Saw "Sin City" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Saw "Sin City"

Defshep
04-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Got to see it last night. Ranks right up there with the first time I watched Tim Burton's "Batman". Very cool visuals...One of the most inventive films I've seen since, well, Batman. Fine performances all around. Standout acting from Mickey Rourke and Bruce Willis. You just gotta see it! Decent storytelling, but it's all about style over substance. A cult classic - for adults. Don't bring the kids, it's definitely deserving of it's "R" rating. Graphic violence, nudity, and just downright disturbing at times.
It's got it all! Gun-toting, g-string wearing kung fu hookers! Cannibalistic priests! Gratuitous penis-ripping, penis stabbing, penis shooting, eye gouging, head splitting, neck slitting...etc. Joe Bob would say "Check it out!"
Run time around 2hrs10min.

dean_martin
04-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Wow! Sounds wicked. Unfortunately, a lot of self-righteous reviewers are trashin' it saying that if you liked the Kill Bill movies, you'll like it (as if that's a bad thing). If not, then stay home. These are the same cretins who warned us about the violence in the KBs, but praised it for its style. They can't see the big picture now. Robert Rodriguez with Tarrantino consulting on exploring the "film noir" style sounds very intriguing.

Defshep
04-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Yeah, pretty much. If you hated Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, the Desperado movies & From Dusk 'Till Dawn (my personal favorite of 'em - can't explain why I love this movie!), you'll hate this one. Oh, I forgot - Frodo EATS people! It's really just silly fun that completely entertains.

audiobill
04-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the early review on this one!!

I, too, have wondered whether I'd like it or not. Now I definitely have to go and see it.

Loved all of T and R's work........ and your reference to Burton's "Batman" seals it for me.

Thanks-a-ton,

audiobill

itgbkj
04-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Talk about gore and stuff... You've got to watch EXISTENZ. it's a nice film too! Macabre and good twist in the story.

Defshep
04-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Existenz, huh? I'll have to take a look at that one.
More on Sin City. Matt Drudge (Drudge Report) is appalled at the use of religious imagery, especially showing it to be corrupt at high levels. Who didn't already know that? Look at the evangelical big shots, the child raping priests, and so on! For the most part, organized religion has been hijacked. But that's just my humble, conspiratorial opinion. This film may be more true to life than we'd like to think...Nah, its just really damn cool!
If you have an open mind, you'll love this film. If you don't, consider yourself warned.

-vance

AVMASTER
04-05-2005, 10:24 AM
i enjoyed this movie not only for the stories and visuals but the way it was put together, just like the storyboards in the comics. By the way, wasn't the role and/or story Mickey
Rouke portraited done b-4, by him in another film????????

Kam
04-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Havent seen SinCity yet, but given from the trailers, figured this was the closest to his character in Angel Heart. Am i right?? or were you asking cuz you didn't know the answer?

hope to see SinCity this week!!

peace
k2

AVMASTER
04-05-2005, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=Kam]Havent seen SinCity yet, but given from the trailers, figured this was the closest to his character in Angel Heart. Am i right?? or were you asking cuz you didn't know the answer?

no it wasn't Angel Heart, some other flick in which he was disfigured---wish i could remember the name but i recall a very similair role to the one in Sin City

Kam
04-06-2005, 12:40 PM
[QUOTE=Kam]Havent seen SinCity yet, but given from the trailers, figured this was the closest to his character in Angel Heart. Am i right?? or were you asking cuz you didn't know the answer?

no it wasn't Angel Heart, some other flick in which he was disfigured---wish i could remember the name but i recall a very similair role to the one in Sin City

hmm.. ok, guess #2 is going with Year of the Dragon, where he plays the cop Stanley who in charge of chinatown inspite of hating asians. not sure if this was before or after his boxing career or car wreck that gave him his natural mug.

AVMASTER
04-08-2005, 08:37 AM
hmm.. ok, guess #2 is going with Year of the Dragon, where he plays the cop Stanley who in charge of chinatown inspite of hating asians. not sure if this was before or after his boxing career or car wreck that gave him his natural mug.

did a search on IMDB, the movie was "Homeboy "; Year of the Dragon was good but aside from Sin City the best role from Mr. Rourke was in " Barfly "