Jamo or Dynaudio [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jamo or Dynaudio

johny747
04-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Hi All!
Planning to upgrade my floorstanding speakers. Which is better? Have listened to the Jamo. Howz the Dynaudio to listen to??

icarian
04-04-2005, 11:11 AM
johny747,
I am a big fan of dynaudio, and can say that they are an absolute pleasure to listen to. i have the audience 52 which is a bookshelf in their cheapest line, but they are still around $900. so depending on your budget you could look at the audience 72 & 82 which sound great, or you could move up into the contuor line which has some truly amazing speakers. one things about the danes is that they are fairly hard to drive, so you will need some power to really make them sing. Good luck!
Icarian

Florian
04-04-2005, 12:50 PM
I can recommend Dynaudio too from what i heard at a dealer and a show. Also they have a great build quality unlike some 135K $ Audio Note speaker one certain member would like to sleep with.

LOL, anyways i just had to say that.

The Dynaudios are nice but in my opinion need to be mated with a AMP that has some "spice", so i would stay away from Rotel, NAD and CA. Try a Shanling, Pathos, or small used Burmester. Something with SPICE ;-)

itgbkj
04-05-2005, 08:00 PM
I heard good reviews on Dynaudio. Jamo... hmmm... You know, there was this floor standing set of Jamo Speakers which was put on sale being the last unit in some audiophile shop in my country - they were selling it for only $125 dollars. Dynaudio, if I am not mistaken, costs thrice as much over a pair of Jamo.

johny747
04-05-2005, 08:20 PM
Hi,
I happened to listen to the Klipsch RF7. They were powered by a not so popular amp(chinese make). However the speakers did not sound that impressive. Do you think it was the amplifier. I'm planning to drive them with a NAD S300. Is it a good combination

DGillies
04-05-2005, 08:31 PM
What is your partnering equipment and what type of music do you like, would be my first questions. This will impact on your final choice.

I have just purchased a pair of Dynaudio's Audience 82 series in the newer real wood veneer and am very happy with them, even though they are currently running on some old generic cable while I get my TMC's re-terminated.

I auditioned the 72SE also, but found it was trying a little too hard to sound like a bigger speaker. I also tried the Energy Veritas 2.3i, Monitor Audio GR20, Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home and heard the JMLab Electra 926 briefly. All of these are great speakers.

I find the 82 to be a speaker that can 'sneak up on you'. What I mean by this is that you can listen to it and nothing immediateley stands out or slaps you in the face. Then you realise that what you are listening to is not meant to do that either and that the speaker is doing its job and not interfering with the music. Change music and you can have instruments or synthesizers grab you by the throat if that is what the intention of the music is.

I agree that these speakers like a bit of drive behind them, but my Rotel RB1070 power amp at 130W/Ch is doing a fine job. I think at this price point your source can make a big difference to the overall presentation

Aric M L
04-05-2005, 08:43 PM
My vote goes flat out dynaudio

johny747
04-05-2005, 08:46 PM
I mainly listen to jazz, rock(not heavy metal), country. I would be either using a Krell 400xi or a NAD S300. I'm yet to listen to Dynaudio's(the dealer is setting up his showroom here).
The Klipsch's which I listened to, RF 7, which are really big in appearence did not sound just right. The reason for this, either they were powereed by an underpowered amplifier(CAV-Chinese Make which I have not heard of) or this was the first time i was listening to 2 way speakers. Klipsch owners need you assistance
In your opinion folks which is better for Music - 3 Way or 2 Way.
My budget for the speakers, around $2000

McFly
04-06-2005, 08:18 AM
I heard good reviews on Dynaudio. Jamo... hmmm... You know, there was this floor standing set of Jamo Speakers which was put on sale being the last unit in some audiophile shop in my country - they were selling it for only $125 dollars. Dynaudio, if I am not mistaken, costs thrice as much over a pair of Jamo.

Buddy, obviously, you haven't looked too far into Jamo. Yes, Jamo has entry level speakers - just like everyone does. But they also produce blow-your mind (and budget) speakers. Find a high end retailer of Jamo and take a listen to the D8 series. Their D450's are also amazing and at a lower price point. Hell their E7 series just won a bunch of awards for quality (http://www.jamo.com/Default.asp?ID=2250&M=Shop&PID=5791&ProductID=17591) yes I know that this is a biased link, but it still has good information.

Jamo got my money for good reason. So before you say stupid things like they only make speakers that retail for $125, take a look at what they really produce, then listen to them. If you still don't like them, thats fine with me. But before you judge anything, become educated on it.

A-Audiophile
04-06-2005, 09:19 AM
Hi All!
Planning to upgrade my floorstanding speakers. Which is better? Have listened to the Jamo. Howz the Dynaudio to listen to??

Dynaudio....hands down. Just make sure you have some good components up stream and plenty of power.

A-Audiophile
04-06-2005, 09:44 AM
Jamo got my money for good reason. So before you say stupid things like they only make speakers that retail for $125, take a look at what they really produce, then listen to them. If you still don't like them, thats fine with me. But before you judge anything, become educated on it.

Many people relate cost to value/perfomance....with that said, if Jamo sold the exact same $125 speaker for $1,250 people would automatically think it sounds better. This is what has kept many ultra expensive companies alive today.

No doubt Jamo does make some very good sounding speakers...I have heard them myself....BUT Dynaudio makes the best cone driver speakers on the planet...they end the need or desire to replace speakers in your audio set-up.

In fact if someone has electonics that sound bright or dry they might not be happy with Dynaudio, because the Danes will give you exactly what you have them connected too....while other speakers heavy bass or "unique sonic signiture" might be just what is needed to balance the short comings of the electronic sources.

I would venture to say that most Dynaudio speaker owners either have or are looking to upgrade their source components.

McFly
04-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Many people relate cost to value/perfomance....with that said, if Jamo sold the exact same $125 speaker for $1,250 people would automatically think it sounds better. This is what has kept many ultra expensive companies alive today.

No doubt Jamo does make some very good sounding speakers...I have heard them myself....BUT Dynaudio makes the best cone driver speakers on the planet...they end the need or desire to replace speakers in your audio set-up.

In fact if someone has electonics that sound bright or dry they might not be happy with Dynaudio, because the Danes will give you exactly what you have them connected too....while other speakers heavy bass or "unique sonic signiture" might be just what is needed to balance the short comings of the electronic sources.

I would venture to say that most Dynaudio speaker owners either have or are looking to upgrade their source components.

Points taken. Especially about the view that high $ = amazing sound (just look at Nuance - if you haven't encountered them, count yourself lucky!). However, it should be noted that any serious audiophile (those who would buy Dynaudio, B&W, Jamo, the list goes on and on), would always want to upgrade their components. And any quality speaker that is hooked up to these components will sound better because of them. I know that there are way better speakers apart from Jamo - they are not the be-all and end-all. But they are not the crap company that takes poor sounding, cheap speakers, marks up the price and tries to pass them off as 'high end'. To say that all they are are simply $125 speakers that people charge more money for is plain ignorant. But as long as jonny747 (or anyone) goes home happy with his speakers because they sound the best to him, that is all that matters in the end.

A-Audiophile
04-07-2005, 06:53 AM
But as long as jonny747 (or anyone) goes home happy with his speakers because they sound the best to him, that is all that matters in the end.

True your own personal happy ears is all that matters....and what makes them happy will be different for everyone. Its all about synergy...finding the right balance of gear that makes you happy

RGA
04-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Points taken. Especially about the view that high $ = amazing sound (just look at Nuance - if you haven't encountered them, count yourself lucky!). However, it should be noted that any serious audiophile (those who would buy Dynaudio, B&W, Jamo, the list goes on and on), would always want to upgrade their components. And any quality speaker that is hooked up to these components will sound better because of them. I know that there are way better speakers apart from Jamo - they are not the be-all and end-all. But they are not the crap company that takes poor sounding, cheap speakers, marks up the price and tries to pass them off as 'high end'. To say that all they are are simply $125 speakers that people charge more money for is plain ignorant. But as long as jonny747 (or anyone) goes home happy with his speakers because they sound the best to him, that is all that matters in the end.

Actually I thought Jamo has done a respectable job with their cheaper speakers as well - not everyone is going to like them so what that applies to everything. I would disagree with the poster who said that "Dynaudio makes the best cone driver speakers on the planet." I have heard them too. What matter si how the poster is going to hear them and SPECIFICALLY which model. Dynaudio has a different sound than Jamo -- which one is the right sound for this poster? Who Knows but him?

icarian
04-07-2005, 09:45 PM
RGA,
Who makes a better "conventional" driver speaker than the Evidence Master? I know many people feel that the best systems are ones based on hyper efficent speakers that utilize low watt amps with simple signal paths, but the dane master seems to be right their at the top of the list. Just wondering what you think is better. And my vote still goes Dynaudio over Jamo.
Icarian.

RGA
04-07-2005, 10:19 PM
I don't think it's going to be an issue as to what is better -- I would take Dynaudio over Jamo as well based on the models I've heard - but again that still doesn't mean everyone will (and then that doesn;t mean there isn;t anything I would not take over the Dane) -- nor I suspect has everyone heard every flagship speaker in every speaker line. I have heard many systems that go up over $150,000.00 to which I preferred one costing around $50k and that is true of price points all over the place speakers for $700.00 that I like far more than some costing over $2,000.

There is also a system goal of the individual (the kind of reproduced sound one is after)-- it is clear what mine consists of and probably clear too that I would choose something other than what Dynaudio is doing -- still great stuff mind you, but best is a highly relative term and best to me and you are obviously not the same thing -- luckily there are lots of choices. I would agree that Dynaudio has been on my list of finalists a number of times.

Also not sure what you mean by "conventional" driver speaker.

icarian
04-07-2005, 11:28 PM
I would agree that best is pretty much impossible to determine, i was just wondering about some of the stuff out there that you liked better. What i ment by conventional driver was a speaker that uses cones and domes as opossed to horns,ribbons etc.
Icarian

A-Audiophile
04-08-2005, 07:21 AM
Dynaudio has a different sound than Jamo -- which one is the right sound for this poster? Who Knows but him?

I think this is the whole point, Jamo does have a characteristic sound...whether its good or bad depends on the listener. Dynaudio sounds like what it is connected too.... While it all rests on the person and their personal tastes, Dynaudio has does a great job IMO of building true transducers of audio signals.

Some other speaker brands with a characteristic sound is Martin Login, Definative Technology, Thiel and even Magnapan. I happen to like the sonic signitures of Maggies so I would buy them but what I really want it a speaker to disappear. :)

RGA
04-08-2005, 03:52 PM
I think this is the whole point, Jamo does have a characteristic sound...whether its good or bad depends on the listener. Dynaudio sounds like what it is connected too.... While it all rests on the person and their personal tastes, Dynaudio has does a great job IMO of building true transducers of audio signals.

Some other speaker brands with a characteristic sound is Martin Login, Definative Technology, Thiel and even Magnapan. I happen to like the sonic signitures of Maggies so I would buy them but what I really want it a speaker to disappear. :)

Yes but my speakers some feel have a characteristic sound but changes wildly with the equipment it hooked up to...so maybe the speakers are also windows to the equipment. The trouble with this is that it makes an allusion that Dynadio is somehow more accurate -- I don't really buy that nor do I think it's truly the most important thing because no one can truly know for sure anyway.

Owners of speakers will of course defend what they have as best or most accurate and I have been no different -- each company will go on about why they are msot accurate or should be bought etc. I grow weary of the debate where everyone wants to somehow justify their choice. You have some who buy speakers and then cite NRC measurments that some study says what speakers are rpeferred generally -- as if democracy was the judge of what is good or bad (that is scary), then others like me who are self-appointed Golden Ears tried to dictate what everyone else should like.

I can tell people what the best "system" I have ever heard is and why I like it and the music I used to judge it...I have heard systems that sound more techy sounding and other systems that sound warmer or more forgiving, some with deeper bass, some with larger scale, some that can play louder etc. In the end though one has to buy something they like.

Another poster once told me when talking about the system i had selected that he personally would rather have a system that was State of the Art in one single area even if it fell apart in 4 other areas. Whereas I'd rather the speaker that does all 5 very well but doesn't quite reach what the other speaker did in that one area. For me, I'd be put off by a speaker like the one he was after because while I could show that aspect off to friends and say "isn't that awesom" I would gain no personal enjoyment when just listening for myself. Each to their own.

DGillies
04-11-2005, 12:00 AM
I mainly listen to jazz, rock(not heavy metal), country. I would be either using a Krell 400xi or a NAD S300. I'm yet to listen to Dynaudio's(the dealer is setting up his showroom here).
The Klipsch's which I listened to, RF 7, which are really big in appearence did not sound just right. The reason for this, either they were powereed by an underpowered amplifier(CAV-Chinese Make which I have not heard of) or this was the first time i was listening to 2 way speakers. Klipsch owners need you assistance
In your opinion folks which is better for Music - 3 Way or 2 Way.
My budget for the speakers, around $2000

I'm with you on the Klipsch. I auditioned a pair about a year ago hooked up to the same power amp as mine and a similar pre. They are not a bad speaker, but the large horn loaded tweeter takes a bit of getting used to. They seem to be a bit fussier about positioning and room acoustics. Either of the amps you mentioned will be plenty for the Dynaudio's or any speaker as both have plenty of power.

As for 2way vs 3way, both can sound great. It comes down to the crossover and cabinet engineering as well as the quality of the drivers used. I would not discount a speaker ecause it is only a 2way design. Some speakers are now two and a half way - where two mid/bass units are used and one is rolled off lower than the other.

One point about the Dynaudio's is that you will only need to single wire them, because none of their speakers are biwirable. They spend a little more in the crossover and the theory is that they would rather their customers get a higher quality single run of cable than get lower quality biwire cable for the same money. They also build everything in house, even cabinets.

Just keep listening to different products, eventually one or two will stand out from the rest.