help with speaker placement....sound is terrible now. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : help with speaker placement....sound is terrible now.

Audioman00
04-05-2005, 04:59 PM
I have decided to move my monitors and system over to the other side of the listening room and noticed my bass response is next to gone! Sounds clean and dynamic still, but no bass. I was hoping some pro's could gimmi some ideas why the bass has left and what i can do with the placement of the spkrs to help the situation. The system never changed as far as tone control, cables, etc. everything is the same but the placement. I will try to draw a diagram and attach it for further explaination. thanks!

Woochifer
04-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Sounds like simple room acoustics at work. The maximum bass reinforcement typically occurs when you place the speakers in the corners. However, where you sit also has a huge impact on the bass because in certain locations the wave interactions will produce huge peaks that make the bass sound overly boomy, while in other locations they can create cancellations that significanty reduce the bass that you hear at your seated position.

You should experiment with repositioning the speakers, like pulling them away from the wall or putting them closer to the corners, etc. Or you can reposition where you sit. Or you can bypass the issue altogether by getting a subwoofer so that you can position the sub in the best location for low frequencies without moving anything else. No magic bullet solution here because room-induced effects are what they.

itgbkj
04-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Forgive me, I'm not saying that you've done thing incorrectly, but just to make sure, the first checklist one should have in connecting speaker and trouble shooting it is : "not to inter-change polarities of your speaker.

To quote one Yamaha RX-V450's manual on speaker connection "Be sure to connect the left channel (L), right channel (R) "+" (red) "-" (black) properly. If the connections are faulty, no sound will be heard from teh speakers, and if the polarity of the speaker connections is incorrect, the sound will be unnatural and lack bass."

Good luck!