Tuesday Tunes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Tunes

DarrenH
04-05-2005, 05:02 AM
Something new for me this week was Mofro - Lochloosa. Greasy delta blues. Reminds me a lot of an acoustic Black Crows. Lots of slide guitar and harmonica. Damn good album.

Other things:

Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny
Motorhead - Ace Of Spades
Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
Hawkwind - In The Hall Of The Mountain Grill. This was awesome. Now I see where the Ozric Tentacles got their influence. Lemmy plays bass and sings one track.

Marillion - Marbles
Marillion - Marillion.com
Marillion - Anoraknophobia

Jazz:

Art Blakey - A Night At Birdland vols 1 & 2
Donald Byrd - Bryd In Hand
Blue Mitchell - The Thing To Do

Darren

Edit: I should also add Mr and Mrs Hyfi's excellent Steely Dan comp. I like how this was put together in that it left out all "the hits" and included mostly deep album cuts. There's a couple of songs I would've made room for but this is still a fine comp.

tentoze
04-05-2005, 05:40 AM
Something new for me this week was Mofro - Lochloosa. Greasy delta blues. Reminds me a lot of an acoustic Black Crows. Lots of slide guitar and harmonica. Damn good album.

Somebody dropped a Mofro in my mailbox yesterday............:) (I hit the P.O. yesterday with an out-going).

Went looking for a coupla recent releases on the wk-end (Vic Chesnutt, for one) with no joy. Picked up a few used things instead- R. Hitchcock, Queen Elvis (didn't do much for me) and Moss Elixer (did catch me), Richard Davies, Telegraph (see 1st RH comment).

Most spinnage continues to be Magnolia Electric Company and Decemberists' latest releases. O, and that Andrew Bird thingy.

M Ward's Transistor Radio is very good, but I get irritated when artists decide to inject distortion into recordings for aht's sake.

Lots of old vinyl spun to check out a newly-acquired Denon TT last week.

All in all, nothing overwhelmingly exciting, other than new-old equipment flooding into the house.

Mike
04-05-2005, 06:07 AM
My listens for the last week or so include

The Bravery, Bravery, punk ska 80s influenced sound but all in all pretty good for a debut album

Kaiserchiefs, Employment, yet more 80s sounds but my current fave can’t seem to get this out of the car player at the moment

Joanna Newsom, Milk Eyed Mender, bizarre wonderful sounds of a ten year old Bjork with a harp

Pinback, Summer in Abbadon, thanks to you all who put me onto them but I need to get me some more of their stuff

Mercury Rev, Secret Migration
Drive By Truckers, Decoration Day
Bloc Party, Silent Alarm
Funeral, Arcade Fire
Rilo Kiley, More Adventurous
Lynnyrd Skynnyrd, first album remastered

And finally thanks to Davey for putting me onto an old gem
Mink De Ville, a two for one remastered CD Cabretta/Return to Magenta which is every bit as good as I hoped it would be. Timeless excellent late 70's R&B soulful latino rock which just passed me by at the time, top job on the remaster too.

Cheers
Mike

Troy
04-05-2005, 07:13 AM
New:
Eno- Another Green World. I like it, but not nearly as much as "Tiger Mountain." Too much slow and ambient.

Tears for Fears- Everybody Loves a Happy Ending. Ultra high gloss Beatles style pop. Antispetic.

Helmet of Gnats
IQ- 7th House
King Crimson- Construction of Light
Alice Cooper- Billion $ Babies
Symphonic Slam
Peter Gabriel 2
Rush Feedback
Bill Nelson's Red Noise
Some boots from Brad H.

Olivertmc
04-05-2005, 07:35 AM
John Coltrane - Live at Birdland

Beck - Guero

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm (finally - a great rhythm section!)

Decemberists - Picaresque

Santana - Caravanserai

The Zutons - Who Killed . . . .

Pedro the Lion - Achilles Heel

Grateful Dead - One from the Vault (something about the Dead and Springtime - perfect)

The Unicorns - Who Will Cut . . . .

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde (SACD)

Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose

Allman Bros. - Live at the Filmore East (SACD) - just amazing

DarrenH
04-05-2005, 07:49 AM
Somebody dropped a Mofro in my mailbox yesterday............:) (I hit the P.O. yesterday with an out-going).

Hey, that was fast. Hope you enjoy it. Looking forward to that Drive By. TIA.

King Crimson- Construction of Light

The worlds my oyster soup kitchen floor wax museum. Catchy song title dontcha think? Good album. The 3 cd live set titled Heavy Construkction from the 2000 tour is also pretty good if you're into live Krim.

newtrix1
04-05-2005, 08:21 AM
White Stripes - Elephant (still digging this one)
Joe Jackson - Look Sharp (remaster)
David Bowie - Young Americans
Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth
DMB - Before These Crowded Streets (my personal fav DM album)
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (still trying :( )
Cassandra Wilson - Songbook
Tragically Hip - Phantom Power

in the car:
Neil Young - Decade
Pink Floyd - WYWH

family roadtrip spins:
Roy Orbison - Black & White Night (soundtrack)
Shark Tale (soundtrack)
Mad About Mozart (sampler disc)

comps:
Classical Sampler
Daves American Indie Rock (dated 01-2000; is this the first comp I ever received from RR?)

MindGoneHaywire
04-05-2005, 08:40 AM
I've gotten a bunch of stuff in the past week I haven't hit yet...Clinic (not Client this time!), Petra Haden & Bill Frisell, the Miles Davis thing they're peddling at Starbucks, the Wonder Stuff's Escape From Rubbish Island, the Motley Crue 2-CD best-of, the soundtrack to Ray & the companion overflow collection, Crosby Stills & Nash Greatest Hits (much of which I'm well familiar with), the 2-CD best-of 10,000 Maniacs (mostly unfamiliar with them, and I'm skeptical, but I am willing to give it a listen), the Kaiser Chiefs, the Kills (sorry, Davey...thought it was a rec from you, but I honestly didn't remember details & somehow I tend to remember when you don't like something more frequently than I would something you like, because you come up with so many names I've never heard of that some of them get lost in the shuffle for me), a 2-CD Marshall Tucker Band anthology (also mostly unfamiliar beyond the obvious hit, and skeptical, but willing to listen), 2 David Bowie reissues of 1970s live albums (David Live & Stage), the new LCD Soundsystem, the most recent Ed Harcourt, a 2-CD Los Lobos best-of, World Party's Bang, the Elvis Costello Warner Bros years best-of, Queens Of The Stone Age, Crooked Fingers, new Solomon Burke, new Mars Volta, the best of Better Than Ezra, what looks to be a reissue of a Sting album I seem to remember got good reviews when it came out 20 years ago? Hell, why not. And a massive care package from Finch I also haven't gotten to, along with one from Brad. When the hell am I going to...

...make time for this stuff? What I did listen to: the new Beck, with the bonus tracks, and I offer my highest recommendation, provided you don't hate his music to begin with. More accessible than Odelay, but I think that's only because the world caught up to one of the most enigmatic talents of all time, derivative as heck yet somehow ahead of his time, and in a very good way. The presence of the Dust Brothers is obviously a significant factor. I've been listening to this heavily for more than two months, albeit in a slightly different form. Something damn, damn good will have to come along to displace this as my early pick for album of the year.

Dan Hicks & the Hot Licks--if anyone ever told me about this stuff & I didn't pay attention, forgive me. What a mistake that would've been. The sort of rootsy, folky Western Swing with a sense of humor that I love. Definitely have to check this guy's stuff out, and I feel like quite the pud for being ign'ant of him to this point. Yahoo.

Hopped Up! A very decent rockabilly band with a dang nice rec called Get Gone. The two Keren Ann albums, Nolita & Not Going Anywhere. The Paul Westerberg collection--Besterberg. Sweet Apple Pie--like it more & more every time I spin it.

Troy
04-05-2005, 08:49 AM
COntruction of Light
The worlds my oyster soup kitchen floor wax museum. Catchy song title dontcha think? Good album. The 3 cd live set titled Heavy Construkction from the 2000 tour is also pretty good if you're into live Krim.

Yeah, I do like that track, but the CD is just too dense and relentless for me. I liked Thrak and Power to Believe a LOT more.

Davey
04-05-2005, 09:21 AM
Daves American Indie Rock (dated 01-2000; is this the first comp I ever received from RR?)
Probably so ... just looked up your colossal review of that one and while the original thread is long lost due to all the software updates here, you did repost it later for a "first RR comp" thread, and it's still a fun read. Man, those were the days - thanks. Click here (http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF94035.php) for a fun review with comp tracklist here (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/comps.htm#American_Indie_Rock_1) :)

Some of my weekly playlist that I remember ...

Girls Against Boys - House of GVSB
Pinback- Blue Screen Life
Three Mile Pilot - Chief Assassin to the Sinister
Decemberists - Picaresque
Pixies - Doolittle
Black Mountain
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People

Stone
04-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque
Big Star - #1 Record
Big Star - Radio City
Shins - Oh, Inverted World
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
I pulled this off the shelf after hearing "Mountain Song" in some commercial (for a beer, I think). I think I need to get it on vinyl, and hopefully it has a bit fuller sound than the CD.

I mostly listened to a comp I made for an acquaintance. Mostly older stuff, but she's really happy with it, so I deem it a success.

Edit: I also listened to the following

Jim Clark's Stuck in the Eighties (With Me) Volume ? - I had this one out to listen to the Propaganda track and realized it also had When In Rome on it (which I had heard from watching Napoleon Dynamite a few times the past few weeks), so I spun all of disc 1. Good stuff on there, and most of it I don't have on CD anywhere else (and some of it not at all). I think I may have to get more Human League.

They Might Be Giants - Flood - This is a great one. I still like Lincoln better, but man, this is some fun stuff and one that is good to listen to with a kid, which I did.

NP: The Toasters - D.L.T.B.G.Y.D.

Woochifer
04-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Here what's currently shuffling up on my playlist, heavy on deep house this week:

Elvin Jones Jazz Machine - The Truth - Heard Live at the Blue Note
Haley & Muscle - Addicted to House
David Harness - Loveslapped
Todd Terry - Ready For A Day
Miles Davis - The Complete In A Silent Way Sessions (disc 1)
Ben Watt - Lazy Dog Volume 1
NuJazz: Italia

Swish
04-05-2005, 02:58 PM
that Sweet Apple Pie that J raved about, the new Decemberists and, crap, I can't remember what else I ordered. I'm sure it'll be good though.

Listening to the following:

Scissor Sisters - S/T - didya hear their version of "Comfortably Numb" that's a disco version sounding like "Stayin' Alive" from the BeeGees? It's a gas.

Grey Delisle - The Graceful Ghost

American Music Club - Love Songs for Patriots

Richard Thompson - Rumor and Sigh

There are more, but I just can't recall right now. I'm going to get some dinner.

Swish

Davey
04-05-2005, 03:23 PM
...the Kills (sorry, Davey...thought it was a rec from you, but I honestly didn't remember details & somehow I tend to remember when you don't like something more frequently than I would something you like, because you come up with so many names I've never heard of that some of them get lost in the shuffle for me)...
:)
Nothing to be sorry for. I mean, the place is called "Rave Recordings", afterall. I was just trying to build myself an escape hatch in case you think it sucks, which wouldn't surprise me. But you may like it too. Sometimes I forget that I'm talking to more than one person when I post here and not just the person I'm replying to. Although it seems like not much more than one person here lately. Pretty sloooooooooooowwwwwwwww :)

Boy, Petra Haden sure has been coming up a lot lately, what with the jazz roots from her dad (whom I have a couple albums from), or that last Twilight Singers album that a couple of us raved about, or the Who album I haven't yet heard that' sbeen getting tons of press, and now with the big indie darlings the Decemberists that all the cool people love (and let me tell you, I am cool ;)). She's becoming a star!

audiobill
04-05-2005, 05:02 PM
A fabulous week of music listening:

Ray Lamontagne -- digging this one more and more, as time goes by

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: Abattoir Blues -- need to spend more time with this one

The Honeydogs -- 10, 000 Years -- one of my favourites

Elliott Smith -- from a basement on the hill -- takes time to sink in that he'll no longer be giving us this great music. damn shame.

The Arcade Fire -- Funeral -- just keeps giving and giving

Sun Jammin' -- commercial comp -- just screams summer to me with such cheesy delights as "hot, hot, hot"; "lime in the cocconut"; "here for a good time"; and "bogey & bacall" -- just to name a few.

Cheers,
Bill

Dave_G
04-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Richard Pryor - Bicentennial N....r. This old lp tears me up, it is hilarious.

Steely Dan - Aja, on MFSL vinyl.

Gamma 1, 2, and 3 on vinyl. 3 is pretty killer, heavy on the synth.

I finally got the 4 STARZ reissues on cd. Ebay. 50 bucks. Ho hum. This stuff was great when I was 17 but now it's pretty weak. Plus the cd's sound way compressed, too.

Pallas - Beat the Drum. I absolutely love this band.

A Collage dvd.

Galahad - Sleepers. Yum Yum.

Pink Floyd - Pulse 4 lp set.

I have been playing vinyl again. I 86'ed the felt platter pad and have the lp on the glass platter on the Rega and the sound quality is way better. I even ordered an lp off of ebay, A Tubes lp.

Arena - Peppers Ghost. The most compelling thing about this is a line in 1 song that states " the hopeless appeal for her mercy" or something like that. Still growing on me as an album.

Got Collages "Moonshine" coming in on cd from Canada, can't wait for that pup.

Regards,

Dave

newtrix1
04-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Probably so ... just looked up your colossal review of that one and while the original thread is long lost due to all the software updates here, you did repost it later for a "first RR comp" thread, and it's still a fun read. Man, those were the days - thanks. Click here (http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF94035.php) for a fun review with comp tracklist here (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/comps.htm#American_Indie_Rock_1) :)

Yikes, I did go on didn't I? I can't beleive I still have a job, most of that mumbo-jumbo was written at work. Different atmosphere now, much less spare time. that was fun writing & reading again thanks for the re-re-post :)
A few of those songs did grow on me a bit since then, but a few dropped a little on the scale too, so it all evened out in the end.

ForeverAutumn
04-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Alice Cooper- Billion $ Babies

Oh, I love that disk. I'm going to have to pull it off the shelf and put it in the "to listen to" pile for this week. Payback for Whale Music. Thanks. ;)

Last week was insanely busy and didn't leave much time for music. This week is even worse. Here's what I remember listening to...

Amanda Marshall - S/T - Her best CD IMO.
Tragically Hip - Road Apples - an oldie but a goodie!
Queens of the Stoneage - Rated R - it's okay. I'm liking it but not loving it.
Queens of the Stoneage - Lullabies to Paralyze - I'm liking this a lot more than Rated R, but not as much as Songs for the Deaf. It still needs to grow on me a bit more so, who knows where it'll end up.

A yummy comp that Finchy sent me which took five weeks to get to me :eek: and will end up costing me money wisely invested in some new found bands.

There's more, but my brain is fried and I just don't have the brain power left to remember them. I need a nap.

JDaniel
04-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Here's what I remember:

Iris Dement - Infamous Angel (great album. I swear, the song Mama's Opry is one damn fine sentimental song)

Best of Sea Level

Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway

Zero 7 - Simple Things (mediocre at times, and at others just awesome. One of the females reminds me of Joss Stone)

John Doe - Forever Hasn't Happened Yet (New album, just released last week. Dave Alvin, Grant Lee Phillips, Neko Case, Cindy Lee Berryhill... I'm enjoying it alot.)

A Johnny Cash compilation

Friday Night In San Francisco - Al Dimeola, John McLaughlin & Paco Delucia - Live

Buddy Guy - Live - The Real Deal.

JD

Dusty Chalk
04-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Astralwerks New Music 05 comp that I picked up for free at the Radio 4 show.
Pianist 22 CD that came with the magazine for free.
Kompilation from Kranky -- some great stuff on here. Reminds me that the bass on Pan American's Quiet City is downright subterranean. For cheap.
Constellation compilation, for cheapish.

LOTW: actually paid good money for Planet P Project's 1931, and it wasn't wasted. The man has an incredible songwriting sense. Still got that political slant that Pink World had, and in this day and age, who can blame them? I mean, even a "party" group like Radio 4 said something about, "...I love playing this song in DC, because he is nearby." (Regarding "Stealing of a Nation". PS Is it just me, or do these guys steal straight out of the Joe Jackson Alike handbook?)

I don't remember what else. Oh yeah, Auf der Maur -- still a great album. And some Radio 4 and Phaser. (Phaser were surprisingly trad/non-shoegazer during their part of the show.)

Went and saw Sin City and Steamboy -- the two best movies of 2005 so far. Sin City looks like nothing else I've ever seen. Plus, it's ultraviolent, which is always good.

Ex Lion Tamer
04-06-2005, 03:52 AM
:)

Boy, Petra Haden sure has been coming up a lot lately, what with the jazz roots from her dad

So, her Dad is Charlie Haden? Cool. I have a couple albums too, and I've seen him at the Montreal Jazz Festival...superb show. His album "Haunted Heart" with his Quartet West is a favorite. I also have one of his "Montreal Tapes" discs, with Don Cherry and a drummer I can't remember right now. Don't like that one as much. First I hear of his daughter, though I guess Jay did mention that Who Sell Out album.

Pat D
04-06-2005, 05:38 AM
Horowitz and 18th c. Symphonies--That's most of it.

Horowitz, An Historic Return at Carnegie Hall. Vladimir Horowitz, piano. Columbia M2S 728, 2 LP set. As some of you may know, his Carnegie Hall concert on May 9, 1965, was his first in 12 years. He had taken some much needed rest from public performances after February 1953 and liked it so much he stopped performing. He did some recordings with Columbia after 1962, of course. The tickets were sold out within a couple of hours of going on sale. The concert was wonderful as reflected in the recordings and all accounts of it.

Horowitz in Concert, Recorded at his 1966 Carnegie Hall recitals. Columbia M2S 757, 2 LP set. More stunning playing.

Heinrich Biber, six sonatas for two trumpets, strings and continuo. Philip Jones and John Wilbraham, trumpets; Joshua Rifkin, The Sinfonia of London String Ensemble. Nonesuch LP H-71172. This has a very beautiful and warm sound.

The Legacy of the Mannheim School: Symphonies by Karl Stamitz, J. B. Wanhal (usually Vanhal nowadays), and Peer von Winter. Karl Ristenpart, Chamber Orchestra of the Sarre. Nonesuch LP H-71014. This was my first acquaintance with Vanhal (1739-1813), probably the first major self-employed composer, one who did without a wealthy patron, and a very competent composer he was, too.

Symphonies for Kings. Symphonies by Joseph Martin Kraus and Gaetano Brunetti. Newell Jenkins, Angelicum Orchestra of Milan. Nonesuch LP H-71156. This was my first acquaintance with J. M. Kraus (1756-1792), who worked for King Gustavus III of Sweden. The Brunetti symphony is a pleasant entertainment. I must say Jenkins and the Angelicum Orchestra seem to have the interpretive edge over the excellent Naxos recordings of Kraus symphonies, though the Naxos recordings are more realistic.

Vanhal, Symphonies, vol. 1. Uwe Grodd, Nicolaus Esterhazy Sinfonia. Naxos 8.554341.

J. M. Kraus, Symphonies, Vol. 1. Petter Sundkvist, Swedish Chamber Orchestra. Naxos 8.553734. This starts out with a great little Overture to a Voltaire play, Olympie.

Delius, Violin Concerto and other orchestra music. Philippe Djokie, violin; Georg Tintner, Symphony Nova Scotia. Naxos 8.557242. These seem to be quite good, though I haven't actually had the chance to sit down and concentrate on the performances. The violinist is very good.

Schubert, Symphonies Nos. 8 (Unfinished) and 9 (The Great C Major Symphony). Georg Tintner, Symphony Nova Scotia. Naxos 8.557234. These are committed performances by a small regional orchestra, not great, but I like them, although I think the orchestra needed more strings.

Davey
04-06-2005, 09:01 AM
So, her Dad is Charlie Haden? Cool. I have a couple albums too, and I've seen him at the Montreal Jazz Festival...superb show. His album "Haunted Heart" with his Quartet West is a favorite. I also have one of his "Montreal Tapes" discs, with Don Cherry and a drummer I can't remember right now. Don't like that one as much. First I hear of his daughter, though I guess Jay did mention that Who Sell Out album.
Yeah, from what I've read Bill Frisell used to play a lot with Charlie and knew about Petra and her sisters but never really heard her until recently when he was at her show and was blown away. They had kind of a mutual admiration thing going so kept in touch and then got together to do the album. Or something like that :)

Of course Charlie has played on tons of recordings, everything from Ornette Coleman's The Shape of Jazz to Come to Beck's Odelay and John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band so most of us probably have a few recordings with him. I always liked the Magico album with Jan Garbarek and Egberto Gismonti. Very nice recording too. Cool cover. I traded with someone here a couple years ago for Beyond the Missouri Sky (Short Stories) with Pat Metheny too. Nice but very subdued. A bit different than I expected and I haven't really played it much.

richmon
04-06-2005, 09:58 AM
Hawkwind - In The Hall Of The Mountain Grill. This was awesome. Now I see where the Ozric Tentacles got their influence. Lemmy plays bass and sings one track.

Recently picked up the Grill too, it's fast becoming my favorite Hawk disc, nudging out In Search of Space. Beware the Hawkwind DVD put out by Classic Rock Productions, it snorkels hippo sack imo.

Other things I've been checking out my new Conrad Johnson amp with- (ain't I uptown?):

Marillion 'Fugazi' - Less proggy and more accessable than other Fish Marillion albums, need more spins to form opinion.
Richard Thompson 'The old kit bag' - his voice keeps me from becoming a big fan.
Oscar Peterson 'Live at the Blue note' - this is my kind of jazz, the cool school. What a piano player.

KEXPMF
04-06-2005, 11:35 AM
iTunes is making money (on me at least).

And I just bought the new Beck online. Though haven't listened yet. Time. Ugh. But upon hearing a 3rd track that I loved on the Seattle radio station, and numerous reviews comparing it to Odelay (though they say it's not as good).... I know I'll like it. "not as good as Odelay" is still pretty darn good to me! :cool:

Here are my singles du jour:
Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.
Kasabian - Processed Beats
Out Hud - It's For You
LCD Soundsystem - Yeah
Elefant - Misfit
The Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #2
The Ditty Bops - Ooh La La

KEXPMF
04-06-2005, 11:47 AM
oh! how could I forget this, I saw this band last night at Irving Plaza.

Phoenix - Too Young

here's a few more songs:
Bloc Party - Price of Gas
M.I.A. - Bucky Done Gun

speaking of Mofro - I just heard "The Wrong Side" - great song!!

DarrenH
04-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Recently picked up the Grill too, it's fast becoming my favorite Hawk disc, nudging out In Search of Space. Beware the Hawkwind DVD put out by Classic Rock Productions, it snorkels hippo sack imo.

Yeah, it was the 2001 UK remaster with bonus tracks. Only $13. This is my first Hawkwind cd and I'm really liking this a lot. In fact, I was going to buy In Search Of Space next....the 2001 UK remaster with bonus tracks too.

I receive a Classic Rock Productions catalog a couple of times a year. I ordered a Mostly Autumn cd from their website a couple of years ago so now I'm on their mailing list. Anyway, looking through the pages I noticed a ton of DVD's from Uriah Heep, Hawkwind, Mostly Autumn, Asia and others and I often wondered about the quality. I had no intention of ordering anything as the prices were in UK Pounds and the current exchange rate to U.S. Dollar would've meant paying $40 for a DVD plus shipping but it was fun to look at.

Darren

DarrenH
04-06-2005, 01:04 PM
speaking of Mofro - I just heard "The Wrong Side" - great song!!

If you liked that song then I see no reason for you to not like the album. I bought Lochloosa on a rec myself and I'm really liking it.

Darren

richmon
04-07-2005, 06:08 AM
I was going to buy In Search Of Space next....the 2001 UK remaster with bonus tracks too.
Darren
If you like Grill, ISOS will be right up your alley. It actually has a few songs where the lyrics will stick in your head more, but otherwise very similar to Grill. Some think Warrior on the Edge of Time is their highpoint, it's in 3rd place for me. Not as consistant as the above two, not as trancey.
Back in the day, the album cover for ISOS folded out to make a hawkbird thingie, very cool. Warrior on the edge album folded out to make a shield. Wonder whatever became of my copy of those albums.
Funny how Hawkwind albums have alot more staying power than Ozric albums, even tho the musicianship on the Ozrics is superior.

Hyfi
04-07-2005, 06:45 AM
Edit: I should also add Mr and Mrs Hyfi's excellent Steely Dan comp. I like how this was put together in that it left out all "the hits" and included mostly deep album cuts. There's a couple of songs I would've made room for but this is still a fine comp.

Thanks for the nice words again, Darren. I have been so busy with school that I hardly have time to listen to anything let alone read all these posts. It so happens I am recovering from yet another set of surgeries and also have a few days off for end of phase.

Your nice comments made me spin the ole Steely Dan comp yesterday. Last Wednesday, the day before I went into the hospital, I recieved a new set of outdoor speakers that I promply installed before losing the use of my arm for a few months. I bought a pair of Athena AS-06 speakers. I highly recomend these speaks for anyone looking for outdoor speakers and don't want the Polks or Boston. Not too many choices in stores. I found these for $175 w/free shipping online. Best Buy has them on sale for $250.

Things I have been listening to are:

Kaki King....thanks Finch
Govt. Mule...Various
Annie Haslam / Rennaisance & Al Stewart....in memory of the concert I missed last week while in the hospital.

Comps to get me ready for surgery were:
Music for Quiet Moments set by Chip
Deep Peace and Quiet Moments comps by Demetrio

My own Overplayer/Underplayer comp
Misc. Bruford
Allman Bros Live at the Filmore

A few others but the Percocets are clouding my memory.

Hyfi

DarrenH
04-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the nice words again, Darren. I have been so busy with school that I hardly have time to listen to anything let alone read all these posts. It so happens I am recovering from yet another set of surgeries and also have a few days off for end of phase.

Your nice comments made me spin the ole Steely Dan comp yesterday. Last Wednesday, the day before I went into the hospital, I recieved a new set of outdoor speakers that I promply installed before losing the use of my arm for a few months. I bought a pair of Athena AS-06 speakers. I highly recomend these speaks for anyone looking for outdoor speakers and don't want the Polks or Boston. Not too many choices in stores. I found these for $175 w/free shipping online. Best Buy has them on sale for $250.

Hyfi

You're welcome Brian. It's really a good comp and I listen to it at least once a month.

Surgeries? Another set of them? Wow, what happened to your arm? I hope it's nothing serious. Here's hoping for a fast recovery.

Does your receiver have multi-room capabilities or did you use a separate amp for these outdoor speaks. I'd like to do that someday but first I need to build me a deck.

Take care.

DarrenH
04-07-2005, 10:38 AM
If you like Grill, ISOS will be right up your alley. It actually has a few songs where the lyrics will stick in your head more, but otherwise very similar to Grill. Some think Warrior on the Edge of Time is their highpoint, it's in 3rd place for me. Not as consistant as the above two, not as trancey.
Back in the day, the album cover for ISOS folded out to make a hawkbird thingie, very cool. Warrior on the edge album folded out to make a shield. Wonder whatever became of my copy of those albums.
Funny how Hawkwind albums have alot more staying power than Ozric albums, even tho the musicianship on the Ozrics is superior.

Ozrics have no vocals and I think that makes a difference in the long run. I love the Ozrics but after awhile they start to sound the same from album to album.

Hmm, I'll have to keep Warrior in mind too. What do you think of Space Ritual and Doremi Fasol Latido? Both feature Lemmy on bass. I'd like get them as well, and I probably will anyway, but I'd like read your comments if you have any.

Thanks.

nobody
04-08-2005, 06:20 AM
been too broke to grab much new lately, but I finally broke down and broke out the Best Buiy card and grabbed a few things to mention...

Yup, the new <b>Beck</b> kicks serious ass. It's pretty much a distillation of his work up until now. Nothing much as far as new sounds, but lots of past sounds put together in new ways. I grabbed the deluxe package and the bonus tracks are really good, all 7 of them including remixes wirth Boards of Canada, Ryksopp and Dizzee Rascal. The video stuff is OK, and the total package is great with a ton of illustrations. I wanted the vinyl, but the bonus videos and extra tracks made me grab this pack.

Also grabbed <b>Moby: Hotel</b>, which I think is OK, but nothing special. Rather mundane by his standards, and I think I like the extra tossed in ambient CD more than the main feature. I would have really liked to have seen him go all out with the ambient side and maybe release a full on ambient CD only for this one. It could have been a nice move to relieve some of the pressure that's mounted on him over the last few years. Anyway, still some decent tracks on the main CD as well. Maybe more will grow on me over time. More traditionally rock based with electronic flourishes than his previous stuff.

Something I picked up mostly for the wife but ended up enjoying a ton myself is the new live <b>Morrisey</b> disc. He trots out a nice selection of his past solo stuff and Smiths tunes along with some of the stronger tracks off his latest, which I have concluded is about the best solo work he's put out anyway. Interesting laid back versions with pithy little comments between songs. It's almost like a lounge version of Morrisey, which works wonderfully. He stats out sounding a bit hoarse, but he picks it up as he goes along. If you're a fan, great stuff and worth a listen.

Well, that's all for now. Just stuck with a few safe picks. No vinyl at Best Buy, so I grabbed a couple with bonus stuff that wouldn't be on the vinyl anyway and needed to grab the Morrisey on CD for the wife anyway, but I may still have to grab the Beck on vinyl when I see it.

Mike
04-08-2005, 07:05 AM
Also grabbed <b>Moby: Hotel</b>, which I think is OK, but nothing special. Rather mundane by his standards, and I think I like the extra tossed in ambient CD more than the main feature. I would have really liked to have seen him go all out with the ambient side and maybe release a full on ambient CD only for this one. It could have been a nice move to relieve some of the pressure that's mounted on him over the last few years. Anyway, still some decent tracks on the main CD as well. Maybe more will grow on me over time. More traditionally rock based with electronic flourishes than his previous stuff.

I almost picked up the new Moby last night but they didn't have the 2 CD set with the ambient disc which was the one I wanted so I'll hang on, from what I've heard it sounds ok nothing groundbreaking but still pretty solid.

One I did pick up though was the latest Mercury Rev - Secret Migration, now this is good well for me anyway considering I wasn't a big fan before but after hearing a track on Davey's last comp which I liked I though I'd give it a try. Beats me why they have given this a UK/Europe release before the US it just seems to promote file swapping to me but I'm sure record companies know what they are doing...

Anyway it's a great record with a really approachable sound (which means it probably won't appeal to long term fans) full of lush soundscapes and a good production to boot. They seem to have discovered a real rhythm section in the band and the whole sound is one of an upbeat band enjoying themselves.

Cheers
Mike