Who's heard new sound from your tried and true CDs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Who's heard new sound from your tried and true CDs

3db
04-07-2005, 06:09 PM
when you brought home your new speaker? I thought I new the Cowboy Junkies CD, Crescent Moon and Mark Knoffle'r's sailing to Phillidelphia like the back of my hand but I'm hearing nuances, I haven't heard before. This is so cool and I'm really really enjoying my new PSB Image T45s

Pat D
04-07-2005, 07:34 PM
when you brought home your new speaker? I thought I new the Cowboy Junkies CD, Crescent Moon and Mark Knoffle'r's sailing to Phillidelphia like the back of my hand but I'm hearing nuances, I haven't heard before. This is so cool and I'm really really enjoying my new PSB Image T45s
Pretty common experience. Most recordigs sound better on my new speakers and I still haven't heard most of my collection using them. What would be the point in getting different speakers if they didn't sound better than the old ones?

topspeed
04-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Congrats on your new toys :).

I think it's pretty common to hear "new" things when you insert a new piece into a system, especially speakers. That's why you upgraded in the first place, isn't it? If you didn't think something was missing before, I doubt you'd be enjoying your new PSB's now :D.

paul_pci
04-07-2005, 09:13 PM
I know the feeling too. My B&Ws are far more revealing than my Polks were and it's cool to hear new aspects of the recording previously unnoticed. Congrats on your acquisition and enjoy. Of course, now you know the lust for better and better sound has begun and will never stop until you are buried with your speakers.

20to20K
04-08-2005, 05:47 AM
When I switched my fronts (Polk LSi15's) from my Denon 3805 to my new ATI amp I immediately heard suttle nuances on several of my favorite recordings that I had listened to hundreds of times before.

In particular on Herb Albert's Rise...one of my favorite demo recordings...I heard tons of new sounds and effects during the bass breaks from the title track and the track "Rotation" which has tons a cool effects as well. The ATI just brought them from the hidden background to the forefront.

That's a great recording by the way...one of the first ever 3M 32 track digital recordings from 1979 and Bernie Grundman paid great detail to the mastering. Get the MFSL vinyl if you can...

I imagine when I get around to upgrading my Polks (I'm thinking Sonus Pianos or B&W 804's) I'll hear even more new sounds...maybe I'll hit lotto and get my Meadowlark Herons!

E-Stat
04-08-2005, 08:50 AM
That is one of the fun parts of the music listening experience. Just this morning, I got my new Soundlab speakers set up. With every disc I play, I am hearing nuances formerly masked.

Enjoy!

rw

lowkey37
04-08-2005, 10:21 AM
That I have uncovered sounds not meant to hear in recordings. For instance, while listening to beat it and billie jean i can hear someone laughing in the background while puffing on a cigar. Its freaking nirvana man I mean nirvana! I hope this post is not taken in the wrong way, that is I am not trying to be bragadocious by any stretch of the imagination. Lowkey

paul_pci
04-08-2005, 10:31 AM
That I have uncovered sounds not meant to hear in recordings. For instance, while listening to beat it and billie jean i can hear someone laughing in the background while puffing on a cigar. Its freaking nirvana man I mean nirvana! I hope this post is not taken in the wrong way, that is I am not trying to be bragadocious by any stretch of the imagination. Lowkey

Of course, you're trying to be lowkey!

3db
04-08-2005, 04:26 PM
I can relate .

audio perfectionist
12-05-2005, 04:18 PM
i owned a pair of mission 780 argonauts for a long time, originally purchased by my father in the early 80's. i blew them up and spent 6 months searching for replacement drivers (the argonauts use a slightly different chassis size to conventional 8" drivers) during which i purchased a pair of mission m35i's and not having listened to the argonauts for so long, i felt that my new missions were not that much of an improvement, however after locating 4 SEAS drive units (2 p21-rex 4 ohm and 2 p21-re-m 8 ohm. 1 of each in each cabinet) and having my m35i's and my argonauts on the a/b speker terminals on my amp, the difference is remarkable. the m35i's are astonishing when put in direct comparison with the argonauts (dont get me wrong, the argonauts are gorgeous speakers and you would still be hard pushed to find anything that really blows them away for any reasonable sum of money)

Feanor
12-05-2005, 06:28 PM
As when I upgrade from NAD to Bel Canto, I heard a whole of new detail and spatial information on many discs that changed my opinion of them.

3db
12-06-2005, 06:53 AM
As when I upgrade from NAD to Bel Canto, I heard a whole of new detail and spatial information on many discs that changed my opinion of them.
That is why my current technics receiver is going to be "outsourced", "position has become redundant" "skill set is lacking" yada yada yada replaced . I would love to get my hands on the Outlaw combo 997/7125 , NAD773, or Yamaha RXV1600/HTR5890 in that order

greymalkin
12-06-2005, 01:51 PM
i was listening to a green day album with headphones on at an unreasonable volume at at the very end of one song you can hear a guy in the background saying "that sounds like a one-taker"...:)

i know..you thought they were all "one-takers" :)

Kaboom
12-07-2005, 03:01 AM
yap, its definately happening to me since i brought the Platinum Audio Solos home. Records that i can literally play back in my mind suddenly have little details that i don't remember hearing before, and little nuances like microdynamics and stresses on certain notes. Its SO AWESOME.
And this is with my crappy-ass Cambridge Audio 540A, which at 50WPC is struggling to drive the 84db solos. I can't wait till i get me some massive power to drive them, like one of those 400WPC krells...
Even with the very modest Cambridge Audio, the Solos can make the window FRAME rattle, not only the windows, and yet never sound boomy or uncontrolled.
there's nothing quite like buying quality audio equipment, specially if you're coming from a relatively low-fi background (i previously had very battered 70's SABA speakers).
Enjoy them!