RGA - Audio Note AN J vs. Snell Type J !?! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RGA - Audio Note AN J vs. Snell Type J !?!

vr6ofpain
04-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Check these out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5763521115&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT

http://i17.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/b9/60/40_1_b.JPG
Snell Type K

http://www.audionote.co.uk/speakers/speakers/images/200/spkr_an-k_01.jpg
Audio Note AN-K

Jimmy C
04-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Check these out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5763521115&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT

http://i17.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/b9/60/40_1_b.JPG
Snell Type K

http://www.audionote.co.uk/speakers/speakers/images/200/spkr_an-k_01.jpg
Audio Note AN-K

...heard the ANs yet, but I had a pair of JIIs are they were pretty bad - very colored and closed-in sounding. The Dayton kit from PartsExpress is better in all areas for $139.

I'm sure the Audio Notes are better, and I'll find out ONE of these days!

I will say the Js were always non-fatigueing... you could play the worst recording in your collection, and it would be somewhat palatable. Problem is, nothing sounded great (even good, in my case).

Some people into vintage gear liked the first series a bit better. You can try AudioAsylum.com for people that may have heard both.

Your pic certainly looks like what I had, but mine was in Oak.

RGA
04-01-2005, 06:24 PM
yes the original K -- the only differences will be the internal wiring cabinet materials and drivers but the cabinet shape is exactly the same. Indeed, Peter would have preferred to have had the original drivers over the VIFA ones he's using with his AN-K's Rubber is an atrrocious conduit for sucking the life out of bass resolution and he could not get a driver maker to replicate the K's driver to his spec -- he would have to buy them in 10,000 unit alotments and the K isn;t quite a big enough seller.

The AN J gets considerably more bass than the original Snell Type J -- I have not heard the Snell J but the AN J sould remind the listener of and electrostatic openness in the midrange but not the narrow sweetspots of panels and it should have horn dynamics that presents a massive scale and power especially on horns with a front to back dimensionality that is rather spookey --- and at the same time be all day listenable even at louder levels. If the Snell J was not doing anything close to this then I would be surprised with all the raves Stereophile heaped on Snell and all the dealers carrying the line (These guys were huge in the 1980s). Indeed, Peter was a dealer so Snell stood out for some reason.

The one negative aspect however with all of these speakers using foam surrounds is that in humid provinces or states and countries the foam could need replacing every 5 years. In B.C. 20 years+ but in Ontario = 5 years and when the foam begins to go the sound is ****e.

RGA
04-01-2005, 06:26 PM
I think I will bid on them - re-foaming is cheap.

vr6ofpain
04-01-2005, 06:47 PM
I was outbid..... :)

RGA
04-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Stupid E-bay says they're sending me a login code but I don't have it. Then when I DO get it - hopefully soon -- then I have to convince this guy to send it to Canada. I'll bid up to $350.00US -- they look to be in excellent shape.

Why don't these folks want to ship to Canada --- it's really not that hard???

Geoffcin
04-01-2005, 07:33 PM
I was outbid..... :)

Bid on these instead;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14991&item=5764895726&rd=1

RGA
04-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Geofcin -- but you're a panel lover -- AN is it mate http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=speakers&n=111315&review=1

And note his comment about the Rel Subwoofer!

A fellow name Miroslav at the Milan show --

"What strongly separated the Audio Note room from the others was the level of energy the system could create. This exceeded any other system at the show including the monster in the Avantgarde room. To complete the paradox, of all the rooms we were able to audition in two days only the Audio Note room featured a “small” single-ended amp. This says something about the meaning of POWER in absolute terms and of POWER SUPPLY in those same terms. It was completely obvious that the quality of the power supply is a KEY ELEMENT in the final sound. The only other amplification where the quality of power supply was obvious was the Halcro amp (see the other Milan page) but then I was not so crazy about it’s overall sound character. The Audio Note system was able to play at very high levels without adverse consequences – the character of the sound, the tonal balance and dynamics, remained unchanged irrespective of volume setting. No other room could demonstrate that! Another feature of the Audio Note room was MUSIC, not effects. There were no test discs, “audiophile” pressings or the like, just good music on Decca, Philips and other great labels. There were a few other rooms like that but way under 10% in total….sad really.
I think Audio Note may be the only serious company out there that isn’t directed by the noise of “market analyses”, the audio press etc. and this is paying off."

And TAH didn;t believe me that Peter owns Avante Gaurdes -- he has a set of Uno's in the closet at their plant

vr6ofpain
04-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Bid on these instead;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14991&item=5764895726&rd=1

Spring clips.....I think not! :)

Stupid E-bay says they're sending me a login code but I don't have it. Then when I DO get it - hopefully soon -- then I have to convince this guy to send it to Canada. I'll bid up to $350.00US -- they look to be in excellent shape.

how much are these Snell's worth?

Geoffcin
04-02-2005, 01:54 AM

Yeah I can see there would be a problem with no room in the slip for your Valhalla cables.

theaudiohobby
04-02-2005, 04:50 AM
And TAH didn;t believe me that Peter owns Avante Gaurdes -- he has a set of Uno's in the closet at their plant

re-read your post, we have never mentioned Avant Gardes, Apogee and Avant Garde sound and spell different don't they?

theaudiohobby
04-02-2005, 05:08 AM
Now something to poke fun (http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=speakers&n=111345&highlight=&session=) at

Hi,
I have the AN E/Sp and have 4' feet from back wall and about 2' from side walls as measured from the tweeter. THey are 8' apart and toed in by about a foot behind my head.
My problem is a have a 53" RPTV in between which is about 2' in depth. How do you suggest I locate the spks? Right now imaging and soundstage are awesome with tremendous bass that sounds like there is a subwoofer on.

Paraphase
I need advice on the how to correctly position my great and wonderful speaker because I have an oversized TV plunking in the middle of my speakers, but right now 'imaging and soundstage are awesome and the bass sounds like there is a subwoofer on. :p :p :p , yes, really.

Lord_Magnepan
04-02-2005, 06:51 AM
Lol, if all AN owners are like that...then good night.

vr6ofpain
04-02-2005, 08:04 AM
Yeah I can see there would be a problem with no room in the slip for your Valhalla cables.

:)
I'm seriously laughing after reading that!

Actually my speaker cables in one system are cheap-o radio shack 'mega cable', and my main system I use some kimber kable 4VS (?? grey and black) that I got used off ebay for $30+shipping(3 runs of 8 feet, so 24 ft for $30).

vr6ofpain
04-02-2005, 08:09 AM
:)
I'm seriously laughing after reading that!

Actually my speaker cables in one system are cheap-o radio shack 'mega cable', and my main system I use some kimber kable 4VS (?? grey and black) that I got used off ebay for $30+shipping(3 runs of 8 feet, so 24 ft for $30).

but more to the point, i have spades which would not work with those. (just for your info, the spades were really cheap, i picked up a pack for two speakers (8 spades) for $3.99 at an audio parts store. there were apparently 'gold plated'.....they look gold plated, but i wouldn't say they are quality.

Geoffcin
04-02-2005, 10:31 AM
but more to the point, i have spades which would not work with those. (just for your info, the spades were really cheap, i picked up a pack for two speakers (8 spades) for $3.99 at an audio parts store. there were apparently 'gold plated'.....they look gold plated, but i wouldn't say they are quality.

Magnepan in their infinite wisdom has one of the best, (or worse depending on how you see it terminal connectors). They are small set screws that close down on the bare wire. While probably fine if you dont mind stripping the connectors off your cables, the've forced many a maggie owner to purchase aftermarket spade terminals. I coun't my self one of the hoards that just can't bring themselves to strip off my spades.

Geoffcin
04-02-2005, 10:54 AM
A hijacking of a thread about A/N speakers, instead of the other way around!

OK guys, here's your chance;

Let's see some hyper-verbose posts with inane circular arguments that will suck the life out of this thread as fast as possible. Remember to make sure that you post has nothing to do with this thread at all. Preferbably it should be on audio technology that you are just so in love with that it give you goose bumps just to even mention it.

Lord_Magnepan
04-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Well i am so freaking exited to get my Apogee Scintilla's soon. I mean come on, if you know audio those things are a freaking legend. And a 1ohm rating is just freaking brutal and surely seperates the man from the boys. Also the things plays 110db @ 4m perfectly flat at 20Hz....and i dont even have a box. So much for planars having no bass !!

But besides me almost wetting my pants for exitment, i must say that the weather here is quite nice :p

RGA
04-02-2005, 03:54 PM
re-read your post, we have never mentioned Avant Gardes, Apogee and Avant Garde sound and spell different don't they?

No I said he buys many of the major competitors speakers which you implied he does not. He has the Apogee Scintilla as of my last discourse with him last summer -- so unless he sold them I don't see why it would change. I should think that selling his expensive lines some people would indeed want to hear it directly against the other pricey gear...so it's nice that he can let them hear it and compare -- the Scintilla was supposedly the best of the planar lot so it behooves Peter to know what he's up against first -- I would think most companies interested in myusic reproduction would be doing the same thing though so this isn't to say Peter is superior -- if I was going to build Printers I'd buy several of what the reviews say ios best and figure out what is good about them what is bad and then build my printer with all the good stuff and then fix up some of the weaknesses. Indeed, companies who don't do that I'd wonder about.

RGA
04-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Lol, if all AN owners are like that...then good night.

What people who like properly reproduced music -- what kind of owner are you?

RGA
04-02-2005, 04:15 PM

Worth is in the eye of the beholder...they sold for under $200.00US. But the speaker is more than 23 years old and only retailed for $350.00US back then -- so all in all that isn't a horrible.

One guy on a forum last year (2004) was ready to buy a used 1992 bottom of the line AN K for $600.00GBP --- that AN K model retailed in 1992 for $599.00GBP.

Now this bottom K would be very similar to the original Snell...the difference i suspect is that Snell has largely lost popularity in huigh end circles and used prices can reflect whether or not a unit is popular. Audio Note because they keep tightening their models and raising prices inflates the alue of used Audio Note speakaers because people FORGET to look at what the specific model went for in the year it was sold.

So the AN K/D which this forumer was inquiring about looks at new Audio Note K models and sees $1,950.00. $600.00 then looks like quite a deal (and the original owner gets 12 years out of speaker for the difference in the value of the dollar from 1992 to 2004 and makes out well) This applies to many things non AN related as well of course. Brystons excellent warranty is a way to keep used prices high, models with the same name but adding MKII or Version 2 or SE can work because people figure that the V1 and V2 are probably the same or really close.

I had to go to an education conferance today to present a thesis and when I got home the bidding had ended for the Snell - the guy said he would have shipped it to me too -- oh well -- I would have doubled the highest bid because my dealer could easily make the upgrades on it. But the wiring and crossover does need to be replaced...still I think the K would be more suited to foam surrounds...but the Snell K driver is scarce.

RGA
04-02-2005, 04:16 PM
A hijacking of a thread about A/N speakers, instead of the other way around!

OK guys, here's your chance;

Let's see some hyper-verbose posts with inane circular arguments that will suck the life out of this thread as fast as possible. Remember to make sure that you post has nothing to do with this thread at all. Preferbably it should be on audio technology that you are just so in love with that it give you goose bumps just to even mention it.

I don;t mind -- technically it's a thread about Snell speakers -- and so AN is still a hijacking technically speaking.

theaudiohobby
04-02-2005, 04:33 PM
No I said he buys many of the major competitors speakers which you implied he does not

An excerpt from a previous post (http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=77564&postcount=56)

Your comments about Peter Q owning 100s of competitors product seems hyperbolic, a few maybe but 100s..hmm, even less likely if as you say he recommends a whole system approach.

It will be good idea to go and reread your old posts so that you do not misquote yourself ;), a photo of a single Avant Garde hardly translates into 100s of competitor's products, does it? I failed to notice the 100s of competitor's products in the photo :) ?

Lord_Magnepan
04-03-2005, 01:21 PM
What people who like properly reproduced music -- what kind of owner are you? Well what kind of owner am I? Never thought of that, but lets see. I am an owner who has some serious equipment along with speakers that are considered by more people than any other speaker to be ontop of whats possible in music reproduction.

If your maestro has a Scintilla because they want to compare it to the best, well than you already know what kind of owner i am. Also my Scintilla's have new handmade precision crafted ribbons incl. new internal wiring, better feet and chassis. She is better than the originals in a lot of ways.

Now i have heard you AN-K before on Bluecirlce and i told you that i was not impressed. I read good things about AN electronics, but have never heard them. you just have to accept the fact that we do not like your 135K wodden MDF box!!

Do you really think that my 8K $ 3.6R/SE or 10K $ Scintilla sounds 16875 times worse than your AN-K..... they are freaking overprized like hell !!!

I listen very critically, and i am only 21 yrs old. If i find something better than i am sure i will own it someday, but i have not heard a speaker that sounds like life anywhere exept for the Apogee and a perfectly setup 20.1..eventough the Apogee is still better..

You know the reviews of the Scintilla, and you know exaclty what they are capable off. I am not saying that the AN speakers are bad, but man there are other products out there too.

Lord_Magnepan
04-03-2005, 01:26 PM
An excerpt from a previous post (http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=77564&postcount=56)

It will be good idea to go and reread your old posts so that you do not misquote yourself ;), a photo of a single Avant Garde hardly translates into 100s of competitor's products, does it? I failed to notice the 100s of competitor's products in the photo :) ?
Besides if you own 100's of competitors speakers, than you would need a huge storage room and literaly 100's of electronics combinations and cables. Because its damn unfair to compare your speaker to another one when using matched electronics to your system but not matching components on the competitiors system.

I am sorry my friend, but AN seems like a freaking ripoff and a huge maerketing machine just like BOSE. Ok the sound better than BOSE and are surelly in the High END realm, but i still dont like what i read and heard so far.

RGA
04-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Well what kind of owner am I? Never thought of that, but lets see. I am an owner who has some serious equipment along with speakers that are considered by more people than any other speaker to be ontop of whats possible in music reproduction.

If your maestro has a Scintilla because they want to compare it to the best, well than you already know what kind of owner i am. Also my Scintilla's have new handmade precision crafted ribbons incl. new internal wiring, better feet and chassis. She is better than the originals in a lot of ways.

Now i have heard you AN-K before on Bluecirlce and i told you that i was not impressed. I read good things about AN electronics, but have never heard them. you just have to accept the fact that we do not like your 135K wodden MDF box!!

Do you really think that my 8K $ 3.6R/SE or 10K $ Scintilla sounds 16875 times worse than your AN-K..... they are freaking overprized like hell !!!

I listen very critically, and i am only 21 yrs old. If i find something better than i am sure i will own it someday, but i have not heard a speaker that sounds like life anywhere exept for the Apogee and a perfectly setup 20.1..eventough the Apogee is still better..

You know the reviews of the Scintilla, and you know exaclty what they are capable off. I am not saying that the AN speakers are bad, but man there are other products out there too.

Ahh I see so I should judge the maggie 20 off hearing the Magie SMG is that right?

Yes I am not saying the Scintilla is bad either...but Planars have more porblems than they are worth to me and very few benefits-- and that Scintilla does not have an in room measured response dead flat to 20hz-- get real -- it does not even beat the AN E -- Yes a lot of folks like planars so what? A lot of folks like the Bose 901 too.

RGA
04-03-2005, 07:31 PM

Well I put it to you -- over the last 25 years has Peter owned at least 100+1 competitors products researching what it is they are doing...does he have them all now at this moment in time would make no sense --- he may not even have that Avante Gaurde -- once you've done the work pulling it apart and seeing what it's up too you don't need it anymore...I forgot one needs to be overly explicit with anal SOBS.

RGA
04-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Besides if you own 100's of competitors speakers, than you would need a huge storage room and literaly 100's of electronics combinations and cables. Because its damn unfair to compare your speaker to another one when using matched electronics to your system but not matching components on the competitiors system.

I am sorry my friend, but AN seems like a freaking ripoff and a huge maerketing machine just like BOSE. Ok the sound better than BOSE and are surelly in the High END realm, but i still dont like what i read and heard so far.

A huge marketing engine eh? They don't advertise, they have no product literature, they let reviewers review it by request -- not the begging and pleading and providing free Seiko watches or free componants others have done. Get real then some dimbulbs will say well they have a web-site and that's advertising...get real -- hell AN didn't even make the site a fan did and Peter doesn't update it - because they have no Marketing department! It's not needed -- good sound will sell - if you like it you go tot he website and it will tell you about their belief systems. Yes it's so over the top like Bose --- Magnepan does a far harder hard sell than AN -- in fact most every stereo company of even moderate size advertises more than AN.

The Scintilla is rated:

Type: three-way full-range ribbon dipole
Frequency response: 30 to 25,000Hz, ±3 dB
Recommended minimum amplifier power rating:
100 watts/channel

Add to this horrible impedence loads and one is forced to buy a big watt amplifier (few are any good) If you can stand the sound of Krell you'll need one for these speakers but at least Krell operates in a pseudo class A - which ti doesn;t even though they try and claim it does --- there's an advertising gimmick. Not to mention the buildquality was poor and they had what was known as the great "panel wearing problem" and with no Apogee dealers to help you out.

Planars have a sound that some people will like and like Stats I get why they do -- but this bloke reviewed the AN E/D which si the cheapest speakers he comments on -- and if you actually bother to read the review -- you'll note that he ALSO very much likes Apogee -- he STILL owns a pair...the reason I post enthusiastically is that they remind me of the good stuff that stats do well -- but IMO they also do what good horns do well. This review is of an older E/D which was made of chipboard -- they now make the bottom of the line out of birch ply - They use SEAS woofers which is one of the very best driver makers in the world and Foster tweeeters which are lesser known here and cannot be bought by the general public the AN K uses Vifa throughout which is also good but not SEAS. http://www.stereotimes.com/speak071701.shtm

Peter used to be dealer have you? He has been to and listened to virtually everything that has been considered good over the last 40 years+ and has listened to live music in places you've probably not even heard of -- he has a personal music collection that is over 70,000 strong. i'm not telling you what you SHOULD like -- I could care less -- but stop trying to insuate they're cheap or cost nothing to make. My dealer had the maggie 20 - so they must have been at least very very good because he paid his own money to buy them.

Lord_Magnepan
04-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Ahh I see so I should judge the maggie 20 off hearing the Magie SMG is that right?

Yes I am not saying the Scintilla is bad either...but Planars have more porblems than they are worth to me and very few benefits-- and that Scintilla does not have an in room measured response dead flat to 20hz-- get real -- it does not even beat the AN E -- Yes a lot of folks like planars so what? A lot of folks like the Bose 901 too.
I guess i shouldnt have listened to all the owners of Scintillas and to the profesional reviewers that measure them down to 20Hz....

you right, ill buy a 60K MDF BOX.....

--------------------------------------------------------------NOT

Lord_Magnepan
04-03-2005, 11:13 PM
The early Scintillas were were configurable for a 1 or 4ohm load, the later models were 1ohm only (from 1987 approximately). While the 4ohm setting on the earlier models made the Speaker considerably easier to drive, according to the reviewers in doing so lost some of it's "magic".
The Krells were made for the Apogee's and sound there best on them. Krell's and Apogee's are a awsome match. Or the new H2O Amp's from Henry.

The 1ohm setting is very vicious indeed, it has been reported to me that a Krell 250a (the recent "cheap" power amp from Krell) expired whilst trying!
I wouldnt put some crap as a AN AMP on there, thats because this speaker will seperate the MAN from the boys.

Still considered by some to be one of the best speakers in terms of vocal reproduction with crystal clear treble and very well extended bass, reaching a true 20Hz in test.
Man, i guess i need to buy a AN speaker to get that cool MDF sound which gets amplified by the wall resonances that every professional person tries to avoid, since the waves loose signal strength and early reflections are not what i want.

We preferred the very expensive Krell mono KMA-100 ($4,900/pair) and 200watt KMA-200 ($7,500/pair) amplifiers for driving the Scintillas. We used them in a bi-amplified fashion (a pair of KMA-100s for midrange and tweeter, a pair of KMA-200s for the woofers), which produced the widest dynamic range. At 1 ohm, the KMA-100 is claimed to deliver 800 watts per channel and the KMA-200 puts out 1,600 watts per channel. A single pair of Krells were "bi-wired" (two speaker cables connected to each amplifier output terminal) to each Scintilla's double set of speaker posts: SPL measurements showed Scintilla output peaks of 94 dB (KMA-100s) and 98 dB (KMA-200s) at audible clipping. No change in tonal character or sudden presence effects were heard at 1 ohm-just sweet, open, detailed sound. Dan D'Agostino, the Krells' designer, uses the Apogees as a test load. The Classé Audio DR-3 amp also performs beautifully at the low-impedance setting.
Well looky here, only Krell and Classe sounds good on these at that time. Your AN dealer uses the Apogees on a 4ohm load since non of the AMP from AN will push these on 1ohm which sucks because they loose their magic when driven in 4ohms.

Lord_Magnepan
04-03-2005, 11:18 PM
Give us all a brake with that stupid overprized junk for godssake. And there is no reason for your Maestro to own Apogee's since they are not made anymore. He likes them better than his AN stuff and thats why he has it, needs some quality in his life.

Besides, they have a huge marketing machine with over 2000 post. YOU!!! You advertise it on every freaking page for gods sake!!!

Lord_Magnepan
04-03-2005, 11:27 PM
On a serious note, i could care less what some idiot reviews no matter what speaker it is. But your flooding the entire freaking website with AudioNote stuff, and it pisses me off. You do not need to say anything if they are that good. You have to accept that just like SoundLab, Apogee, Magnepan or QUAD you have a product made for a small group of fans. Even Magnepan is a very large company and sells the most planars in the world (a lot more speakers than AN) they are still small compared to others.

Just stop advertising and writing some stupid opiniated crap everywhere. I can flood the forum too with raving post from Magnepan, SoundLab and Apogee.

-Flo

theaudiohobby
04-04-2005, 02:59 AM
Original Post (http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=77556&postcount=53)

I'm surprised because my dealer sold his maggie 20 for the E/LX and Peter Q currently owns the Apogee Scintilla --- if you're in England you can hear them directly against each other. Peter owns 100s of competitors components precisely for such demos.

and your new rendering

Well I put it to you -- over the last 25 years has Peter owned at least 100+1 competitors products researching what it is they are doing...does he have them all now at this moment in time would make no sense --- he may not even have that Avante Gaurde -- once you've done the work pulling it apart and seeing what it's up too you don't need it anymore...I forgot one needs to be overly explicit...

No, all you need to do is stop exaggeration and hyperbole.

Florian
04-04-2005, 03:35 AM
If i would say that i have a Apogee Fullrange on 4 Krell MRA blocks, than you would say that your maestro has them too. Let me guess he also own ML Statements and the big Kharmas.....gimma a break

RGA
04-04-2005, 09:08 AM
I guess i shouldnt have listened to all the owners of Scintillas and to the profesional reviewers that measure them down to 20Hz....

you right, ill buy a 60K MDF BOX.....

--------------------------------------------------------------NOT

The quote I gave you was measured by Stereophile -- Are they professional. You're easily led.

RGA
04-04-2005, 09:35 AM
If i would say that i have a Apogee Fullrange on 4 Krell MRA blocks, than you would say that your maestro has them too. Let me guess he also own ML Statements and the big Kharmas.....gimma a break

No actually I don't know each and every piece he owns but I do know in an exchange on another forum with another oposter that he has or had at that time the Scintilla -- he sold them so he must of felt they were good and had some merit worth being studied. The Scintilla was not THAT expensive as I recall and if he bought them as a dealer then it would have been at dealer costs. Audio Shows can determine much as well -- but planars are extremely difficult to set up properly (so Lord magnepan whining about the room with a boxed speaker makes zero sense since planars ARE one of if not the absolute worst speakers for room needs going) -- probably why Peter bought them to use.

Going on about MDF still is funny as they are made from real wood...attacking a speaker using MDF you've insulted pretty much everyone on this forum that owns a boxed speaker.

Ohh and just to burst your bubble from Magnepan:

"While the drivers are being built, so are the other components of each speaker. The speaker frames are precision machined on a CNC lathe from sheets of MDF, after which they are painted black to be less visually obtrusive.../...Drivers are mounted into the MDF frames and wired to the crossovers. The grilles are stretched over the frames, and the rear hardware is added, including trip pots for the drivers."

So it seems magnepan is using that crappy MDF you hate so much!

46minaudio
04-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Original Post (http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=77556&postcount=53)
Originally Posted by RGA
I'm surprised because my dealer sold his maggie 20 for the E/LX and Peter Q currently owns the Apogee Scintilla --- if you're in England you can hear them directly against each other. Peter owns 100s of competitors components precisely for such demos.

and your new rendering
Originally Posted by RGA
Well I put it to you -- over the last 25 years has Peter owned at least 100+1 competitors products researching what it is they are doing...does he have them all now at this moment in time would make no sense --- he may not even have that Avante Gaurde -- once you've done the work pulling it apart and seeing what it's up too you don't need it anymore...I forgot one needs to be overly explicit...

No, all you need to do is stop exaggeration and hyperbole.
Yep thats RGA,,Willing to outright lie in order to shill AN...

Florian
04-04-2005, 12:41 PM
RGA...you are such a n00bie.

So it seems magnepan is using that crappy MDF you hate so much!

the funny thing is that they actually use cherry wood, and even if they use cheap MDF,.....who cares?!?! They have no chassie!! Unlike your ****ty AN-----Maggies do not hava box !!!!

And besided that, now he sold the Apogee Scintilla as soon as i mention it.

You are so full of crap and you know why? The Scinitlla was build from 1987 to 1992 and had 2 different versions. Your dumb dealer cant get **** for a dealer price because the company closed in 98!!!

Man, this ticks me off. Dont you get it that noone likes your ****head advertisment anymore ?!!?

PS: Next time you say some **** about Planars, and least realize that they dont have a box....N00B on the loose