Multi Channel Audio Help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Multi Channel Audio Help

Rock789
04-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Hello,

I am begining my search on multi channel audio, and so far have not learned much.
The place where I got my speakers and receiver says sacd is the way to go, and suggested a Marantz DV6500 for $550 (universal player), or an SA8260 for $1000 (sacd player).

I figured I would take my time for this just as I did for the rest of my system. so any advice on players, universal players / specific players, would be helpful.

Also the guys at this specific shop said playing dueldisks void warrenties on some players

thanks for any info
Mike

paul_pci
04-03-2005, 11:22 AM
While universal players are considered jack of all trades, master of none, they are certainly the cheaper and more convenient route to go. Two models to consider would be Yamahas DVDC750 or Denon's DVD 2910. These are not the only universal players around, and I think there are cheaper ones too, but they are fairly popular in these parts. Also, I'd be suspicious of some guy that blanketly states SACD is the way to go. That $1K SACD player is the way to go for him to cash in on you. Try out both DVD-A and SACD and you'll decide which, if either, you like better.

shokhead
04-03-2005, 11:54 AM
While universal players are considered jack of all trades, master of none, they are certainly the cheaper and more convenient route to go. Two models to consider would be Yamahas DVDC750 or Denon's DVD 2910. These are not the only universal players around, and I think there are cheaper ones too, but they are fairly popular in these parts. Also, I'd be suspicious of some guy that blanketly states SACD is the way to go. That $1K SACD player is the way to go for him to cash in on you. Try out both DVD-A and SACD and you'll decide which, if either, you like better.

About a $300 diff in price between the C750 and the 2910 i think. The C750 is a changer and plays about every disc there is.$299 at good guys.

N. Abstentia
04-03-2005, 12:43 PM
The Marantz is definitely a good choice, as I have the DV-6400 and I couldn't find anything I liked better for anywhere near the price. I tried all the usuals..Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer...something about the sound of the Marantz but it ahead of the others for me.

Also since it's a universal player, you won't be 'stuck' with just SACD as it also does DVD-A. I'm also curious about anyones sanity that suggests one format over the other. Very few titles are available on both formats so there's no reason to limit yourself to just one.

toenail
04-03-2005, 02:47 PM
I'll chime in with a vote for the $149 Toshiba 4960. No idea how it performs against the others mentioned but I'm very happy with DVD, SACD, and CD playback. It doesn't recognize 2 channel layer on certain DVD-A's, not sure if this is the player or poor flagging on the disc. It's also highly moddable.

Check here for info

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=12613

shokhead
04-03-2005, 03:36 PM
The Marantz is definitely a good choice, as I have the DV-6400 and I couldn't find anything I liked better for anywhere near the price. I tried all the usuals..Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer...something about the sound of the Marantz but it ahead of the others for me.

Also since it's a universal player, you won't be 'stuck' with just SACD as it also does DVD-A. I'm also curious about anyones sanity that suggests one format over the other. Very few titles are available on both formats so there's no reason to limit yourself to just one.

I dicided on one over the other,why?

N. Abstentia
04-03-2005, 05:37 PM
I dicided on one over the other,why?

That's kinda like saying "from now on I'm going to only date blond women".

Nice I guess, but what about the brunettes and redheads? No reason to limit yourself.

shokhead
04-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Well i wanted a DVD-A and SACD changer. I can count how many there is to choose from on one hand. Had the C750 but a couple of things bothered me about it so i returned it. Well in order to have more to choose from i had to decide on one format and SACD's hybride's were good for my car also,thats how i decided. So i had many more to look at and good a prety good sony. How that sound? :D

Rock789
04-03-2005, 07:10 PM
thanks everyone for the help
I'll check out the yamaha dvdc750, keeping the marantz dv6500 in mind...
I was told the marantz has a 3 year warrenty, does anyone know what warrenty yamaha's have?

thanks,

Mike

dontbhatin01
04-03-2005, 07:51 PM
I just got the integra dpc 8.5 and I love this player. It plays dvd- a, sacd and just about everything else. the sound is incredible for the price. When I listened to it for the first time it was like I baught a brand new system, thats how good this dvd player is.I think that everyone should have this player.I got it at World wide Stereo in Mountgomeryville Pa. for $599.99 on sale from $700.00. Oh it also comes with a three year warrenty. GOOD LUCK

nightflier
04-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Don't even bother with an SACD-only or DVD-A only player. Get a universal unit, instead. Like what N.Abstentia said about blondes, it's just too limiting... As a matter of fact, see that your unit also plays the slightly thicker DD disks as well. From everything I've read, this looks like the new standard all the manufacturers are pushing for the future...

Thats said, there are now a lot more choices when shopping for a universal player than there were just a year or two ago, so take some time to find on that you like. I have a Sony SACD/DVD player, and while the unit has not hickup'ed yet, I am not very confident in the plastic construction throughout. I have evaluated higher end CD, DVD, Universal players from Onkyo, N'joe/Marantz, Denon, NAD, Sony, Cambridge, Pereaux, Shanling, and several others and the higher price does not always translate to better construction, insulated motor noise, and quality (read: heavier) innards. Make sure the unit is solidly built and can withstand the wear & tear you will be putting on it over the next few years.

While this has been covered in other discussions, I'm going to beat the dead horse a bit. Buying a cheaper unit every two years may be more economical, but a more expensive and well built unit will give you more time to enjoy your disks, get to know your music and the other components in your system. It won't require you to re-do all the research, shop for months, and reconfigure everything in your system to get optimal performance like the last time. It is far more enjoyable to settle in with a solid & reliable unit for several years.

Anyhow, that's just my opinion.

kexodusc
04-09-2005, 04:03 AM
I'm going to back up Toenail on this. As many here know I recently bought 2 players (I have 2 systems), the Yamaha c750 and Toshiba 4960.
From purely an audio perspective, let me assure you that there is no substantial difference between these two players despite the Yamaha costing 3 times as much. In fact, I use the cheaper player in my 2-channel (and higher-end) system. Sounded the same to me, if there is a difference it's very small.
The video player in the Yamaha is a shade above that in the Toshiba, but not really worth the extra $170 or so in my books...If the Yamaha is a 10, the Toshiba is a solid 9, and a much better value, especially if you're just looking for a stand alone universal player.

The Yammie is probably a step up in quality, but there hasn't been any issues with this Toshiba. It's a good buy, IMO.

If you're looking for a solid video playing, cd-changing universal player, then yeah the Yamaha is a probably a better buy. But it doesn't really sound any better...I suspect the DAC's are both pretty solid in these. A great inexpensive way to get into hi-rez or multi-channel audio!!!

If you search some of my older posts from a year or so ago, you'll see I found similar results with 2 Pioneer units, the 563A and the Pioneer Elite 45A. One cost about 5 times as much, and on strictly a sound basis I found the results incredibly close. Tough justifying the extra cost, except for the higher quality video aspect in the Elite...too bad the newer Pioneer 578A took a short cut with the SACD DSD processing and is having reliability issues (ask Toenail about his experiences).
The 563A was a solid budget unit if you can find one though.

shokhead
04-09-2005, 05:14 AM
Don't even bother with an SACD-only or DVD-A only player. Get a universal unit, instead. Like what N.Abstentia said about blondes, it's just too limiting... As a matter of fact, see that your unit also plays the slightly thicker DD disks as well. From everything I've read, this looks like the new standard all the manufacturers are pushing for the future...

Thats said, there are now a lot more choices when shopping for a universal player than there were just a year or two ago, so take some time to find on that you like. I have a Sony SACD/DVD player, and while the unit has not hickup'ed yet, I am not very confident in the plastic construction throughout. I have evaluated higher end CD, DVD, Universal players from Onkyo, N'joe/Marantz, Denon, NAD, Sony, Cambridge, Pereaux, Shanling, and several others and the higher price does not always translate to better construction, insulated motor noise, and quality (read: heavier) innards. Make sure the unit is solidly built and can withstand the wear & tear you will be putting on it over the next few years.

While this has been covered in other discussions, I'm going to beat the dead horse a bit. Buying a cheaper unit every two years may be more economical, but a more expensive and well built unit will give you more time to enjoy your disks, get to know your music and the other components in your system. It won't require you to re-do all the research, shop for months, and reconfigure everything in your system to get optimal performance like the last time. It is far more enjoyable to settle in with a solid & reliable unit for several years.

Anyhow, that's just my opinion.

I'm on your side but very,very few to get that is universal a changer.
I see you live by me,know anyone looking for a nice sub? Got a Klipsch FS but at 75 pounds,i dont want to ship. :D :D