Jamo E855-sounding as good as some very expensive babies [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jamo E855-sounding as good as some very expensive babies

hertz
04-07-2005, 12:43 AM
I had an interesting weekend recently. I am currently looking out for some new speakers.I just went around town auditioning speakers.Listened to the KEF Q7, QUAD 22L and finally reached the Jamo showroom convinced that I will have to shell out some serious money to get what I was looking for.I started listening to their D-series high end and they just blew me away with their tonal accuracy and balance and naturalness but they are way too high for my budget. A good friend of mine had recommended the E 855 and I asked them to play those. I was prepared for a much inferior sound than the D-series but my jaw almost touched the floor when they came on.I would say this baby came very close when I play most classical rock and Jazz (80 perent of the quality of their flagship D-870)and at almost 1/5th of the cost.It is only when I put on high quality audiophile label Jazz cds, that the D-870 has a clear edge over these. But with most software, the E855 came embarassingly close. I would suggest anybody having a budget less than 1k$ to have an audition of these babies.
BTW: They blew the knickers off the Q7 when it came to tonal balance.The mids and highs were so much superior to the Q7.Both were played off the Denon PM 2000 (dual mono) integrated but with different high end denon cd players (forgot the models).

RGA
04-07-2005, 01:32 AM
I'm not familiar with these exact models but in my experience it is usually the case that the most expensive or "flagship" speaker is rarely the best -- or not enough better to warrant the money. Many speakers today are prety much built with the same "sound" and then as you pay more they add a bit of cabinet and another woofer/crossover -- often that is more but not necessarily better and introduces more problems often times that then need to be fixed. The thing odd about this is if one plans to buy a sub -- then get the cheapest standmount version and spend the most on the sub.

evil__betty
04-10-2005, 09:08 PM
I had an interesting weekend recently. I am currently looking out for some new speakers.I just went around town auditioning speakers.Listened to the KEF Q7, QUAD 22L and finally reached the Jamo showroom convinced that I will have to shell out some serious money to get what I was looking for.I started listening to their D-series high end and they just blew me away with their tonal accuracy and balance and naturalness but they are way too high for my budget. A good friend of mine had recommended the E 855 and I asked them to play those. I was prepared for a much inferior sound than the D-series but my jaw almost touched the floor when they came on.I would say this baby came very close when I play most classical rock and Jazz (80 perent of the quality of their flagship D-870)and at almost 1/5th of the cost.It is only when I put on high quality audiophile label Jazz cds, that the D-870 has a clear edge over these. But with most software, the E855 came embarassingly close. I would suggest anybody having a budget less than 1k$ to have an audition of these babies.

Jamo's E series is a fantastic line. The D series do have a leg up on the more 'entry' level speakers, however the E855's are able to reproduce a great sound stage at a fraction of the price. Check out this review (http://www.futurelooks.com/display.php?i=230&p=1) on how they stack up against other comparable speakers. If you really want to be wowed, listen to the E805. Arguably, the best sound from a tiny speaker anywhere near that price ($500 CAN).