Cant Figure out the belt on my turntable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cant Figure out the belt on my turntable

WastedDays
04-05-2005, 03:19 PM
I recently aquired a TEAC P-988 turntable. It had been used by one of my friends for a few years, and I noticed when i got it home that the belt was off. I have tired every way i can think of to get that belt in a way that will make the table functional. I'm new to this whole thing, can anyone tell me how to run that belt so that i can get my growing vinyl collection off the shelf? thanks...

WASTED DAYS

Woochifer
04-05-2005, 04:08 PM
On turntables that don't have the pulley exposed, you would typically wrap the belt around the rim on the turntable platter's underside. Then place the platter on the spindle, remove the mat, and rotate it until you see the pulley. At this point, you simply take the belt and stretch it over the pulley.

Other turntables I remember had automatic belt loaders. In those cases, you had to wrap the belt around the rim and then stretch it around a pin on the underside. Then when you place the platter back onto the spindle, you would just rotate the platter until the belt automatically loaded.

WastedDays
04-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks for your help, but your suggestions dont seem to work. It is an automatic turntable, but the pully type system inside seems alot more complex. There are 4 or 5 places it seems the band should run around, and you cant really stretch the band around the rim. There is probably a very simple soultion and im going to fell like an idiot when i finnaly get it up and running, but any more help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

WASTED DAYS

E-Stat
04-08-2005, 05:42 AM
I have tired every way i can think of to get that belt in a way that will make the table functional.
Well, Woochifer gave you my answer as well. I checked the TEAC website for a manual and found none. It did, however, list some customer service options:

http://www.teac.com/consumer_electronics/CustomerSupport.html

Why companies need to complicate a simple design is beyond me. The belt on both my old Aristion and current VPI are a cinch to work with.

rw

Woochifer
04-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks for your help, but your suggestions dont seem to work. It is an automatic turntable, but the pully type system inside seems alot more complex. There are 4 or 5 places it seems the band should run around, and you cant really stretch the band around the rim. There is probably a very simple soultion and im going to fell like an idiot when i finnaly get it up and running, but any more help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

WASTED DAYS

I have a feeling that since it's an automatic turntable, you got one with an idler wheel on it. My recollection is that changing belts on some of those turntables was a bit more complicated. You might need to track down a service manual or find a local old timer around town who knows a thing or two about how to thread belts around some of those older automatic decks.

WastedDays
04-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks for all the help. I've tried to contact TEAC's customer service a few times by e-mail, but they havent responded. Im going to keep on trying to figure this thing out. Thanks...

WASTED DAYS