DVI vs. Component RGB for HDTV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVI vs. Component RGB for HDTV

Tahoe Gator
04-02-2005, 05:48 AM
Is there perceptable difference between a DVI connection and RGB Component video (3xRCA style)? DVI source will be a Comcast cable box. One downfall of DVI is that my receiver (NAD T773) does not switch it, so I can only get the cable box signal via DVI (everything else would need to be via the RGB or S-video or single component video), so unless there is perceptable difference, I'll forgo it. Also, I'm having to home run it to my equipment in the basement (13 ft.), which is a pain with a bulky DVI cable. Thanks!

edtyct
04-02-2005, 06:59 AM
I've compared component with DVI on the Motorola box. Don't sweat it on PQ grounds. I'd better add that if, or when, content providers start protecting certain broadcasts, and downconverting them via component, DVI will have a whole other purpose.

kexodusc
04-02-2005, 09:52 AM
It's important to understand that DVI and HDMI were not made to replace or improve upon Component Video cables...just another means of transfering video information...on most equipment I've seen to date (and I've been sampling a lot of video gear this past month), the picture quality difference are next to non-existant or very, very small. Some components (cable boxes, TV's) aren't very friendly to DVI/HDMI and results are often reported as being better with component video cables (as is the case with my Motorola HD-PVR cable box)...the decoder in TV vs. the decoder in the source will have a big role in determining which cable is better in your setup.
One thing I do like about HDMI is it's all in one convenience factor...man, they shoulda thunk of that years ago...

edtyct
04-02-2005, 10:10 AM
But, kex, I want to add one point. With a microdisplay, unlike with your CRT, the HDMI or DVI connection has the advantage of avoiding major D/A and A/D conversions, which can have a visible effect on PQ. It doesn't in every circumstance, but you can't know until you try it, because execution is part of the battle.

Ed

kexodusc
04-03-2005, 04:50 AM
You're right Ed, I definitely don't want to discount that. As I mentioned with HDMI/DVI right now the limiting factor I've noticed isn't the cable design itself, or the TV unit's conversion ability, but rather the lack of attention service providers or STB manufacturers (ahem...Motorola, Scientifc Atlanta) seem to have placed on them.
Guess I can't blame them, it's relatively new in the home consumer market, and probably a bit expensive...hopefully if it catches on and prices drop, this issue will resolve itself.