just plain idiotic, however Michael i heard the Kef's found it to be a lovely speaker for its size. Run a good tube amp with it, maybe along the Jolida lines and your set for a bit!

superpanavision70mm
04-14-2006, 07:30 PM
I am going to have to go with PSB line. Not only do they make wonderful speakers for just about any budget, but they also cater to various lifestyles, which is a big bonus. Anyone who hears PSB immediately agrees that they sound equal or better than speakers 2X their cost.

Florian
04-14-2006, 07:33 PM
I am going to have to go with PSB line. Not only do they make wonderful speakers for just about any budget, but they also cater to various lifestyles, which is a big bonus. Anyone who hears PSB immediately agrees that they sound equal or better than speakers 2X their cost.
Oh come on, that statement is like the Maggie statement that upset you. I heard PSB's and while they are nice i can think of speakers less than twice as much that sound better to my ears-

HarmonicsReview
02-05-2010, 06:02 PM
I have an objective review of Bose Companion 3 on my blog where you can compare it with other speakers that I have reviewed. It is interesting to look at.

Check out my objective review at:
http://harmonicsreview.wordpress.com/
I'll be posting more reviews soon.

blackraven
02-05-2010, 08:59 PM
I have an objective review of Bose Companion 3 on my blog where you can compare it with other speakers that I have reviewed. It is interesting to look at.

Check out my objective review at:
http://harmonicsreview.wordpress.com/
I'll be posting more reviews soon.

Ok, I'll bite out of shear curiosity since you appear to be advertising your speakers and are probably trolling. Whats the cost for them?

HarmonicsReview
02-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Ok, I'll bite out of shear curiosity since you appear to be advertising your speakers and are probably trolling. Whats the cost for them?

I am DIYer and I have created the blog as a hobby, plus it helps people like you to make a better decision. So be thankful!
I am not advertising anything, and my home made speakers on my blog are not for sale, so if you want something like those, you have to make you own! However, if you decided to do so, I might be able to help, and I will do it for free! :)

stang
02-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Def Techs CLR 2500 OR clr 3000 are unbeleivable and also have a 8 inch subwoofer built into them. Blowwww you away